It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:51 am

Wales recall Josh Adams and Tomas Francis for Argentina Test 
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales recall Josh Adams and Tomas Francis for Argentina Test
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Blindside wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Wales best chance is that Evans and Lee find another gear. At the moment they are close but not quite... can they lay a foundation against top sides like England, Ireland or domestically Leinster

Samson Lee is unbelievably only still 25, And Evans 26... they have good experience at this stage but can they take that front five battle by the scruff of it’s neck

I’m not convinced by many of the other names mentioned. Smith has some quality but sadly he may just be a bit small. As for him playing TH... farcical idea

I'd say Lee is a top quality scrummaging international TH and a decent "player. Adam Jones could have been classed similarly but probably played in a better team.

Do you think he could win a few more pens in the scrum at international level - or game changed now?

I just wondered as Jones for all his faults did draw a lot of pens which halfpenny booted over... which allowed wales to build into some games

Difficult to say, he always seems to be at an optimum angle to anchor the Welsh scrum,its textbook from what i understand of it. Even when the Welsh scrum goes back he always seems the last to lose form. Perhaps i could get more penalties but the unit as a whole needs to scrummage well. Francis is also a decent scrummager but doesn't have the technique of Lee IMO and is a less "classic" more a brute strength guy.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Primary Schools Player

Figaro wrote:
We did scour the world for a Welsh qualified TH and found Tomas Francis, who only qualifies via his grandmother. I doubt he gave any thought to playing for Wales before the selectors came knocking, and we're lucky in a way that England have much better TH options as I doubt Francis would have wanted to play for us if he'd had any real chance of playing for England. I'm sure that if there were any others out there already qualified we'd have capped them already, so the only other option is to try and naturalise a NWQ player (which means either Fia, or waiting at least three years, by which time you would hope Brown and/or Lewis and/or someone else would have developed).

Nicky Smith isn't a great scrummager on the loosehead so would hardly be likely to be better out of position.

Good point about previously looking for a TH. I see today that Cardiff Blues have signed an un-named tight head which means less game opportunity to develop Dillon Lewis. I wonder if the incoming TH will be Tom Francis on a NDC? Or will it be an overseas signing available all season long?

If there are no ready made International TH's with Welsh heritage then we have to try my earlier point of the WRU hiring a top scrum coach and working with what we have to make them a more effective scrum unit as well as working with the next generation of TH's to get Dillon, Leon and any other young players up to scratch a little quicker

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

For all the above I thought Lewis had an absolutely brilliant game on the weekend. Solid in the scrums against a mighty Argentine pack and a nuisance on the loose. Hope he keeps pressing on.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If I’m being honest I don’t think many would have seen that coming from Lewis... although we know he was well thought of

I’m pleased as he took an opportunity.... hope he gets another crack next week as he hung on in there against the Boks and did well against Argentina

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Yes, it's the first time he's really shown that he's capable at a senior level. His reputation before now was built on an admittedly brilliant U20 career (he was part of the U20 2016 Grand Slam generation along with Keelan Giles, Leon Brown, Adam Beard, Seb Davies, etc.). Let's hope it's not just a one-off (and there's no reason to assume it is).

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 am
Profile E-mail
Primary Schools Player

Agree with the above, Dillon had a good game, he has to play again next week and be given a chance to cement the third TH spot, it will be a big bonus to us if he can proove he is ready to play at this level

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Primary Schools Player

Haruki wrote:
Figaro wrote:
We did scour the world for a Welsh qualified TH and found Tomas Francis, who only qualifies via his grandmother. I doubt he gave any thought to playing for Wales before the selectors came knocking, and we're lucky in a way that England have much better TH options as I doubt Francis would have wanted to play for us if he'd had any real chance of playing for England. I'm sure that if there were any others out there already qualified we'd have capped them already, so the only other option is to try and naturalise a NWQ player (which means either Fia, or waiting at least three years, by which time you would hope Brown and/or Lewis and/or someone else would have developed).

Nicky Smith isn't a great scrummager on the loosehead so would hardly be likely to be better out of position.

Good point about previously looking for a TH. I see today that Cardiff Blues have signed an un-named tight head which means less game opportunity to develop Dillon Lewis. I wonder if the incoming TH will be Tom Francis on a NDC? Or will it be an overseas signing available all season long?

If there are no ready made International TH's with Welsh heritage then we have to try my earlier point of the WRU hiring a top scrum coach and working with what we have to make them a more effective scrum unit as well as working with the next generation of TH's to get Dillon, Leon and any other young players up to scratch a little quicker

So it is Dimitri Arhip signing for the Blues. Great signing for them but disappointing that Dillon won't get to build on his promising summer with a substantial number of games next year

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Haruki wrote:
Haruki wrote:
Figaro wrote:

So it is Dimitri Arhip signing for the Blues. Great signing for them but disappointing that Dillon won't get to build on his promising summer with a substantial number of games next year

I thought that Arhip was going to France?

eg

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44169828

Probably more money in Cardiff? :D

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:31 am
Regional Player

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... i-14787381

Happening apparently.

Great signing for the Blues and totally left of field, can only imagine they offered him substantially more $$. Not too worried for Dillon - props never play a whole game anyway so you always need a couple of decent ones.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-set-sign-dmitri-14787381

Happening apparently.

Great signing for the Blues and totally left of field, can only imagine they offered him substantially more $$. Not too worried for Dillon - props never play a whole game anyway so you always need a couple of decent ones.

Agreed and Dillon will also doubtless learn a-lot from Arhip, one of the best if not the best scrummaging t/h's in Wales.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:56 pm