It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 pm

B&I Lions tour to SA 2021 
World XV Player

Post B&I Lions tour to SA 2021
Quote:
Lions cut fixtures for 2021 SA tour - report
London - The next British and Irish Lions tour, to South Africa in 2021, will be cut to eight matches after pressure from England's Premiership clubs over players' workloads, a report said on Monday.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/lions-cu ... t-20170925

I suppose many don't care for the B&I Lions so to them this is just the start to achieving their goal of zero matches...
I just really hate the tail (clubs) wagging the dog (internationals) but I suppose it's because I'm a naïve yokel who doesn't accept that money is the dog.

Still looking forward to the tour, though potential Bok scalps have lost their allure/shine/lustre/weight...

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:36 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: B&I Lions tour to SA 2021
The anti lions brigade will be happy.

The lions is supposed to unite the home nations, it just gives a group of fans up there more reason to hate each other.

Hope the meat eaters get back to where they should be rugby wise, losing valiantly against the blackness, and smashing everyone else. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 pm
World XV Player

Saracens were furious.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:31 am
Regional Junior Player

The way South African rugby is going, by the time this tour gets under way, few sides outside the Test team will be capable of anything other than humiliation against a mid week Lions XV.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:

The lions is supposed to unite the home nations, it just gives a group of fans up there more reason to hate each other.

Hope the meat eaters get back to where they should be rugby wise, losing valiantly against the blackness, and smashing everyone else. :D

Other than a few people on here, I haven't met anyone interested in rugby who doesn't like the Lions. It's a myth that there are lots of people against it.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

Other than a few people on here, I haven't met anyone interested in rugby who doesn't like the Lions. It's a myth that there are lots of people against it.

The reporters left behind aren't fussy.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 am
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
loosechange wrote:

I think that some misinterpret concern about extent of player fatigue and off season schedules

Something has got to give and that includes off season tours, Lions specifics, world cups and over intensive local schedules

Current level of exertion, injury and schedules cant continue

There's also the separate issue of player safety in what has become a dangerous Sport

I believe that Player Union action is near.

It's a broad issue

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
loosechange wrote:

I think that some misinterpret concern about extent of player fatigue and off season schedules

Something has got to give and that includes off season tours, Lions specifics, world cups and over intensive local schedules

There's also the separate issue of player safety in what has become a dangerous Sport

It's a broad issue

I don't disagree that people are concerned about player welfare. I am too.

But I don't personally vent my anger at the Lions or international games. I am more likely to moan about the number of domestic games.

We have a situation where the owners of domestic teams get little out of international games, and are pushing for an international season that caters for the domestic league, despite (I believe), most fans being more interested in international teams.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
loosechange wrote:

It's a broad issue

I don't disagree that people are concerned about player welfare. I am too.

But I don't personally vent my anger at the Lions or international games. I am more likely to moan about the number of domestic games.

We have a situation where the owners of domestic teams get little out of international games, and are pushing for an international season that caters for the domestic league, despite (I believe), most fans being more interested in international teams.

Unions aren't without sin either, extra internationals and their need for the revenue to keep their heads above
water. Remember too that the Unions are complicit in forming league schedules and Pro 12 to Pro 14 expansion another example. Truth is the business bottomline is not sustsinable other than the investors that can support it,

That leads to the promonrnce of Clubs with big backers and countries that have better financialsand therefore clout

The english footy model is on its way.....

Apologies for typos ....ipad and hospital waiting room

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 am
British & Irish Lions Player

I don't like how our clubs pretend it's a player welfare issues whilst simultaneously trying to run the players into the ground.

I want the RFU to grow some spine and stand up to them, impose limits on how many hours a player can play over a set period for both club and country. Given the power, the clubs will produce a lot of players with VERY short careers.

However unless SA get their act together, this tour will be a bit of a joke. In the last 2 years they have lost to Japan, lost to Italy, lost to England and Wales for the first time in ages and suffered a humiliation at the hands of NZ. Nothing indicates they are turning things around.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
loosechange wrote:

Enthusiasm for the Lions is waning. If support was strong enough this reduction to eight games wouldn't have taken place. The tour to Australia in 2025 will be down to six games max.
Soon after Lions Ltd will try and cash in on one off tests at home. By then pretty much every rugby fan apart from glassy eyed sentimentalists will have realized that it's just a rugby circus for the hospitality set and couch potato sports fans, most of whom will watch it for the cheerleaders.

Only problem is that it won't come quick enough.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
loosechange wrote:

Enthusiasm for the Lions is waning. If support was strong enough this reduction to eight games wouldn't have taken place. The tour to Australia in 2025 will be down to six games max.
Soon after Lions Ltd will try and cash in on one off tests at home. By then pretty much every rugby fan apart from glassy eyed sentimentalists will have realized that it's just a rugby circus for the hospitality set and couch potato sports fans, most of whom will watch it for the cheerleaders.

Only problem is that it won't come quick enough.

I don't think enthusiasm for the Lions is waning. The viewing for it is still high.

The reduction in matches is in part down to a more crowded schedule and player welfare.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

I don't think enthusiasm for the Lions is waning. The viewing for it is still high.

The reduction in matches is in part down to a more crowded schedule and player welfare.

My experience was that the excitement in the clubhouse and village pitch side pre and during the tour was significantly less than in was for the previous tour to NZ (to compare like with like). Immediately post tour it was higher because the Lions didn't get stuffed this time and actually drew the series but that soon fizzled out.

More sports fans are watching rugby now which accounts significantly in the viewing figures. They're not going to complain if Lions tours end they'll just watch some other sport promoted by SKY Sports as the must watch event.

The reduction of matches is down to money and Lions fans can't really complain as it's only because of the money that Lions tours still exist.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail