It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Argentina v Wales - first Test (Sat 09.06.2018) 
World XV Player

Post Re: Argentina v Wales - first Test (Sat 09.06.2018)
x_ile wrote:
Not a bad result for a side that was predicted, in the first 4/5 pages of this thread, to reflect a dire selection policy by a thoroughly discredited coaching team and would be fortunate to only lose by 20 points. :thumbup:

Rumour also had it that this was a hotshot Pumas side who would destroy the young, inexperienced, and well below international standard Welsh pack. How did it all go so wrong for our resident 'experts'? :?

Still busy digesting the humble pie....there's a lot of it to eat.. ;)

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:56 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
eborr wrote:
Not withstanding two good tries and a decent defensive performance I found it a dull old game to watch. Argentina were poor. I was also concerned by the drop in the standard when the replacements came on. Hopefully we will see a stronger showing next week, and then ha e something to measure the guys by

FFS we just beat a full strength tier 1 side away from home without 1/2 our first team, just what exactly do you want us to measure up against?

I thought it was the Jaguares Super 15 side, with no exile players allowed?

Otherwise known as the Argentinian national team

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
eborr wrote:
Not withstanding two good tries and a decent defensive performance I found it a dull old game to watch. Argentina were poor. I was also concerned by the drop in the standard when the replacements came on. Hopefully we will see a stronger showing next week, and then ha e something to measure the guys by

FFS we just beat a full strength tier 1 side away from home without 1/2 our first team, just what exactly do you want us to measure up against?

I thought it was the Jaguares Super 15 side, with no exile players allowed?

Otherwise known as the Argentinian national team

As posted befor, the Argie Union are going to change, in the face of poor results, the selection policy for the upcoming World Cup

this refers

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... nto-pumas/

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:28 pm
World XV Player

Now that the dust has settled, what was decided?

To me, it reinforces Anscombe is only an emergency 10. (Patchell and Bigger when possible)

We need to develop a 9. Tomos looks good, but not ready.

Parkes is invaluable. I hope we keep an understudy up to scratch and not just hammer him into retirement.

We are ok in the pack, just a matter of choices. And its a long time since I believed we had choices everywhere. Blessed with 7's

Ross Moriarty. Had a good game, but who replaces him? A few candidates but ...

We are at last well off for wingers. Real ones.

What you think? Where if anywhere do we need to concentrate now?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:

To me, it reinforces Anscombe is only an emergency 10. (Patchell and Bigger when possible)

Parkes is invaluable. I hope we keep an understudy up to scratch and not just hammer him into retirement.

We are ok in the pack, just a matter of choices. And its a long time since I believed we had choices everywhere. Blessed with 7's

Complacency? ;)

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 pm
Regional Player

soap wrote:

I'm not super convinced by either. On form I'd agree that Patch is the best but he seems to be what the commentators euphemistically call a "confidence player", i.e. maddeningly inconsistent and plays at his best when the game is going well. We've relied too much on these over the years (Priestland, Cuthbert, Scott Williams, North). The emergence of Parkes along with others like Cory Hill and Josh Navidi goes to show just how useful it is to have players who are calm, controlled, and consistent - players who are always very good rather than occasionally brilliant. On that basis I do think I still rate Anscombe as marginally ahead of Patchell, though I do think it's time to give Patch a run at 10, especially during these games that don't really matter.

soap wrote:

Disagree - he's better than Aled Davies and should be on the bench at least. I'm looking forward to seeing Rhodri Williams at the Dragons next year though.

soap wrote:

Agreed. Owen Watkin looked initially promising but probably needs a bit more game time at regional level. I hate to have to rely on imports, but Willis Halaholo is about to become Welsh qualified...
soap wrote:

He's the backup 8 to Faletau, remember. I think we are OK at 8 now - Faletau, Moriarty, plus in a pinch Navidi can play there. If I were picking only 5 back rowers to take to the world cup I would go Warburton, Jenkins, Faletau, Moriarty, Navidi (and I realise this means leaving Tipuric at home) - Navidi edges it over the others because he can play anywhere in the back row.
soap wrote:

Dillon Lewis had a brilliant game but one swallow does not a summer make, and hopefully we'll see both him and Leon Brown get plenty of game time and support over the next year, as Tighthead still looks vulnerable. On the back of that performance alone though Lewis looks like he could do more than just take over the 3rd choice TH spot.

Centres - I don't know why Scott Williams is on this tour as we know what he can do. I'd have preferred to see Owen Williams taken so we can see if he really can be a 12 option in the future. Also as mentioned above there are other options on the horizon.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The back row selection is mighty tough. I hope Gatland takes six. If he went with your five the likes of Tipuric, Shingler and James Davies would miss out along with Lydiate and Thomas Young.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
The back row selection is mighty tough. I hope Gatland takes six. If he went with your five the likes of Tipuric, Shingler and James Davies would miss out along with Lydiate and Thomas Young.

Shingler is a must, he is invaluable in the lineouts. A season ago I felt he lacked aggression but I think he has added aggression to his portfolio. An invaluable player to have on the park.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:

Shingler is a must, he is invaluable in the lineouts. A season ago I felt he lacked aggression but I think he has added aggression to his portfolio. An invaluable player to have on the park.

No way does either Lydiate or Young get into contention, albeit for different reasons.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:29 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:

No way does either Lydiate or Young get into contention, albeit for different reasons.

Agreed on Lydiate. I feel for Young. He is our sixth choice seven. He is very unlucky to be so far down the pecking order.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:

Agreed on Lydiate. I feel for Young. He is our sixth choice seven. He is very unlucky to be so far down the pecking order. Some very good players will miss out on World Cup selection.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
soap wrote:

Complacency? ;)

Me or the team :D
If a player has two equally as good as he is, he can not get complacent and keep his place.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Congrats guys. :occasion5:

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 pm
World XV Player

Cheers, byti.

Now we need to beat Argentina in the 2nd Test to keep the parasites dismayed and unable to complain.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Cheers, byti.

Now we need to beat Argentina in the 2nd Test to keep the parasites dismayed and unable to complain.

I think you have that the wrong way around? :D

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next