It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Argentina v Wales - first Test (Sat 09.06.2018) 
Club Player

Post Re: Argentina v Wales - first Test (Sat 09.06.2018)
Tony Panties wrote:
Impartial commentating from Eddie " and a scrum to them" :D

You just reminded me of a game I watched some years back, Dragons v Leicester, not sure what it was Anglo Welsh cup I think, Nigel Owens was ref for some reason, he blew up for a scrum to Dragons and said "our ball" Austin healey in the commentary box was flabbergasted.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:18 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It really does seem like we have real depth now. The likes of Patchell, Adams, Shingler, Steff Evans, James Davies, Tomas Williams, Josh Navidi, Ellis Jenkins, Hallom Amos, Adam Beard, Cory Hill, Hadleigh Parkes etc etc have all come into the side this season and played well. Most of them had either not played or barely played for Wales until this season.

We now have fierce competition throughout the squad. The battle for the seven shirt is of very high quality with five genuine Test standard opensides.

This is the strongest we have been going into a World Cup year. We have now moved up to fourth in the rankings too.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Good game to watch as the Argentina lads took more than an hour to get momentum.

Scoring a single try at home was a surprise and when it did come they should have conceded one immediately.

Solid stuff from Wales and the half-backs looked better and more together as the Argentinian errors mounted under pressure.

Subbing the number of players that Wales did was not successful was it? Still, it is world cup year next year and his development strategy looks to be working.

Good.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 am
World XV Player

Match reports:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44377886

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/argentina-vs-wales-live-latest-14764987

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/06/09/young-wales-team-power-fine-away-win-argentina/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5825211/Argentina-10-23-Wales-James-Davies-George-North-score-win.html

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:25 am
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
It really does seem like we have real depth now. The likes of Patchell, Adams, Shingler, Steff Evans, James Davies, Tomas Williams, Josh Navidi, Ellis Jenkins, Hallom Amos, Adam Beard, Cory Hill, Hadleigh Parkes etc etc have all come into the side this season and played well. Most of them had either not played or barely played for Wales until this season.

We now have fierce competition throughout the squad. The battle for the seven shirt is of very high quality with five genuine Test standard opensides.

This is the strongest we have been going into a World Cup year. We have now moved up to fourth in the rankings too.

Yes I agree.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:28 am
World XV Player

Yes excellent performance and glad to see young players taking an opportunity, instead of coming away with lessons learned, things to work on etc

I’m glad Lewis and beard put in performances as they have ability but converting that to senior rugby is always a concern with younger players

I actually thought Seb Davis did well at 6... worked hard in defence... and good in both the attacking and defensive lineout. If he does play more international rugby at 6 wales have a fairly big pack on their hands if ball is partnered with beard in the second row (post AWJ)

Hill was good again and defying his critics

Something to look at however is this possession stat... could make life easier by holding on to it for a bit

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:46 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

You just reminded me of a game I watched some years back, Dragons v Leicester, not sure what it was Anglo Welsh cup I think, Nigel Owens was ref for some reason, he blew up for a scrum to Dragons and said "our ball" Austin healey in the commentary box was flabbergasted.

Are you sure that was not a Lions game with an Australian ref? 20 yrs ago?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Most promising display by an inexperienced Welsh team for some time, well an inexperienced pack that proved a lot of people wrong on this occasion, included me.

If Warburton had played like James D we would have been putting him on a rather high pedestal. Llanelli influence in back line obvious.

Credit where credit is due, but one result may not be the full picture.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:32 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Great performance - just watched the recording :) .
And in particular take a bow the Welsh front 5 where I thought we would struggle; Beard, Lewis and Dee showed they can cut it at this level, a very mature performance from Hill, and Evans capped a strong display with an excellent try saving tackle on the line.
Patchell can take a-lot of confidence from this too and I'd like to see him start again next Saturday to build on that.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 am
Regional Junior Player

soap wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Are you sure that was not a Lions game with an Australian ref? 20 yrs ago?

It was further back than that - I can remember Dai Watkins telling the tale on BBC years ago!

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

1978, Wales in Australia; the ref, Bob Burnett said to Terry Holmes: "Not your put in, ours"

Good grief.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:13 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Not withstanding two good tries and a decent defensive performance I found it a dull old game to watch. Argentina were poor. I was also concerned by the drop in the standard when the replacements came on. Hopefully we will see a stronger showing next week, and then ha e something to measure the guys by

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eborr wrote:
Not withstanding two good tries and a decent defensive performance I found it a dull old game to watch. Argentina were poor. I was also concerned by the drop in the standard when the replacements came on. Hopefully we will see a stronger showing next week, and then ha e something to measure the guys by

FFS we just beat a full strength tier 1 side away from home without 1/2 our first team, just what exactly do you want us to measure up against?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:28 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Not a bad result for a side that was predicted, in the first 4/5 pages of this thread, to reflect a dire selection policy by a thoroughly discredited coaching team and would be fortunate to only lose by 20 points. :thumbup:

Rumour also had it that this was a hotshot Pumas side who would destroy the young, inexperienced, and well below international standard Welsh pack. How did it all go so wrong for our resident 'experts'? :?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
eborr wrote:

FFS we just beat a full strength tier 1 side away from home without 1/2 our first team, just what exactly do you want us to measure up against?

I thought it was the Jaguares Super 15 side, with no exile players allowed?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next