It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:26 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Sean O'Brien 
Author Message
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1072
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Big And Dull wrote:
I really don't know wtf the Welsh coaching team have to do to get some respect regular wins against SH teams Last 6 N we came within 1 poor defensive kick of beating England, remind me who else did we lose to 2 of them have coached on the 2 most successful Lion's tours in a generation that's damning them with faint praise really and we just sent a 2nd xv on tour and beat 2 teams our 1st xv have struggled to beat in the past Gatland and Howley weren't coaching them though
I remember the dark days of the 80's and 90's, give me what we have now compared to that anyday
That's a bit like a man being grateful that only one of his balls is being kicked rather than both of them.


Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: On a very steep hill
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
eog wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
I really don't know wtf the Welsh coaching team have to do to get some respect regular wins against SH teams Last 6 N we came within 1 poor defensive kick of beating England, remind me who else did we lose to 2 of them have coached on the 2 most successful Lion's tours in a generation that's damning them with faint praise really and we just sent a 2nd xv on tour and beat 2 teams our 1st xv have struggled to beat in the past Gatland and Howley weren't coaching them though
I remember the dark days of the 80's and 90's, give me what we have now compared to that anyday
That's a bit like a man being grateful that only one of his balls is being kicked rather than both of them.

When exactly have we won regularly against SH teams
Of course we lost to other teams in the last 6N I never said that we hadn't
What else could the 2 do while coaching the Lion apart from beating NZ and we have all seen their results against other sides in the RC
And as for the last point

_________________
I'm politically correct, a social justice warrior, a Snowflake and a male feminist ......apparently
I'm also a dopey *bar steward* a childish fukkwit and a liar


Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 am
Posts: 2217
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Donkka wrote:
Troron wrote:
I'd say Wales are a decent team but people are comparing it to the team from the early years of Gatland that was much more dominant in the NH. I'd say that was largely due to England and Ireland going through some quite poor patches combined with Wales going through a good patch that made it look like Wales were much further ahead of everyone else than they were. Ireland and England then caught up and now the balance between the teams is more even again.

I'd say the thing that makes the Welsh coaching stand out for criticism are the absolutely dire performances outside the 6N for the past few years compared to the other teams.


Spot on Troron.

We are OK in the 6N, and ONLY OK, but always seem to come up short against SH opposition. For the life of me I can't work out why we are such shite, is it the selection/players/coaches/game plan etc., or a combination of such factors.

Whatever the reasons they need addressing urgently but, irrespective, I can't see anything but a few hammerings coming our way in the AI's.


Well a fair few of us outside Wales think that if you lot got Dai Young as head coach with Stephen Jones as attacking coach, you'd be much more deadly.

_________________
Image


Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59724
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Troron wrote:
Donkka wrote:
Troron wrote:
I'd say Wales are a decent team but people are comparing it to the team from the early years of Gatland that was much more dominant in the NH. I'd say that was largely due to England and Ireland going through some quite poor patches combined with Wales going through a good patch that made it look like Wales were much further ahead of everyone else than they were. Ireland and England then caught up and now the balance between the teams is more even again.

I'd say the thing that makes the Welsh coaching stand out for criticism are the absolutely dire performances outside the 6N for the past few years compared to the other teams.


Spot on Troron.

We are OK in the 6N, and ONLY OK, but always seem to come up short against SH opposition. For the life of me I can't work out why we are such shite, is it the selection/players/coaches/game plan etc., or a combination of such factors.

Whatever the reasons they need addressing urgently but, irrespective, I can't see anything but a few hammerings coming our way in the AI's.


Well a fair few of us outside Wales think that if you lot got Dai Young as head coach with Stephen Jones as attacking coach, you'd be much more deadly.


X2 :thumbup:

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5877
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Not so sure about DainYoung Troron. You only have to look at how poor our regions are again tonight to appreciate how difficult it is for Gatland.
I think Young is next in line but until our regions start playing to a decent standard every Welsh coach will face a huge task in trying to make Wales successful. In fairness the Scarlets are the one region bucking the trend.


Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm
Posts: 1663
Location: on a big rock in the Irish Sea
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
There are things you do, and things you don't do, and moaning like this is one of them, not only is it disrespectful to the Lions coaches and management, it's also disrespectful to his team mates and the opposition.

We all know the Irish have got it in for Gatland, of course the best answer is for the Welsh team to put 40 points on them. Sadly the quality of the team is diminishing, and with the exception of Moriarty who comes from outside of the Welsh regions, we seem to have no new outstanding players coming through.


Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 am
Posts: 2217
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Pearcey3 wrote:
Not so sure about DainYoung Troron. You only have to look at how poor our regions are again tonight to appreciate how difficult it is for Gatland.
I think Young is next in line but until our regions start playing to a decent standard every Welsh coach will face a huge task in trying to make Wales successful. In fairness the Scarlets are the one region bucking the trend.


True but if Stephen jones can make one of the poor regions play much better attacking rugby, combined with Dai Young who has the best attacking side in Europe and I think it will take something special for them to not inject something into the squad above what is currently there.

_________________
Image


Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:22 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5877
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Yes you may be right and Young did well with Cardiff Blues. Things certainly need to change. I fear for the Welsh national team this season in both the AI’s and the Six Nations.


Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 am
Posts: 2217
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Pearcey3 wrote:
Yes you may be right and Young did well with Cardiff Blues. Things certainly need to change. I fear for the Welsh national team this season in both the AI’s and the Six Nations.


As a matter of interest has any national coach served as long as Gatland?

_________________
Image


Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59724
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
I doubt it, knives are very very sharp in Cardiff....with more agendas than the United Nations ;)

The only period of stability was under Roger Lewis, a non rugby man with business acumen.

Unfortunately that experiment of hiring a successful business person with a proven track record outside rugby has gone by the wayside, taking Welsh rugby with it.

The current top management twosome would not get a job in a real business.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:53 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 am
Posts: 15164
Location: Japan
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Bit silly saying they'd whitewash NZ. They were ahead of NZ for a whopping 3 minutes in 3 tests I think it was.

And someone on PR posted the training schedule during the tour, and if its correct, SOB is either talking out of his arse, or hes a lazy mofo.

I don't really rate WG, but hes backed himself on 2 tours and is undefeated. That's the be all and end all when talking about his time coaching the B&ILs.

_________________
Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one, and fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.


Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:47 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 44120
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
loosechange wrote:
WG has backed himself on 2 tours and is undefeated. That's the be all and end all when talking about his time coaching the B&ILs.


Image


Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:27 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5877
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Troron wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:
Yes you may be right and Young did well with Cardiff Blues. Things certainly need to change. I fear for the Welsh national team this season in both the AI’s and the Six Nations.


As a matter of interest has any national coach served as long as Gatland?


Not that I can recall.


Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1072
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Big And Dull wrote:
When exactly have we won regularly against SH teams You asked what was required to gain respect my answer was beating SH teams regularly. You might hand out respect for successful 6nations campaigns but SH nations don't.
Of course we lost to other teams in the last 6N I never said that we hadn't and that omission suggested that we did well unless you think being hammered by Scotland is further evidence for us doing well.
What else could the 2 do while coaching the Lion apart from beating NZ and we have all seen their results against other sides in the RC Well Gatland pulled out Welsh players to act as tackle bags and bench warmers for the Lions. So not only did he have no involvement in the successful Wales tour but he chose to weaken it for the benefit of the Lions also!
And as for the last point

And as for your last point " We 'ad it tough in my day standin int rain on East terrace with urine cascading like Niagara downt steps, watching Wales lose to bloody Canada . We couldn't imagine dreaming of losing to England by a couple of points. Fans today don't know they're born.


Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:49 am
Posts: 25827
Post Re: Sean O'Brien
Another bitter Irishman another stupid comment following a Lions tour.

Totally unprofessional, unnecessary, unkind and ridiculous.

the ABs should have won the series 3-0 if they had been better coached as well...

He should wait till he retires to come out with this muck.

Hes gone down in my estimation.

I'm no Howley fan but this is just really undignified.


Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigRed, Old Second Row and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: