It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Windows 10 ..should I convert? 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11268
Post Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Free install is it largely error free?
Is it worth having?

thks in advance

I have avoided Windows 8 by reputation and I dont particulary like touchscreens.

I will soon replace my current laptop Sony Vaio probably for a Lenovo
Also have a Dell but they dont. seem to want to sell privately any more?

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:11 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59987
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
It is much better than Windows 8 and 8.1 and works well.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:29 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
Posts: 30306
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Changed all my machines to it, think it's shit, but as my son says there will be no alternative in the end so get on with it.

_________________
You cannot enslave my mind, therefore I will always be a free man.
I can count my true friends on the hairs on the palms of my hands.


Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:00 pm
Posts: 6587
Location: Glynneath
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Thegrimriper wrote:
Changed all my machines to it, think it's shit, but as my son says there will be no alternative in the end so get on with it.


I did the free "upgrade" thing a few weeks ago.

It's OK. The mouse pad thingy on my laptop seems ridiculously sensitive since the "upgrade".

Online shopping can be a terrifying experience these days! :D

_________________
“Once Neath, always Neath. The club that gave me my big chance in rugby might not exist in its old form these days, but it will always be my club, and it will always have a place in my heart.”

Shane Williams


Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:56 pm
Posts: 11375
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
I did the free upgrade, but found that my laptop was running spectactularly hot (and noticeably slower) with Win 10, so I reversed it and will stick with Win7 until I have no option (on the death of this laptop I suspect).

At that point, if Win 10 still doesn't take my fancy, i might turn to the darkside and shell out for a MacBook Pro.


Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:26 pm
Profile
Club Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 274
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Windows 10 - If you are worried about privacy you had better turn cortana off


Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11268
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thks guys :thumbup:

I'm staying on 7

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:18 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 44366
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thks guys :thumbup:

I'm staying on 7


Is it still being supported, brawd?

And, even if it is, how long is that going to last?


Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:25 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:56 pm
Posts: 11375
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Bouch wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thks guys :thumbup:

I'm staying on 7


Is it still being supported, brawd?

And, even if it is, how long is that going to last?


Win7 is in what Microsoft call its "Extended Support" period, having exited "Mainstream Support" in January of this year.

That means that whilst it is no longer being developed and wont get new gadgets and functionality, it will still get Hotfixes and security updates to keep it running efficiently and securely. Win7 Extended Support continues until January 2020, by which time I expect few machines currently running it will still be in service.


Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:16 pm
Profile
Schools District Player

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:43 pm
Posts: 37
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and regretted it. Skype refused to install and AVG anti virus could no longer update. Chrome became slow and unresponsive especially when coming out of standby. i got so frustrated i ended up resetting my laptop to factory settings and reinstalling 8.1


Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:43 pm
Posts: 37
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
CarmarthenLad wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thks guys :thumbup:

I'm staying on 7


Is it still being supported, brawd?

And, even if it is, how long is that going to last?


Win7 is in what Microsoft call its "Extended Support" period, having exited "Mainstream Support" in January of this year.

That means that whilst it is no longer being developed and wont get new gadgets and functionality, it will still get Hotfixes and security updates to keep it running efficiently and securely. Win7 Extended Support continues until January 2020, by which time I expect few machines currently running it will still be in service.


Except enterprise customers will be installing win 7 on new machines for a few years to come, I imagine. I doubt our company will be switching over any time soon and all new laptops are installed with exactly the same OS.


Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:56 pm
Posts: 11375
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Owain Glyndwr wrote:
CarmarthenLad wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thks guys :thumbup:

I'm staying on 7


Is it still being supported, brawd?

And, even if it is, how long is that going to last?


Win7 is in what Microsoft call its "Extended Support" period, having exited "Mainstream Support" in January of this year.

That means that whilst it is no longer being developed and wont get new gadgets and functionality, it will still get Hotfixes and security updates to keep it running efficiently and securely. Win7 Extended Support continues until January 2020, by which time I expect few machines currently running it will still be in service.


Except enterprise customers will be installing win 7 on new machines for a few years to come, I imagine. I doubt our company will be switching over any time soon and all new laptops are installed with exactly the same OS.


That scenario is one of the reasons the Extended Support period is 5 years long.......... to give such customers plenty of time to assess, choose and switch to the latest platform, be it "Win10 Pro" or "Win10 Enterprise". Microsoft have got a lot cuter at handling their customer base since the early days of windows, and are fully aware (after the disaster that was Vista) of business's desire to stay with known-to-be-stable platforms.


Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:13 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
Posts: 30306
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
We changed one of the office computers over today , what a fupping mess.

_________________
You cannot enslave my mind, therefore I will always be a free man.
I can count my true friends on the hairs on the palms of my hands.


Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 88099
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
you should dust behind it more often

_________________
Be a Snowflake. Winter is coming.


Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:09 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
Posts: 30306
Post Re: Windows 10 ..should I convert?
Fids the Blindside wrote:
you should dust behind it more often
:bootyshake: :thefinger:

_________________
You cannot enslave my mind, therefore I will always be a free man.
I can count my true friends on the hairs on the palms of my hands.


Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron