It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
This is taking the pi55 
World XV Player

Post Re: This is taking the pi55
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:
Justic wrote:
:sleepy2: Super rugby is NOT club rugby

Super rugby, regions, clubs, franchises, all follow the same WR rules on releasing players to international sides during the designated window. Outside that window they are allowed to block players playing for an international team but during the window a player must be allowed to play for the country if selected. Again you sidestepped the question, do you think Clubs, regions, franchises and any teams the player has a contract with should be able to block them from playing internationally with little more than a clause in the contract?

As far as the NZRFU are concerned, hes made himself available for NZ, he’s then changed his mind mid contract so he can play for another country. The NZRFU are simply trying to protect their system, otherwise anyone could sign knowing they won’t play for NZ and taking a place away from someone who will.

Making yourself available and actually being legally bound to the team are 2 different things. By WR rules the only way a player can be legally bound to a national side is by being capped for either the main team or the designated 2nd team. Shields has not been capped therefore is not legally bound to the NZ team preventing him playing for another national side.

To add to this, imagine it was reversed and it was an uncapped English player in the Prem with Kiwi parents that NZ wanted to cap. Can anyone honestly say that the English clubs or RFU would have any defence? I suspect the fact it is a NZ player trying to be capped by England that has made this such an issue.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Troron wrote:
To add to this, imagine it was reversed and it was an uncapped English player in the Prem with Kiwi parents that NZ wanted to cap. Can anyone honestly say that the English clubs or RFU would have any defence? I suspect the fact it is a NZ player trying to be capped by England that has made this such an issue.

It's a good show from the sidelines.
Whinging self righteous Kiwis versus desperate poaching Poms.
Break out the popcorn.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Troron wrote:

Break out the popcorn.

Can't even argue with that, in this case it really is desperate poaching.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:
Justic wrote:
:sleepy2: Super rugby is NOT club rugby

Super rugby, regions, clubs, franchises, all follow the same WR rules on releasing players to international sides during the designated window. Outside that window they are allowed to block players playing for an international team but during the window a player must be allowed to play for the country if selected. Again you sidestepped the question, do you think Clubs, regions, franchises and any teams the player has a contract with should be able to block them from playing internationally with little more than a clause in the contract?

As far as the NZRFU are concerned, hes made himself available for NZ, he’s then changed his mind mid contract so he can play for another country. The NZRFU are simply trying to protect their system, otherwise anyone could sign knowing they won’t play for NZ and taking a place away from someone who will.

Making yourself available and actually being legally bound to the team are 2 different things. By WR rules the only way a player can be legally bound to a national side is by being capped for either the main team or the designated 2nd team. Shields has not been capped therefore is not legally bound to the NZ team preventing him playing for another national side.

The NZRFU allow 2 players(I think) in each super team that aren’t NZQ, so they have depth when AB selection comes around. No one can really argue that that isn’t a cracking way to run the rugby system. Anyone who signs up knows that and hopefully, they want to be an AB. If the NZRFU are doing something illegal, then they’ll have to adjust the contract again to protect their squads from poaching. NZ wouldn’t cap anyone playing in the prem, have to play super rugby to be eligible, hence one of the reasons the NZRFU have this contract in place.

I’m a Wellingtonian, and have liked watching shields over the years, and have no complaints if he does go north. Good for him. It’ll be interesting to see how this all pans out. NZ aren’t trying to be sad guys here, they are just trying to keep control of a system that has helped them dominate rugby for the last 10 years. I suspect Shields will go and his contract will be ripped up.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 pm
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Troron wrote:

Break out the popcorn.

:thefinger:

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 pm
World XV Player

It seems most English don’t really like this selection, young players in the prem must be seething. A guy halfway around the world who has grown up wanting to be an AB, who has never played in an English team and probably has no close relationship with anyone in any of the English teams(except with kiwis) is up for selection. :scratch: It just seems like a step in the wrong direction. It’s within the rules but surely it’s better for the future of English rugby to not make these types of decisions?

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
It seems most English don’t really like this selection, young players in the prem must be seething. A guy halfway around the world who has grown up wanting to be an AB, who has never played in an English team and probably has no close relationship with anyone in any of the English teams(except with kiwis) is up for selection. :scratch: It just seems like a step in the wrong direction. It’s within the rules but surely it’s better for the future of English rugby to not make these types of decisions?

If he was already in England and called up as an injury replacement then I could stomach it. As it is we have alternatives already here that are younger and successive English coaches are just not giving them a chance. It's not even like they have a few caps and don't deliver, they don't even get the caps in the first place. Very few have 10 or more caps

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:

If he was already in England and called up as an injury replacement then I could stomach it. As it is we have alternatives already here that are younger and successive English coaches are just not giving them a chance. It's not even like they have a few caps and don't deliver, they don't even get the caps in the first place. Very few have 10 or more caps

It’s madness bro, not because Shields is a kiwi or anything like that, but because of the reasons you said. Must suck for all those young lads, and might even tempt one or two of them to chase the money elsewhere instead of the red rose. As much as I enjoy watching the poms lose, I want them to be strong, along with everyone else.

And thinking about it, have any imports been so amazing that this kind of route is worth the risk? I reckon Eddie is being a bit short sighted with this selection, he should be opening the door for young poms and giving them a shot.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:41 am
World XV Player

And, If any team is capable of finding a way to cheat, it would be England.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Old Fart wrote:

Top quality banter, you should be on stage.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Old Fart wrote:

Top quality banter, you should be on stage.

it is purely in admiration, I suspect. ;)

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 pm
World XV Player

As far as not allowing Shields to go - I reckon the NZRU should hold out just to be *tommy tankers*. It's good for a laugh. It's not going to affect the England career Shields will have in the long run - he'll still be there for the major disappointment in Japan next year.

On Shields in general. He's a good SR player who was never good enough to make the step up. He's a journeyman loosie who works hard, but never had anything special to get him that step further. LC loves him because he's a Cane - no one else really rates the guy more than crediting his hard work.

If England have fallen so far that they need our journeymen - then they should go for it. Go get paid Shields.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:45 am
World XV Player

Brad Shields, the English qualified flanker playing in New Zealand for the Hurricanes, is eligible for selection for the England tour to South Africa this summer.

The RFU’s agreement with Premiership Rugby precludes the selection of overseas based players, however as Shields is joining Wasps next season, head coach Eddie Jones will be permitted to pick the 27-year-old should he wish.

A precedent was set in this regard last year when Northampton centre Piers Francis, then playing for the Blues, was selected the tour to Argentina.

With Jones hinting that he may rest some players who were involved in last year’s Lions tour and the likes of Courtney Lawes and Nathan Hughes on a lengthening injury list, Shields will at least bolster Jones’ back-row options.

In the event that Shields, who qualifies for England through his parents, is selected then he would return to the Hurricanes to complete the Super Rugby season before linking up with Wasps.

Telegraph.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:43 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
As far as not allowing Shields to go - I reckon the NZRU should hold out just to be *tommy tankers*. It's good for a laugh. It's not going to affect the England career Shields will have in the long run - he'll still be there for the major disappointment in Japan next year.

On Shields in general. He's a good SR player who was never good enough to make the step up. He's a journeyman loosie who works hard, but never had anything special to get him that step further. LC loves him because he's a Cane - no one else really rates the guy more than crediting his hard work.

If England have fallen so far that they need our journeymen - then they should go for it. Go get paid Shields.

Love is a strong word. He’s been decent enough for the canes, and has served his time pretty well in the capital. Good luck to him regardless of what happens here. :occasion5:

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:16 am
World XV Player

He's a journeyman flanker then .... not leadership material either ....

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:23 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next