It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:58 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
RWC U20 Championship: Wales v New Zealand (Sun 03.06.2018) 
Author Message
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 6437
Post Re: RWC U20 Championship: Wales v New Zealand (Sun 03.06.2018)
Tony Panties wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:
The performance was fine for the first twenty odd minutes but thereafter it was awful.
Dreadful kicking out of hand, woeful line outs, poor handling skills, outmuscled at the breakdown, no game plan whatsoever.

The biggest disappointment was the seeming need to constantly kick possession away. It’s cowardly rugby. When you watch Ireland play they respect possession of the rugby ball. They recycle through ruck after ruck and retain possession phase after phase. They don’t panic.
With our national team and our under 20’s possession is too easily given away. They don’t seem able to construct a game plan. It might be that our players are simply not good enough but I would question how well these lads are actually being coached.


I disagree, and it's not necessarily cowardly or wrong, nz kicked away possession but kicked it into positions where they ensured that play was largely in the Welsh half. Cute rugby.in the dreadful conditions.

and

Leinster and Ireland kick a lot especially in first half...they continually test opponents strengths under pressure (they follow up fast and have fierce bfeakdown capabiliy) They wear teams down and increase the attacking momentum as it presents itself and increasingly so.

France v Ireland and Racing v Leinster both denied them the opportunities they usually create with this gambit because their defence was solid and their breakdown capability more than matched the Irish equivalent.


Horses for courses and game plan is important and I must agree that kicking away possession must have accuracy and a more complete game plan to complete the circumstance.

As on another post I like to stress the coaching of players in confidence to meet circumstances and play what's in front of them.

Kicking possession is not necessarily a poor option, whatever is done should have a purpose and, importantly, be read and supported by the unit and team.


Yes I see what you are saying. The difference being our kicking out of hand is too often clueless and aimless and undertaken because there is no confidence in potential options on the pitch. Whereas with Ireland or Leinster it is usually part of a game plan to target the opposition full back or winger with the intent of winning the ball from that kick and thereby retaining possession rather than kicking it away.


Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 6437
Post Re: RWC U20 Championship: Wales v New Zealand (Sun 03.06.2018)
Blindside wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:
The performance was fine for the first twenty odd minutes but thereafter it was awful.
Dreadful kicking out of hand, woeful line outs, poor handling skills, outmuscled at the breakdown, no game plan whatsoever.

The biggest disappointment was the seeming need to constantly kick possession away. It’s cowardly rugby. When you watch Ireland play they respect possession of the rugby ball. They recycle through ruck after ruck and retain possession phase after phase. They don’t panic.
With our national team and our under 20’s possession is too easily given away. They don’t seem able to construct a game plan. It might be that our players are simply not good enough but I would question how well these lads are actually being coached.




If you are not producing quality players from a decent player base, then you must question "how well these lads are being coached" but that question is not a simple one. Perhaps the Welsh under 20 team coaches are asking the same thing. Where and how far back do we question, and do we base our conclusion on the correct information, indeed what factors should be used in the equation?



Yes by the time they are 18 or 19 they may well have been coached to play and react in a certain way. However they are surely still young enough to be coached out of or at least improved in the way they react in certain circumstances.
I was just bemused at what I was watching yesterday. There was no gameplan beyond the first twenty minutes. It was just aimless.


Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 6437
Post Re: RWC U20 Championship: Wales v New Zealand (Sun 03.06.2018)
Pearcey3 wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:
The performance was fine for the first twenty odd minutes but thereafter it was awful.
Dreadful kicking out of hand, woeful line outs, poor handling skills, outmuscled at the breakdown, no game plan whatsoever.

The biggest disappointment was the seeming need to constantly kick possession away. It’s cowardly rugby. When you watch Ireland play they respect possession of the rugby ball. They recycle through ruck after ruck and retain possession phase after phase. They don’t panic.
With our national team and our under 20’s possession is too easily given away. They don’t seem able to construct a game plan. It might be that our players are simply not good enough but I would question how well these lads are actually being coached.


I disagree, and it's not necessarily cowardly or wrong, nz kicked away possession but kicked it into positions where they ensured that play was largely in the Welsh half. Cute rugby.in the dreadful conditions.

and

Leinster and Ireland kick a lot especially in first half...they continually test opponents strengths under pressure (they follow up fast and have fierce bfeakdown capabiliy) They wear teams down and increase the attacking momentum as it presents itself and increasingly so.

France v Ireland and Racing v Leinster both denied them the opportunities they usually create with this gambit because their defence was solid and their breakdown capability more than matched the Irish equivalent.


Horses for courses and game plan is important and I must agree that kicking away possession must have accuracy and a more complete game plan to complete the circumstance.

As on another post I like to stress the coaching of players in confidence to meet circumstances and play what's in front of them.

Kicking possession is not necessarily a poor option, whatever is done should have a purpose and, importantly, be read and supported by the unit and team.


Yes I see what you are saying. The difference being our kicking out of hand is too often clueless and aimless and undertaken because there is no confidence in potential options on the pitch. Whereas with Ireland or Leinster it is usually part of a game plan to target the opposition full back or winger with the intent of winning the ball from that kick and thereby retaining possession rather than kicking it away. So for me it is a lack of courage and conviction that sees us kick away possession time and again..


Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Carwyn, Troron and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: