It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
Wales v South Africa (Sat 02.06.2018) 
World XV Player

Post Wales v South Africa (Sat 02.06.2018)
Venue: RFK Stadium, Washington DC Date: Saturday, 2 June Kick-off: 22:00 BST
Coverage: Live scores and commentary on the BBC Sport website and app, Live commentary on Radio Wales AM and Radio Cymru
Live on Channel 4

Wales team: Hallam Amos; Tom Prydie, George North, Owen Watkin, Steff Evans; Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams; Nicky Smith, Elliot Dee, Dillon Lewis; Cory Hill, Bradley Davies; Seb Davies, Ellis Jenkins (capt), Ross Moriarty.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Rhodri Jones, Adam Beard, Aaron Wainwright, Aled Davies, Rhys Patchell/Gareth Davies, Hadleigh Parkes.

South Africa: Curwin Bosch; Travis Ismaiel, Jesse Kriel, Andre Esterhuizen, Makazole Mapimpi; Elton Jantjies, Ivan van Zyl; Ox Nche, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Wilco Louw, Jason Jenkins, Pieter-Steph du Toit (capt), Kwagga Smith, Oupa Mohoje, Dan du Preez

Replacements: Akker van der Merwe, Steven Kitshoff, Thomas du Toit, Marvin Orie, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Embrose Papier, Robert du Preez, Warrick Gelant

Referee: Matthew Carley (RFU).

Assistant referees: Alexandre Ruiz (FR) and Frank Murphy (IRE).

TMO: David Grashoff (RFU).

Thu May 31, 2018 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales v South Africa (Sat 02.06.2018)
I have checked Channel 4 and it is on. The Scotland game first then the Wales game at 10:00 pm.

Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big opportunity for Tomos Williams and Dillon Lewis.
Also good to see Prydie given a starting slot after a few years in the wilderness.
I assume Seb Davies will play at 6 with Moriarty at 8?

Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 pm
World XV Player

I haven't much of a clue about the Bok team. The only one I've seen in action is Robert du Preez but he is on the bench. I rate him as one of the best FH is world rugby. Why he is on the bench, who knows.

Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Whats the 'Rhys Patchell/Gareth Davies' thing all about?

Thu May 31, 2018 7:52 pm
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
I haven't much of a clue about the Bok team. The only one I've seen in action is Robert du Preez but he is on the bench. I rate him as one of the best FH is world rugby. Why he is on the bench, who knows.

I believe it's because you can't play 16 men at the same time and Du Preez's talents may be thought to be exactly what's required at the crunch end of games.

Can you agree?

Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:

Siamese twins? :D

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:04 am
Club Player

I hope we destroy the b@stards.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Very iffy team from Wales, back row will be tested

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:57 am
World XV Player

There's been chirpings from Gwyn and the other naysayers as per usual.

Gatland has reacted by saying the people who don't want Wales to field development sides to get experience of this kind of travelling and exposure are bitter and twisted.

Spot on, Mr Gatland - game, set and match.

It's a good video and it's on the BBC sport page.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:26 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
There have been chirpings from Gwyn and the other naysayers as per usual.

Gatland has reacted by saying the people who don't want Wales to field development sides to get an experience of this kind of travelling and exposure are bitter and twisted.

Spot on, Mr Gatland - game, set and match.

It's a good video and it's on the BBC sports page.

We certainly have much more depth than we used to have. So Mr Gatland may just be right.
Remember how we used to go into depression when one of our top players was not available, such as Adam Jones.
Ah! I remember it well. :D
I no longer feel that way as I know that there are other players knocking on the door to prove they can do just as good a job.
Most Wales top players are now looking over their shoulders at the players pushing for their jersey.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:16 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Apparently Patchell has a knock (so we shouldn't necessarily read anything into Anscombe geting the nod at 10); he will be on the bench if OK, otherwise it will be Davies as we have no other flyhalves in the squad (!).

Happy generally with the squad - particularly good to see Tomos Williams and Dillon Lewis get their chances - with two exceptions:

1) What's the point of bringing one of the most promising young locks in a while and playing him at 6, and at the same time, taking Josh Turnbull and not playing him? I realise that Seb is probably only being considered at 6 because both Navidi and Shingler got injured, but what is the point of playing him there at all? Our depth at flanker is insane and long-term he's nowhere near the front of the queue (Warburton, Moriarty, Shingler, Lydiate, Navidi, Tipuric etc. etc. not to mention the likes of Cracknell, Cross, Wainwright, Keddie and others in the wings) but we really need some more depth to surface at lock. Davies didn't look brilliant out of position at 8 against Georgia and is playing entirely at lock with the Blues. It's doing the lad no favours to play him out of position: if he does well it'll make no difference, if he does badly it could knock his confidence or keep him out of the running at lock. Why not just play Turnbull?

2) Why does Gatland persist with Rhodri Jones at 3... it's pretty clear by now he's mainly a loosehead and wouldn't it have been better to give another go to Leon Brown (or is he injured?) or even have a look at e.g. Kieron Assiratti, who was keeping Dillon Lewis out of the Blues' XV for a long time, or even Lloyd Fairbrother, who had a good season with the Dragons and is only 26?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Didn't AWJ win his first 2 caps as a 6?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Apparently Patchell has a knock (so we shouldn't necessarily read anything into Anscombe geting the nod at 10); he will be on the bench if OK, otherwise it will be Davies as we have no other flyhalves in the squad (!).

Happy generally with the squad - particularly good to see Tomos Williams and Dillon Lewis get their chances - with two exceptions:

1) What's the point of bringing one of the most promising young locks in a while and playing him at 6, and at the same time, taking Josh Turnbull and not playing him? I realise that Seb is probably only being considered at 6 because both Navidi and Shingler got injured, but what is the point of playing him there at all? Our depth at flanker is insane and long-term he's nowhere near the front of the queue (Warburton, Moriarty, Shingler, Lydiate, Navidi, Tipuric etc. etc. not to mention the likes of Cracknell, Cross, Wainwright, Keddie and others in the wings) but we really need some more depth to surface at lock. Davies didn't look brilliant out of position at 8 against Georgia and is playing entirely at lock with the Blues. It's doing the lad no favours to play him out of position: if he does well it'll make no difference, if he does badly it could knock his confidence or keep him out of the running at lock. Why not just play Turnbull?

2) Why does Gatland persist with Rhodri Jones at 3... it's pretty clear by now he's mainly a loosehead and wouldn't it have been better to give another go to Leon Brown (or is he injured?) or even have a look at e.g. Kieron Assiratti, who was keeping Dillon Lewis out of the Blues' XV for a long time, or even Lloyd Fairbrother, who had a good season with the Dragons and is only 26?

Point 1- Completely agree

Point 2- Completely agree, even the Ospreys are switching him for the new season

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:02 pm
World XV Player

On Seb Davies... the thinking may be that playing at 6 is a good chance for him to get experience without the expectations put at lock. Gatland has said in the past lock is a attritional position in his sides, values physicality, and has tended to pick out and out lock forwards at both 4 and 5 - with a number (often 5) making the squad.

So... Davies currently does lack some punch and physicality and playing in the back row may be a chance to get a start, show case his ability, and progress into the second row in a few years

On rhod Jones... yes the experiment failed. However this is a big game for smith as Jones has started putting some pressure on at 1 at regional level. I’m going to suggest gatland will take Evans, wyn Jones and Rhodri Jones as his three LHs to the World Cup. As for the other selections.. I would have taken Scott Andrews over the others

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next