It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
U20 latest N Hemp results etc 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 13699
Post U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Eng scrape through v SA, wales and Ireland lose etc

Latest results here

https://www.worldrugby.org/u20/fixtures

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 3006
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
France beat NZ to reach their first U20 final!


Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 3006
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Ireland face Japan in the relegation decider.


Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 am
Posts: 15513
Location: Japan
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
najbritcol wrote:
France beat NZ to reach their first U20 final!

Congrats to the frogs. :occasion5: And also the poms. :occasion5:

_________________
Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one, and fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.


Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm
Profile
Online
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 2737
Location: On a very steep hill
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
loosechange wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
France beat NZ to reach their first U20 final!

Congrats to the frogs. :occasion5: And also the poms. :occasion5:

You do realise that it's quite offensive nowadays to call them frogs?

_________________
I'm politically correct, a social justice warrior, a Snowflake and a male feminist ......apparently
I'm also a dopey *bar steward* a childish fukkwit and a liar


Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 am
Posts: 15513
Location: Japan
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Big And Dull wrote:
loosechange wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
France beat NZ to reach their first U20 final!

Congrats to the frogs. :occasion5: And also the poms. :occasion5:

You do realise that it's quite offensive nowadays to call them frogs?

Really!? :shock: I’ve never heard anything like that. Apologies to anyone offended.

_________________
Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one, and fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.


Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:30 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
Posts: 30447
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Gentlemen, let's stick to the thread subject, please.

_________________
You cannot enslave my mind, therefore I will always be a free man.
I can count my true friends on the hairs on the palms of my hands.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 13699
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Troron wrote:
I make no apologies for it, quite frankly if "cheese eating surrender monkey's" makes you so offended then I think that is more an issue with you, it is not an inherently offensive name and I've never met a Frenchman who was actually offended in the slightest by it before. In case you aren't aware, the joke name originates from a Simpsons episode and quite frankly getting that wound up about it is completely disproportionate.


Irrespective of source it is offensive.

To what does surrender monkeys refer?

I am very aware of sensitivities and misinterpretation of wartime events.

The Region in which I live, suffered significantly and the atrocities committed are still very vivid in the memories.

Troron, given this description and experience I ask you to be more sensitive in subsequent usage.

It is widely accepted as pejorative and often translated into ww2 significance ...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... r%20monkey

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 6732
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
This Wales U20 is probably one of the worst in recent years.
Not sure whether it was poor coaching or just poor selections.
I thought our tackling was, to a large extent, a major factor in our poor results.
Apart from playing well against the Oz U20. what happened after that not sure but we just went downhill after that.
Personally, I think there were poor selections and poor coaching.
It all fell apart after the first 20/30 minutes against the Baby AB's.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 2737
Location: On a very steep hill
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
BigRed wrote:
This Wales U20 is probably one of the worst in recent years.
Not sure whether it was poor coaching or just poor selections.
I thought our tackling was, to a large extent, a major factor in our poor results.
Apart from playing well against the Oz U20. what happened after that not sure but we just went downhill after that.
Personally, I think there were poor selections and poor coaching.
It all fell apart after the first 20/30 minutes against the Baby AB's.

By it's very nature U20's is cyclical, countries like us can have a really good bunch of players one year and very few the next. Countries with larger playing numbers will always have an advantage. We shouldn't be that concerned unless it becomes a regular occurrence. So just blaming it on poor selections and poor coaching is wrong IMO

_________________
I'm politically correct, a social justice warrior, a Snowflake and a male feminist ......apparently
I'm also a dopey *bar steward* a childish fukkwit and a liar


Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11954
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Big And Dull wrote:
BigRed wrote:
This Wales U20 is probably one of the worst in recent years.
Not sure whether it was poor coaching or just poor selections.
I thought our tackling was, to a large extent, a major factor in our poor results.
Apart from playing well against the Oz U20. what happened after that not sure but we just went downhill after that.
Personally, I think there were poor selections and poor coaching.
It all fell apart after the first 20/30 minutes against the Baby AB's.

By it's very nature U20's is cyclical, countries like us can have a really good bunch of players one year and very few the next. Countries with larger playing numbers will always have an advantage. We shouldn't be that concerned unless it becomes a regular occurrence. So just blaming it on poor selections and poor coaching is wrong IMO




Yes it can be cyclical but then you have to look at the average of the cycle on a ten year period and on that criteria we have every reason to be concerned as it is a regular occurrence.

Well it all depends what you're aiming for? if you aspire as a realistic possibility, for Wales to be a top 4 country then reality tells you that the results of the under 20s do not come close over the cycle. If you accept there is a correlation between the success of the under 20s and the success of the National team that is. I do and the National team also failed to come close to a top 4 world status over the average of the cycle. If Wales staying in the top 8 is acceptable then theres no need to panic according to the cyclical results of the under 20's, but perhaps a little cause for concern.

Countries with larger playing numbers will always have an advantage in terms of playing numbers unless you increase your playing numbers. However, there is far more than that to take into consideration, geographical logistics, coaching and development systems, etc etc

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3607
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
It is a concern in my opinion as members of the under 20 WC semi and final sides, as well as the recent 6 nations grand slam team have made decent regional career, or established themselves in the national side, or on this development tour

Very few come through alternative routes like wyn Jones or wainwright

So the under20s is important and has been a disaster this year. Hopefully regional A sides will allow some of these youngsters to play in a professional environment, instead of being swallowed up by the premiership which is not a good breading ground


Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 2737
Location: On a very steep hill
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Some perspective is needed. Beating Australia and Japan is hardly a disaster. Losing to Argentina was disappointing and NZ, well, were NZ

_________________
I'm politically correct, a social justice warrior, a Snowflake and a male feminist ......apparently
I'm also a dopey *bar steward* a childish fukkwit and a liar


Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11954
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Big And Dull wrote:
Some perspective is needed. Beating Australia and Japan is hardly a disaster. Losing to Argentina was disappointing and NZ, well, were NZ




Perspective is needed but if as you have pointed out you take the longer view as to how Wales usually do, they usually finish between 5th and 7th, since the under 20 WC started. Those is the facts, as they say.

So the next question should be, is that good enough? There can be a variety of responses. If its not good enough, then why are we not performing to our potential and what needs to be done to improve that record.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 3006
Post Re: U20 latest N Hemp results etc
Blindside wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Some perspective is needed. Beating Australia and Japan is hardly a disaster. Losing to Argentina was disappointing and NZ, well, were NZ




Perspective is needed but if as you have pointed out you take the longer view as to how Wales usually do, they usually finish between 5th and 7th, since the under 20 WC started. Those is the facts, as they say.

So the next question should be, is that good enough? There can be a variety of responses. If its not good enough, then why are we not performing to our potential and what needs to be done to improve that record.


All true, but on the other hand Ireland's U20 teams tend to be even more mediocre than Wales', yet at senior level they are undoubtedly superior (this season they are in the relegation battle with Japan!) So the correlation is not so clear-cut.


Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big And Dull, Sam Biscuits and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: