It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:12 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Ben Woodburn lifts Wales 
Author Message
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 6713
Location: rhondda
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
Ireland win Serbia lose

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5850
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
We shall be at the game on Monday night and what a huge game it is. We could win the group or finish second or third. I have a feeling of excitement and sheer dread.


Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 13437
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
Let's hope we get the rub of the green.

_________________
As a scummer once said 'we dont produce anything and live meaningless lives doing meaningless jobs just to payback money that never really existed in the first place'.


Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 9603
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
Out

Will Coleman stay on or am I right in thinking he said that would be it either way?


Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 13437
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
No rub of the green unfortunately.

_________________
As a scummer once said 'we dont produce anything and live meaningless lives doing meaningless jobs just to payback money that never really existed in the first place'.


Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 28229
Location: Pontllanfraith
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
Awful performance, never really looked like scoring, terrible error by Ashley Williams but he's been prone to a few for Everton this year. He's gone backwards since leaving Swansea or the years are catching up with him!

Thought Ramsey had a shocking game, pies poor corners, freekicks, attempts on goal, poor touch on final ball

Ireland not much better but deserved to win as we never had a clear-cut chance really!

Reminds me of 1977, 1985 and 1993!

_________________
Dear England, you can make as many sheep jokes as you want, you voted for a pig *fupper*!


Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:54 pm
Posts: 3881
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
I'm a bit too young to remember 1977 and 1985, but it doesn't remind me of 1993. In 1993 we were 4th seeds in a tough tough group. This time 1st seeds in a decent group. The 1993 team would have tanked Eire of 2017. It really should have been between Wales and Ireland this time around.

Whereas (and perhaps it is youth and memory bias) I felt the final table did "lie" in 1993, this time we never got going and only got into a play off position due to Ireland losing a bit of form towards the end. The lack of cutting edge was apparent all qualification.


Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:54 pm
Posts: 3881
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
We shouldn't be only getting 2 points from 6 against Serbia and drawing at home to Georgia - we do not deserve to qualify.

Well done to Serbia though a remarkable turnaround - they didn't even make the playoffs in 2016.


Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 28229
Location: Pontllanfraith
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
stujones1 wrote:
We shouldn't be only getting 2 points from 6 against Serbia and drawing at home to Georgia - we do not deserve to qualify.

Well done to Serbia though a remarkable turnaround - they didn't even make the playoffs in 2016.

Agreed

_________________
Dear England, you can make as many sheep jokes as you want, you voted for a pig *fupper*!


Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 28229
Location: Pontllanfraith
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
stujones1 wrote:
I'm a bit too young to remember 1977 and 1985, but it doesn't remind me of 1993. In 1993 we were 4th seeds in a tough tough group. This time 1st seeds in a decent group. The 1993 team would have tanked Eire of 2017. It really should have been between Wales and Ireland this time around.

Whereas (and perhaps it is youth and memory bias) I felt the final table did "lie" in 1993, this time we never got going and only got into a play off position due to Ireland losing a bit of form towards the end. The lack of cutting edge was apparent all qualification.

1977 was the Joe Jordan hand ball at Anfield that got Scotland a penalty and 1985 was the game in which Jock Stein collapsed and died at Ninian Park, Scotland got another dodgy penalty with about 5 minutes to go I think, we only needed a draw to go through!

_________________
Dear England, you can make as many sheep jokes as you want, you voted for a pig *fupper*!


Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 28229
Location: Pontllanfraith
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
We really couldn't have asked for an easier group in which to qualify from. We'll be very lucky to get such an easy one next time around!

_________________
Dear England, you can make as many sheep jokes as you want, you voted for a pig *fupper*!


Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43920
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
Wales had 4 or 5 chances or halfchances and the Irish goalkeeper made good saves as required.

That was disappointing.

:(


Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:04 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5850
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
We needed to beat the Scots in 85. They got another dodgy handball decision giving them a penalty which they scored from to draw the game which is all they needed
I have been to nine of our last ten home qualifiers and was desperately disappointed with Monday night. I am still fuming about the goal. I was shouting at Hennessey to kick the ball downfield because he had been putting defenders under pressure when rolling the ball out to them. It was stupid to do so again. Williams was slow to react and his clearance was blocked. Ben Davies then lost the tackle to Hendricks and instead of chasing after him
just stood still. Williams didn’t cover quickly enough and the cross went into the box where an unmarked McClean scored.

Given the importance of the game this defensive complacency was unforgivable. Yet again we have blown another World Cup qualifying campaign. We have never properly qualified for a World Cup finals. Northern Ireland,Scotland and Ireland have done so at least twice since 1982 and now Iceland have managed it.

There should be no excuses. It is abject.


Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 18573
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
First game of football I've watched in a while. I was gutted with the result, and thought Ireland's goal was a bit of a freak with it rolling fifty yards up the touchline without going out, but Wales played with absolutely no urgency and seemed happy to knock it aimlessly backwards and forwards. We had about eighty percent possession, but barely threatened their goal.
They need to get stuck in.

_________________
We don't talk about love. We just want to get drunk.
And we have not a lot to spend, as we are told that this is the end.
A design for life.


Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 28229
Location: Pontllanfraith
Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
Pearcey3 wrote:
We needed to beat the Scots in 85. They got another dodgy handball decision giving them a penalty which they scored from to draw the game which is all they needed
I have been to nine of our last ten home qualifiers and was desperately disappointed with Monday night. I am still fuming about the goal. I was shouting at Hennessey to kick the ball downfield because he had been putting defenders under pressure when rolling the ball out to them. It was stupid to do so again. Williams was slow to react and his clearance was blocked. Ben Davies then lost the tackle to Hendricks and instead of chasing after him
just stood still. Williams didn’t cover quickly enough and the cross went into the box where an unmarked McClean scored.

Given the importance of the game this defensive complacency was unforgivable. Yet again we have blown another World Cup qualifying campaign. We have never properly qualified for a World Cup finals. Northern Ireland,Scotland and Ireland have done so at least twice since 1982 and now Iceland have managed it.

There should be no excuses. It is abject.
that's right we were 1 up in 1985, still have a habit of cocking things up when it's in our hands

_________________
Dear England, you can make as many sheep jokes as you want, you voted for a pig *fupper*!


Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: