It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 am

Old Age and Rugby 
Regional Player

Post Old Age and Rugby
Anyone out there struggling with arthritis?

I am 63 and feeling every year of it. 18 months ago I underwent treatment for prostate cancer which was about as minimal as cancer treatment can be. 18 months prior to that I was at death's door with pneumonia, which the much maligned Prince Charles Hospital cured in about 4 hours (I kid you not). I was a very healthy specimen until I hit 60.

Anyway, I played rugby from 11 to 38 when my knees couldn't take any more knocks and twists. I was a very serious trainer and at the low league stuff I played was one of the fittest. I kept this up when I finished playing, and because I didn't get any knocks I would say I got fitter. I was certainly lifting more weight and doing more distance, calories etc on the exercise machines.

At about 55 my right knee started seizing up. The medics had a look inside but found only arthritis which they could do nothing about.

8 years later both knees are stiff, painful, and while i can walk the dog for 7/8 miles a day that is about all I can do. My sacroiliac joints in my low back have joined in with the arthritis. I am struggling to do stuff like put my socks on or pick up my dog's shit off the ground. I do a pile of exercises each morning to stretch my back, knees etc. I am seeing the knee surgeon in a few weeks but I don't think surgery is going to do what I want.

I am writing this boring piece to see if anyone else is fighting the effects of rugby injuries and to see if there is a way of overcoming this stiffness and pain.

I am not looking to run marathons, I would love to be able to do say 3 - 5 km fun runs and to be able to bend down to pick stuff up.

Sorry if this is boring to the younger people but believe me, you are probably heading this way if you are getting loads of bumps and strains. Also apologies if this thread is in the wrong section.

So folks, anyone out there managing to overcome arthritis?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Old Age and Rugby
I'm 38, still playing, but I'm a wreck. Started playing at 5, played a very high standard in my late teens but total dog shit level now

I already have OA in both knees, both shoulders, and both elbows.

One knee will have to be replaced in the next ten years

It might not be relevant but for your knees and back, look at seeing a physio and ask about hip alignment, it's helped me loads, apparently its what caused the arthritis and ruined the cartilidge, if I'd known about it 10 years ago it might have saved the knee.

My shoulders and elbows are caused by calcification in the joints, and complications from a broken neck, apparently surgery is an option but nit until I stop.

I don't look forward to the future much

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

whatever happens, good luck with all your health issues

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

The older I get the better I was, and I was very good by now :D

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Last game I played was Bromley v Old Cranleighans @ 27 (broken ribs, suspected bruised kidney).

Only persistent effect is the ear bruising I got from the wife, ...when friends brought me home from hospital (escaped A+E after pleading with them...didn't want to stay there in Farnborough hospital emergency on a Saturday night, no home phone then) and told the wife I wasn't in good shape ..."Pissed again is he, better bring him in then George" ...

Oh the coarse art of rugby 49 years ago! :D

Bromley had 6 teams, 1sy XV, 2nd XV, A, Extra A, B, Extra B ... the Extra B didn't sound too bad then ... team consisted sometimes of people picked up from bus stops.

PS It wasn't the Extra B team fpr me ;)

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 am
World XV Player

I'm 63 ,the only pains I got that I can definitey put down to rugby is in my spine between the shoulder blades, landed on my head after a spear tackle , back and for the quacks for weeks after all they were concerned about were headaches flashing lights or double vision , now when I sneeze I have to hold myself as it cells like the vertebrae are separating.
There was a post on here a couple of months ago about Glucosamine as a joint supplement I am finding this is helping.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

It's nowt to do with rugby, but I get arthritis in my elbows. Best cure I've found is to eat a tin of mackeral for lunch every day. May be an old wives tale, but it seems to do the trick.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:18 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
It's nowt to do with rugby, but I get arthritis in my elbows. Best cure I've found is to eat a tin of mackeral for lunch every day. May be an old wives tale, but it seems to do the trick.

And makes your breath smell all afternoon :(

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
I'm 38, still playing, but I'm a wreck. Started playing at 5, played a very high standard in my late teens but total dog shit level now

I already have OA in both knees, both shoulders, and both elbows.

One knee will have to be replaced in the next ten years

It might not be relevant but for your knees and back, look at seeing a physio and ask about hip alignment, it's helped me loads, apparently its what caused the arthritis and ruined the cartilidge, if I'd known about it 10 years ago it might have saved the knee.

My shoulders and elbows are caused by calcification in the joints, and complications from a broken neck, apparently surgery is an option but nit until I stop.

I don't look forward to the future much

Jeez Mate!. I would seriously quit while you have an option to take that decision yourself. One of my regrets now is that I can't have a decent kickabout with the youngsters in my family. I so miss being able to play with my grandkids like that.

I went through intensive physio a few years ago and it worked wonders. It included a lot of work in a hydro therapy pool. I felt a million dollars and started back in the gym doing serious work. Several months later I slipped on a slimy footway and twisted my leg back under my arse. It was worse than ever. Unfortunately no bones broke and so the soft tissue in my knee and ankle took the strain. It took months to walk a few hundred meters.

Anyway, having made my initial woe is me post, I went on Youtube yesterday and found some new exercises for my knees and sacroiliac joints. Fingers crossed I will be able to tell the surgeon next month that I cured myself!

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If any old timers out there miss playing the game.
They are starting a walking rugby event at Sardis Rd , less chance of old injuries flaring up.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

jimcardiff wrote:
They are starting a walking rugby event at Sardis Rd , less chance of old injuries flaring up.

I will try and get along to that. !st March, 11 - 12.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:

Finally, the Blues are playing there?!

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:

Lidles do a lovely tinned mackeral.

I got kicked between the legs by a fat prop, when i was about 11 and used to wake up with a large swelling there every morning for around 40 years! strangely enough, this little problem appears to have disappeared since i reached fifty :scratch: :scratch:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

I got kicked between the legs by a fat prop, when i was about 11 and used to wake up with a large swelling there every morning for around 40 years! strangely enough, this little problem appears to have disappeared since i reached fifty :scratch: :scratch:

Swelling between the legs?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Swelling between the legs?

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:33 pm
Profile E-mail