Ben Woodburn lifts Wales 
World XV Player

Post Re: Ben Woodburn lifts Wales
Ireland win Serbia lose

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

We shall be at the game on Monday night and what a huge game it is. We could win the group or finish second or third. I have a feeling of excitement and sheer dread.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Let's hope we get the rub of the green.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm
World XV Player

Out

Will Coleman stay on or am I right in thinking he said that would be it either way?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

No rub of the green unfortunately.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 am
Site Admin

Awful performance, never really looked like scoring, terrible error by Ashley Williams but he's been prone to a few for Everton this year. He's gone backwards since leaving Swansea or the years are catching up with him!

Thought Ramsey had a shocking game, pies poor corners, freekicks, attempts on goal, poor touch on final ball

Ireland not much better but deserved to win as we never had a clear-cut chance really!

Reminds me of 1977, 1985 and 1993!

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

I'm a bit too young to remember 1977 and 1985, but it doesn't remind me of 1993. In 1993 we were 4th seeds in a tough tough group. This time 1st seeds in a decent group. The 1993 team would have tanked Eire of 2017. It really should have been between Wales and Ireland this time around.

Whereas (and perhaps it is youth and memory bias) I felt the final table did "lie" in 1993, this time we never got going and only got into a play off position due to Ireland losing a bit of form towards the end. The lack of cutting edge was apparent all qualification.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 pm
World XV Player

We shouldn't be only getting 2 points from 6 against Serbia and drawing at home to Georgia - we do not deserve to qualify.

Well done to Serbia though a remarkable turnaround - they didn't even make the playoffs in 2016.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm
Site Admin

stujones1 wrote:
We shouldn't be only getting 2 points from 6 against Serbia and drawing at home to Georgia - we do not deserve to qualify.

Well done to Serbia though a remarkable turnaround - they didn't even make the playoffs in 2016.

Agreed

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

stujones1 wrote:
I'm a bit too young to remember 1977 and 1985, but it doesn't remind me of 1993. In 1993 we were 4th seeds in a tough tough group. This time 1st seeds in a decent group. The 1993 team would have tanked Eire of 2017. It really should have been between Wales and Ireland this time around.

Whereas (and perhaps it is youth and memory bias) I felt the final table did "lie" in 1993, this time we never got going and only got into a play off position due to Ireland losing a bit of form towards the end. The lack of cutting edge was apparent all qualification.

1977 was the Joe Jordan hand ball at Anfield that got Scotland a penalty and 1985 was the game in which Jock Stein collapsed and died at Ninian Park, Scotland got another dodgy penalty with about 5 minutes to go I think, we only needed a draw to go through!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

We really couldn't have asked for an easier group in which to qualify from. We'll be very lucky to get such an easy one next time around!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

Wales had 4 or 5 chances or halfchances and the Irish goalkeeper made good saves as required.

That was disappointing.

:(

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:04 pm
World XV Player

We needed to beat the Scots in 85. They got another dodgy handball decision giving them a penalty which they scored from to draw the game which is all they needed
I have been to nine of our last ten home qualifiers and was desperately disappointed with Monday night. I am still fuming about the goal. I was shouting at Hennessey to kick the ball downfield because he had been putting defenders under pressure when rolling the ball out to them. It was stupid to do so again. Williams was slow to react and his clearance was blocked. Ben Davies then lost the tackle to Hendricks and instead of chasing after him
just stood still. Williams didn’t cover quickly enough and the cross went into the box where an unmarked McClean scored.

Given the importance of the game this defensive complacency was unforgivable. Yet again we have blown another World Cup qualifying campaign. We have never properly qualified for a World Cup finals. Northern Ireland,Scotland and Ireland have done so at least twice since 1982 and now Iceland have managed it.

There should be no excuses. It is abject.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

First game of football I've watched in a while. I was gutted with the result, and thought Ireland's goal was a bit of a freak with it rolling fifty yards up the touchline without going out, but Wales played with absolutely no urgency and seemed happy to knock it aimlessly backwards and forwards. We had about eighty percent possession, but barely threatened their goal.
They need to get stuck in.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 pm
Site Admin

Pearcey3 wrote:
We needed to beat the Scots in 85. They got another dodgy handball decision giving them a penalty which they scored from to draw the game which is all they needed
I have been to nine of our last ten home qualifiers and was desperately disappointed with Monday night. I am still fuming about the goal. I was shouting at Hennessey to kick the ball downfield because he had been putting defenders under pressure when rolling the ball out to them. It was stupid to do so again. Williams was slow to react and his clearance was blocked. Ben Davies then lost the tackle to Hendricks and instead of chasing after him
just stood still. Williams didn’t cover quickly enough and the cross went into the box where an unmarked McClean scored.

Given the importance of the game this defensive complacency was unforgivable. Yet again we have blown another World Cup qualifying campaign. We have never properly qualified for a World Cup finals. Northern Ireland,Scotland and Ireland have done so at least twice since 1982 and now Iceland have managed it.

There should be no excuses. It is abject.
that's right we were 1 up in 1985, still have a habit of cocking things up when it's in our hands

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW