It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 pm

Is it possible to share my wifi connection ? 
World XV Player

Post Is it possible to share my wifi connection ?
I live two doors away from my daughter ..... There is a house attached to my house, then she lives in the first of the semi-detached house. I could kick a ball into her garden. Could i boost my wifi signal for her to share and still have the speed for netflix etc ???

Advice appreciated ?

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Is it possible to share my wifi connection ?
Blindside wrote:
I live two doors away from my daughter ..... There is a house attached to my house, then she lives in the first of the semi-detached house. I could kick a ball into her garden. Could i boost my wifi signal for her to share and still have the speed for netflix etc ???

Advice appreciated ?

Are you sure you are skilful enough to kick a ball into her garden ?, punt or drop kick ?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 pm
World XV Player

trampie wrote:
Blindside wrote:

Advice appreciated ?

Are you sure you are skilful enough to kick a ball into her garden ?, punt or drop kick ?

Old style torpedo off the laces. :D

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

have you just tried connecting to it?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 pm
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
trampie wrote:
Blindside wrote:

Advice appreciated ?

Old style torpedo off the laces. :D

Cool. :D

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 am
World XV Player

rugbydan wrote:

The neighbours who is joined to me comes up for her, but not mine. Only thinking of doing it because she doesnt even use her land line only mobile.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
rugbydan wrote:

The neighbours who is joined to me comes up for her, but not mine. Only thinking of doing it because she doesnt even use her land line only mobile.

So basically the signal isnt strong enough to reach her. You can get boosters and they arent expensive, I suspect it would reach. Never used one myself though.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:31 am
World XV Player

rugbydan wrote:
Blindside wrote:
rugbydan wrote:

So basically the signal isnt strong enough to reach her. You can get boosters and they arent expensive, I suspect it would reach. Never used one myself though.

Yes ive had a little look since i posted.... boosters seem fairly cheap. It must be possible it very close.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TBH, If you can do it, the best way is to run a wire. Saves a lot of fuss. You can put a transmitter on the other end of the wire to give wifi in her house

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

We use boosters (router on second floor and thick stone walls etc) and you can buy various 'strengths' they work well to garden etc ..)

Not expensive and you can always buy one and take it back within the sales of goods Act limit legitimately if it doesn't function to your spec

I use a NETGEAR Wifi AC750 Model EX3800 and given distances and type of computing wanted I'd go up the strength scale.

Look it up etc ..

Netgear is quality gear, easy to install and doesn't inhibit other use of elec plug concerned etc

Hope this helps

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 am
World XV Player

BS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On reflection worth mention ..

positioning is everything especially intial router, .... avoid corners closed spaces etc and the same goes for 'extenders' cos that's what they are and therefore their placement key with regard to eventual target.

Finally what sort of relationship do you have with your neighbour? ... he/she could help you with posting the extender?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 am
World XV Player

A wire is the best option by a mile.
Or a wire to somewhere nearby with a secondary router or repeater there to boost up the signal.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Blindside wrote:
rugbydan wrote:
Blindside wrote:
rugbydan wrote:

Yes ive had a little look since i posted.... boosters seem fairly cheap. It must be possible it very close.
You will suffer connection problems even with a booster due to the walls the signal will have to travel through.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I used to struggle to get wi-fi in the back room. You have to consider it's a radio wave, and every layer of brick, concrete, glass or wood it has to go through will weaken it.
At a distance of thirty feet, closing or opening a door has a big impact on speed.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:20 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I used to struggle to get wi-fi in the back room. You have to consider it's a radio wave, and every layer of brick, concrete, glass or wood it has to go through will weaken it.
At a distance of thirty feet, closing or opening a door has a big impact on speed.

What is worse than a thick stone wall, surprisingly, is the modern dry lining used on the old stone to maker it look good, because it has a foil lining on the back. Not all of it, but without looking you dont know.

A wire run behind the gutter should be no problem. you use one of the free ports on the router, then look on you tube how to set an old router to broadcast off it

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:38 pm
Profile E-mail