It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:11 am

Horrible News - Bridgend lose a Great Man 
World XV Player

Post Horrible News - Bridgend lose a Great Man
With great personal sadness I have to report the death of Gareth Williams, Lion, Welsh International and a Bridgend captain among the very best. A tall and athletic back-row forward, Williams helped Bridgend win two Welsh Cups during their four successive finals appearances between 1979 and 1982.

He also coached Bridgend for a few seasons and his mighty frame is the subject of a statue on Cheapside, Bridgend.

Bridgend have issued the following statement :-

It is with great sadness that we report the passing away of former captain Gareth Williams, after a long battle against illness. A @lionsofficial player in 1980, as well as playing in four consecutive Welsh cup final he was a true club legend.

It seems Gareth suffered for several years and he was bedridden towards the end of his life as the illness took hold …

Hedwch Gar, may God grant you glory.

Sun May 13, 2018 10:12 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Horrible News - Bridgend lose a Great Man
Many years ago when i as working under ground one of the boys had a really bad accident, his heel was run over by a dram full of coal and was smashed to bits. The engineer at the time was Roy "eyes in the sky" Evans who played 2nd row for Bridgend and along with a few others arranged an all star team to play against out pit team in a benefit game. Gareth Williams came up and played and brought up a signed Brigend cup final jersey to raffle and chatting to him after the game he came across a real gentleman. Sad loss

Sun May 13, 2018 2:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I remember him, awful circumstance ....

RIP

Sun May 13, 2018 4:12 pm
World XV Player

A great shame. Condolences to the family. I used to see him on the train from time to time but never tried to enter into conversation with him. I wish I had done so now as he seemed a really nice guy and a gentleman.

Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
A great shame. Condolences to the family. I used to see him on the train from time to time but never tried to enter into conversation with him. I wish I had done so now as he seemed a really nice guy and a gentleman.

That would have made 2 of you, then ;)

Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm
World XV Player

Awful that he was bedridden during the final stages of his life. Well done for posting this Bouchy.
Condolences to Gareth’s family. At least he is now at peace and not suffering.

Fri May 18, 2018 10:56 pm
Profile E-mail