It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Windows 10 Qs pls .. 
World XV Player

Post Windows 10 Qs pls ..
Running Windows 10 ...

-Is there a way under the operating system to track the numebr of uers that are using my internet provider ? I suspect that I may have 'migrants' If not is there a reliable and safe application on the market?

also

-Is there a Windows way or an applictions than can show an internal processing map of in flight active components?

Having migrated to Windows 10 on my main computer ... it is difficult to decipher any pronounced advantage, indeed there seems to be some lost function and changes that deliver the same function but via a different route. I don't use touch screen.

Finally thinking of buying a Lenovo Carbon X1 .. any comments or experience before I press the button?

Thks in advance ...

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:11 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Windows 10 Qs pls ..
Tony Panties wrote:
Running Windows 10 ...

-Is there a way under the operating system to track the numebr of uers that are using my internet provider ? I suspect that I may have 'migrants' If not is there a reliable and safe application on the market?

also

-Is there a Windows way or an applictions than can show an internal processing map of in flight active components?

Having migrated to Windows 10 on my main computer ... it is difficult to decipher any pronounced advantage, indeed there seems to be some lost function and changes that deliver the same function but via a different route. I don't use touch screen.

Finally thinking of buying a Lenovo Carbon X1 .. any comments or experience before I press the button?

Thks in advance ...

If it's wireless change the pass word

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The wire from your wall sticks into your box.

It is your box,

Get with it.

You can always disconnect when you are out of the house just by pulling it?

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Read this a few days back

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/win ... -contacts/

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yo uhave probably seen it as it came up on Google but

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/catch-snoo ... s-network/

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
The wire from your wall sticks into your box.

It is your box,

Get with it.

You can always disconnect when you are out of the house just by pulling it?

Stali, wadr that is daft!

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:40 am
World XV Player

soap wrote:

I think that that is one of the issues Soap.

Also, providers are now providing pool services where your security is apparently safeguarded.

Not straight forward as Stali might suggest :kermit:

The other issue seems fundamental but not readily available ie what is the status of the task that are multiprogramming as the system continues. I raised the issue because I had an important event processing and I suspect that a sub task had stopped ... I couldn't confirm this and waited and waited but eventually had to re boot.

Thks folks all info appreciated saud Stali.

This pooled internet sharing aspect could get sinister?

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:46 am
World XV Player

I am in the twilight zone .... I just read the first post and thought what the stuff does that all mean ..and then I see that I have contributed to the thread already. I am none the wiser as to what the actual issue is.

I would recommend WireShark if you want to see what is happening on your net.

https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

It's easy to use free and shows the IP addresses of every communication.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:21 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Do you mean internet provider or your own internet connection?
If its provider (ie BT, Plusnet etc) you cant.
If its your wifi router then logging into the router itself will show it.

BUT make sure its using proper encryption (WPA2), has a strong password set, no guest networks enabled and things like WPS disabled. Nothing to do with windows.

Make sure the computer is virus and malware free as well.

The rest of the post i didnt understand despite having previously done this job professionally for a living!

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

String wrote:

BUT make sure its using proper encryption (WPA2), has a strong password set, no guest networks enabled and things like WPS disabled. Nothing to do with windows.

The rest of the post i didnt understand despite having previously done this job professionally for a living!

Was also in the business for 25 years ..software engineering +

I was asking if one could snapshot or map the tasks being executed ie multiprogramming in the background (main and sub tasks...)

In mainframe major operating systems this was a way of life in debugging problems and was called a 'trace' ...

I needed this info to try and determine whether a task had gone into 'wait' mode and was not continuing processing. I didn't want to end the event because it was precarious as it was fixing major software namely Mcsft Office Pro ...indications were that it was continuing .. I eventually ended the task and fixed the problem a different way and fortunately without damge.

Ref your previous comments, thks ... the system is declared virus free and I did examine 'Livebox' status etc and changed password but didn't want to risk further ...

Soap's reply above about 'pooled' internet availability etc ... I was concerned to be told by Orange France that effectively in order to allow 'wandering' individual internet availability could be used but was of no direct consequence on privacy etc :scratch:

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:38 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
String wrote:

Was also in the business for 25 years ..software engineering +

I was asking if one could snapshot or map the tasks being executed ie multiprogramming in the background (main and sub tasks...)

In mainframe major operating systems this was a way of life in debugging problems and was called a 'trace' ...

I needed this info to try and determine whether a task had gone into 'wait' mode and was not continuing processing. I didn't want to end the event because it was precarious as it was fixing major software namely Mcsft Office Pro ...indications were that it was continuing .. I eventually ended the task and fixed the problem a different way and fortunately without damge.

Ref your previous comments, thks ... the system is declared virus free and I did examine 'Livebox' status etc and changed password but didn't want to risk further ...

Soap's reply above about 'pooled' internet availability etc ... I was concerned to be told by Orange France that effectively in order to allow 'wandering' individual internet availability could be used but was of no direct consequence on privacy etc :scratch:

If you are "into" it and can work from command like, "Sam Spade" is good and free but does not have the nanny style interface

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

CTRL SHIFT ESCAPE then "more details" to get task manager.
Applications don't suspend or have a wait time. Window pre-emptive multitasking doesnt work like that.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

String wrote:
CTRL SHIFT ESCAPE then "more details" to get task manager.

Thks

Applications don't suspend or have a wait time. Window pre-emptive multitasking doesnt work like that.

I understand the multiprogramming logic but that does not prevent tasks from within the set up from effectively becoming 'never ending' and might even give the appearance of processing e.g looping ..or remaining 'active' e.g awaiting response that will not arrive ...etc ' .... ;)

Meanwhile, the answer you gave me and using 'more tasks' does help and answers my Q, thks again ...

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:50 pm
World XV Player

BTW: Windows 10 works on a totally different software Infrastructure than earlier versions.

Chalk and Cheese.

Still no trace worthwhile though.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
BTW: Windows 10 works on a totally different software Infrastructure than earlier versions.

Actually no it doesn't. Updated kernel from windows 7. The only real difference is the requirement for driver signing.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:00 am
Profile WWW