It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Underhill Escapes Swansea 
World XV Player

Post Underhill Escapes Swansea
Bath Rugby have signed talented young back-rower Sam Underhill from Swansea.

The 20-year-old starlet is usually an openside flanker but can also play at six or eight and will join the Blue, Black and Whites in the summer.

He was born in the USA and studies economics at Cardiff University but is English qualified and has captained the Red Rose under-18s side.

Underhill is 6ft 1ins tall and weights about 16st 3lbs. He was at Gloucester before joining Swansea via Bridgend Ravens having started his degree in the Welsh capital.

A shoulder injury has restricted him to only eight appearances so far this season. It is understood that Bath have paid a transfer fee, as he had another year to run on his contract with the Welsh region.

Had Underhill stayed at Swansea for the next campaign he would have qualified for Wales on three-year residency grounds, but he has never wavered from his desire to play for England and has spoken to head coach Eddie Jones about that possibility.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/bath-rug ... YLphkRq.99

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:28 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Underhill Escapes Swansea
...and the smoke goes up the chimney just the same

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:41 am
World XV Player

Top prospect but never made any noises about that playing for Wales... he isn't Welsh. Wish him well

Has anyone else heard rumours about Griffiths going to the ospreys as a replacement? Or is that just speculation

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tidy player and a loss for the Ospreys.

Will have to step up a bit in terms of level and consistency if he's to threaten Eddie Jones squad though.

Good luck to him

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

A nice bit of dosh for The Ospreys. I wonder how much they got.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 pm
thread ruining clique

simondavis wrote:

Naff all, unless they've bought his contract out.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:

Its reported £150k for the 17 months he has left on his contract

Its obvious Eddie has designs on him, quite rightly too. England have no out and out 7 IMO

RIP Sean Spicer: "sometimes you can disagree with the facts" Awesome.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 pm
World XV Player

Can't blame him. Not sure if he has finished his degree. I guess his three years must be close.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Can't blame him. Not sure if he has finished his degree. I guess his three years must be close.

Bath isn't too far from Cardiff for Uni.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

good luck to him. he's a decent player but i would say he's quite a long way down the pecking order for a regular welsh position. i would say 7th at least for the openside shirt at the moment

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
good luck to him. he's a decent player but i would say he's quite a long way down the pecking order for a regular welsh position. i would say 7th at least for the openside shirt at the moment

I was trying to work that out then you sod!! You must have Tom Young in there? Right? (If you do, I'd agree with that?) :D

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
mr messy wrote:

I was trying to work that out then you sod!! You must have Tom Young in there? Right? (If you do, I'd agree with that?) :D

I meant 8th, think of another one :D

yes I included Tom Young, and I could have been convinced he's 6th in line :occasion5:

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
Otto wrote:
mr messy wrote:

yes I included Tom Young, and I could have been convinced he's 6th in line :occasion5:

i'll go cracknell,

as thinking warbs, tips, james davies, ellis jenkins, boyd, young, cracknelll and ollie griffiths.

Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

welshbean wrote:
mr messy wrote:
Otto wrote:
mr messy wrote:

i'll go cracknell,

as thinking warbs, tips, james davies, ellis jenkins, boyd, young, cracknelll and ollie griffiths.

that's a better list than I originally thought. Gatland is keen to move players across the back row using the same players from the squad so I would have expected him to use lydiate (or moriarty) as options there.

so I would have gone warbs, tips, lydiate, James davies, young, ellis Jenkins, and then it's variable between boyd, cracknel, Griffiths & underhill, mainly due to his injuries.

he could become better than a lot on that list, but right now I wouldn't pick him on form.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I would Young far higher in that list and drop down Lydiate. Only Tips is in the same league.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm