It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Decreased interest in Welsh rugby and rugby in general? 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Decreased interest in Welsh rugby and rugby in general?
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
I hear the arguments above but is Wales truly a significant exception exception?

Is Rugby now replaced by football as the National Sport?

Why can't, for example, Cardiff with it's excellent, W/Wide history, good catchment, stadium positioning and potential now just a bottom feeder?

Scarlets are the most compromised by a lot of the arguments used above and they are in the van....?

Also, I sense from the comments above and some reasons given that the slide is irretrievable?

There are some similar trends here...baseball attendance is way down across the board, which was the "people's sport", especially in the big cities like New York, where there are so many other things to do, even though the team is successful, (Yankees). Attending a game for 2 people you are looking at GBP130-150.

When I was a teenager, I would see every Scarlets game, unless I was playing away on Saturday myself, and as a treat, would see a couple of Swansea Town games. Other than the cinema, there was nowhere else to go..until around 16 or 17 and then the pubs beckoned.

I was amazed how there are now only 3 pubs on the Mumbles mile versus the 15 or so the in mid 1970's.

Consumption patterns have changed, drinking and driving was tolerated then, not now, and that has changed or modified some social behaviour.

It is about five pubs actually. But yes, the Mumbles Mile has really declined even compared to a decade ago. (There are all sorts of reasons for this, but this isn't really the thread to discuss it).

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
I hear the arguments above but is Wales truly a significant exception exception?

Why can't, for example, Cardiff with it's excellent, W/Wide history, good catchment, stadium positioning and potential now just a bottom feeder?

Scarlets are the most compromised by a lot of the arguments used above and they are in the van....?

Also, I sense from the comments above and some reasons given that the slide is irretrievable?

There are some similar trends here...baseball attendance is way down across the board, which was the "people's sport", especially in the big cities like New York, where there are so many other things to do, even though the team is successful, (Yankees). Attending a game for 2 people you are looking at GBP130-150.

When I was a teenager, I would see every Scarlets game, unless I was playing away on Saturday myself, and as a treat, would see a couple of Swansea Town games. Other than the cinema, there was nowhere else to go..until around 16 or 17 and then the pubs beckoned.

I was amazed how there are now only 3 pubs on the Mumbles mile versus the 15 or so the in mid 1970's.

Consumption patterns have changed, drinking and driving was tolerated then, not now, and that has changed or modified some social behaviour.

It is about five pubs actually. But yes, the Mumbles Mile has really declined even compared to a decade ago. (There are all sorts of reasons for this, but this isn't really the thread to discuss it).

I am sure you have multiple theories....

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:51 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

If we could answer that question, we would probably solve the problem of Welsh pro rugby failure. We tend to focus on why all four have struggled which muddies the water in trying to understand the problem. Lets focus for a minute on one region - Cardiff surely could do better. How come a side like Exeter for instance can come from nowhere and outshine Cardiff?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:10 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

If we could answer that question, we would probably solve the problem of Welsh pro rugby failure. We tend to focus on why all four have struggled which muddies the water in trying to understand the problem. Lets focus for a minute on one region - Cardiff surely could do better. How come a side like Exeter for instance can come from nowhere and outshine Cardiff?

I've often pondered the Q Icey!?

and, imo, this isn't the answer

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74913

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:17 am
World XV Player

I found myself asking (me) in a philosophical sort of way, (induced by alcohol no doubt) if what we have now is better than we had pre regional?

From an entertainment point of view, I don't think it is, Would I prefer to see Ospreys v Ulster or Pontypridd v Cardiff?, no brainer. A full afternoon of enjoyment with good people and much lighter spirits than now.

The rugby has 'improved' in that they can now build a meat wall across the park and only slip up occasionally, but is it as good to watch? I seem to be finding lately that I watch rugby through a sense of duty rather than with anticipation.

Yes, I know it had to be done to keep our national side in the picture, but I am asking about enjoyment and attendance.

£4 to get in and 3 or 4 pints at the bar do not compare, but the outgoings were reduced in accord and most clubs managed as well as the regions do today.

Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be then either, but we cannot blame the WRU for that (or can we?).
Mind, I used to be a better player back then now than I was at the time.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Lack of success breeds indifference ... even the once mighty Ospreys are now going the way of Cardiff.

If and when players develop a sense of pride and form then things will improve.

Until then decline is inevitable.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
I found myself asking (me) in a philosophical sort of way, (induced by alcohol no doubt) if what we have now is better than we had pre regional?

From an entertainment point of view, I don't think it is, Would I prefer to see Ospreys v Ulster or Pontypridd v Cardiff?, no brainer. A full afternoon of enjoyment with good people and much lighter spirits than now.

The rugby has 'improved' in that they can now build a meat wall across the park and only slip up occasionally, but is it as good to watch? I seem to be finding lately that I watch rugby through a sense of duty rather than with anticipation.

Yes, I know it had to be done to keep our national side in the picture, but I am asking about enjoyment and attendance.

£4 to get in and 3 or 4 pints at the bar do not compare, but the outgoings were reduced in accord and most clubs managed as well as the regions do today.

Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be then either, but we cannot blame the WRU for that (or can we?).

Comparison of eras is redundant, comparison with competition is valid?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
soap wrote:

What an absurd comment..

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:09 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
soap wrote:

What an absurd comment..

Why?

Huge changes in every aspect on and. off the field.

The time is now for real comparison and includes how competition has coped with the changes incl adoption of Pro Rugby

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:08 pm
World XV Player

Our company, like other technology services companies, spends a lot of money on customer retention.

It would be useful to learn why:
a) so many existing season ticket holders did not renew
b) so many other fans left the game.

The experience of match going today is very different from that of 20 years ago, in the newer stadia at least. Rugby is in the service business, entertainment, and you need to understand customer requirements, and why there is been such an exodus of fans..

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:31 pm
World XV Player

The major reason why baseball is a poor product is the length of a game. Only went to one game but I needed another shave by the end :D

It was torture

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:13 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Our company, like other technology services companies, spends a lot of money on customer retention.

It would be useful to learn why:
a) so many existing season ticket holders did not renew
b) so many other fans left the game.

The experience of match going today is very different from that of 20 years ago, in the newer stadia at least. Rugby is in the service business, entertainment, and you need to understand customer requirements, and why there is been such an exodus of fans..

We aren't only talking about gates, we are talking about performance onand off the field and whichever way you interpret the compound bottom line.

Agree that fans will vote with their feet but there's more to dgradation that 'encourages' that consequence

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm
World XV Player

I think we are seeing customer segmentation in rugby, and sport in general.
You have different levels:

International
Top club fully pro
Semi pro club
Local amateur

The top 2 compete for both TV and gate revenues. The game is saturated with games, fans can only watch so many games..
I rarely watch rugby unless I have an interest in one of the teams as an example.

I think in Wales we need fewer teams at all levels below the international game, but then we need leagues to lay in..

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:26 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
soap wrote:

What an absurd comment..

Why?

Huge changes in every aspect on and. off the field.

The time is now for real comparison and includes how competition has coped with the changes incl adoption of Pro Rugby

Yip, no way back now, we killed it

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
I rarely watch rugby unless I have an interest in one of the teams as an example.

I used to watch pretty much anything without a vested interest and just enjoyed it but not these days.

That said i went to an English Premier game today as a complete neutral with no following for either side and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good crowd, good atmosphere and a decent skill level on show.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next