Scarlet v Ulster Sat 24/2/18 
World XV Player

Post Re: Scarlet v Ulster Sat 24/2/18
najbritcol wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fingal wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
The Scarlets reserves played remarkably well against an international-packed Ulster in the end. 34-10! What is noticeable is how they have been improving with each game following the Treviso fiasco.

Well done Scarlets but your building up a pretty poor Ulster side who are in free fall since they got knocked out of Europe.

Losing to a severely under-strength Scarlets side in this manner is but the latest disgraceful and inexplicable result on the part of Ulster. This Ulster team had the likes of Bowe, Trimble, McCloskey -
all experienced Test players. I really don't get it - their backline is up there with the best in Europe, they have a generous budget which they have used on good players over the years like Piutau and Pienaar, yet when you think how much both Leinster and Munster have dominated the Pro 12 and Europe for over a decade, Ulster look really mediocre by comparison.

Agree with a great deal of that, apart from the bit about McCloskey being an experienced test player: he only has 3 senior caps and two for Emerging Ireland. Contrast that with Bowe and Trimble; veritable international veterans, with the level of experience that brings.

Doubt we'll see either of them in international green, again.

Sean

What would your explanation be as to why Ulster generally underachieve compared to the other two big Irish provinces?

That's a good question and I'm not sure i have an answer sufficient.

The quality players are certainly there, but it all has the feel of Ireland 2013, immediately prior to the appointment of Schmidt.

Keeping Lealiifano would have helped; sadly not to be.

Biggest thing for me though: the loss of Piennaar; kept them moving and simply terrified defences whenever he had the ball. Cooney and co are not the same argument. Honest tradesmen, but nothing more.

Not sure what's happened to Piutau either and I'd play him at centre, at least short term. Ulster need results.

Sean

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Abertawe Leinster wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fingal wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
The Scarlets reserves played remarkably well against an international-packed Ulster in the end. 34-10! What is noticeable is how they have been improving with each game following the Treviso fiasco.

Well done Scarlets but your building up a pretty poor Ulster side who are in free fall since they got knocked out of Europe.

Losing to a severely under-strength Scarlets side in this manner is but the latest disgraceful and inexplicable result on the part of Ulster. This Ulster team had the likes of Bowe, Trimble, McCloskey -
all experienced Test players. I really don't get it - their backline is up there with the best in Europe, they have a generous budget which they have used on good players over the years like Piutau and Pienaar, yet when you think how much both Leinster and Munster have dominated the Pro 12 and Europe for over a decade, Ulster look really mediocre by comparison.

Agree with a great deal of that, apart from the bit about McCloskey being an experienced test player: he only has 3 senior caps and two for Emerging Ireland. Contrast that with Bowe and Trimble; veritable international veterans, with the level of experience that brings.

Sean

What would your explanation be as to why Ulster generally underachieve compared to the other two big Irish provinces?

The quality players are certainly there, but it all has the feel of Ireland 2013, immediately prior to the appointment of Schmidt.

Biggest thing for me though: the loss of Piennaar; kept them moving and simply terrified defences whenever he had the ball. Cooney and co are not the same argument. Honest tradesmen, but nothing more.

Not sure what's happened to Piutau either and I'd play him at centre, at least short term. Ulster need results.

Sean

Piutau dislocated a rib cartilage so he may have played his last for Ulster.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:56 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fingal wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Sean

Sean

Piutau dislocated a rib cartilage so he may have played his last for Ulster.

If he has, that's a shame and Bristol are getting a massive player (in every sense) for next season.

Thanks for the update.

Sean

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
now 27-10 :thumbup:

and presumably no problems with the schedule?

Typical moronic comment :thumbdown:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:27 am
World XV Player

Great win against a strong Ulster team. Well done bois bach.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:52 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Well nobody expected that result. There was quite a feeling of foreboding around the ground before the game, a feeling which got even more pronounced after Ulster's first try. The Scarlets back three in particular were thought to be a weak link. As it turned out, they were not a weak link at all and we might have unearthed another gem in Conbear.

Given how depleted the squad is at the moment, I would put that result down as the Scarlets best result this season.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:46 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Well nobody expected that result. There was quite a feeling of foreboding around the ground before the game, a feeling which got even more pronounced after Ulster's first try. The Scarlets back three in particular were thought to be a weak link. As it turned out, they were not a weak link at all and we might have unearthed another gem in Conbear.

Given how depleted the squad is at the moment, I would put that result down as the Scarlets best result this season.

good post Rob.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:58 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

good post Rob.

Cheers Leight. :thumbup:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:09 pm
World XV Player

That win should guarantee a play off place, the big one is next week against Leinster

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
That win should guarantee a play off place, the big one is next week against Leinster

And as it stands, I would tip you to win it.

Sean

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Abertawe Leinster wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

And as it stands, I would tip you to win it.

Sean

Shame these games are played in the 6 Nations window

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:43 pm
World XV Player

Abertawe Leinster wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fingal wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Sean

Sean

Pienaar was an accomplished Fly half and Scrumhalf. He could fill either position in any international team. He was the ultimate 'cool hand luke' and always seemed to have plenty of time to do what was best for his team. A little bit like Henson, in a way.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I had a total hip replacement on Friday so I missed the match. Only got home last night so I'll try and watch the game later today.
I've got to admit that I was very surprised to see that we beat Ulster with a five-pointer despite missing so many Wales players and other through injury.
I hope we can repeat the dose against Leinster with the same team.
If we can we seriously have to look to Pivac and Stephen Jones for Wales coaching roles after Gats.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

BigRed wrote:
I had a total hip replacement on Friday so I missed the match. Only got home last night so I'll try and watch the game later today.
I've got to admit that I was very surprised to see that we beat Ulster with a five-pointer despite missing so many Wales players and other through injury.
If we can we seriously have to look to Pivac and Stephen Jones for Wales coaching roles after Gats.
And then what do the Scal's do for a coaching team?

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
BigRed wrote:
And then what do the Scal's do for a coaching team?

Rassie Erasmus? (Once SA inevitably sack him after yet more dreadful results).

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 pm
Profile E-mail