It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
This is taking the pi55 
World XV Player

Post Re: This is taking the pi55
Bouch wrote:
He's a journeyman flanker then .... not leadership material either ....

Have you ever seen him play? He's an excellent player who would have had a load of caps had he been born in any other country than NZ. So hardly a "journeyman"
BTW He is the current captain of the Canes

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:25 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Have you ever seen him play? He's an excellent player who would have had a load of caps had he been born in any other country than NZ. So hardly a "journeyman"

He's a guy that works very hard but is not physically gifted enough to make the next step up. He's a solid SR player, but not outstanding. In weak times he might've been an AB.

He has a great work ethic which makes him a good choice for captain though.

If the ABs come up against Brad when he plays for England they won't be worried. All the top guys here dominate him.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Bouch wrote:

He's a guy that works very hard but is not physically gifted enough to make the next step up. He's a solid SR player, but not outstanding. In weak times he might've been an AB.

He has a great work ethic which makes him a good choice for captain though.

If the ABs come up against Brad when he plays for England they won't be worried. All the top guys here dominate him.

I don’t know if he has been dominated much tbh, there’s only a few top guys who are above him, otherwise he’s a decent flanker. I heard he was selected recently but turned it down? Don’t know if it’s true or not.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 am
World XV Player

He was going to be selected last year as injury cover but turned it down because he'd already signed overseas and saw the cash coming from a place in the English International Selection.

When he's gone up against Read, or Squire, or even Kaino (a couple of years back) Shields is anonymous. That doesn't make him a bad player, it's just that the other guys are better. Vaea Fitita has a ton more potential too.

Like I said - it's good for him to take this money on offer. Go get paid boy (but the ABs won't be worried about facing him).

Tue May 01, 2018 8:08 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
He was going to be selected last year as injury cover but turned it down because he'd already signed overseas and saw the cash coming from a place in the English International Selection.

When he's gone up against Read, or Squire, or even Kaino (a couple of years back) Shields is anonymous. That doesn't make him a bad player, it's just that the other guys are better. Vaea Fitita has a ton more potential too.

Like I said - it's good for him to take this money on offer. Go get paid boy (but the ABs won't be worried about facing him).

Fair play to him. I can see why he is taking the money but it is a shame if he turned down the opportunity to play for the All Blacks to get another contract.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Like iron ...

:clown:

Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Four More Years wrote:

Fair play to him. I can see why he is taking the money but it is a shame if he turned down the opportunity to play for the All Blacks to get another contract.

He knew he was probably going to be a 1 capper, so thought his chances better playing in white. Most of us can only dream of those choices. Has anything happened with this situation yet? Is Shields going? NZRFU going to fight it?

Fifita is a cracking prospect, think he’ll push for an ab spot in the future.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 pm
World XV Player

released and picked for tour

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44065617

Thu May 10, 2018 8:50 pm
World XV Player

It doesn't say much for English rugby when they are desperate enough to need to poach a player from Super rugby level and cap him without him ever playing a game at any level for England.

I admire NZRU for how they have dealt with the situation and wish Sheilds only the best, but I suspect he is about to jump into a molten fire.

Sat May 12, 2018 5:49 am
World XV Player

Justic wrote:
It doesn't say much for English rugby when they are desperate enough to need to poach a player from Super rugby level and cap him without him ever playing a game at any level for England.

I admire NZRU for how they have dealt with the situation and wish Sheilds only the best, but I suspect he is about to jump into a molten fire.

I wonder how the squad members feel? I’m guessing those who miss out on his position will be fuming. Massive kick to the nads by EJ to just call in someone who no one has played with, or probably have never met. If said players were rubbish then maybe it’s a fair call, but by most reports he’s no better than what they already have. :dontknow:

I suspect EJ was trying to ruffle the NZRFU feathers a bit, mind games sort of thing, but this could well backfire bigtime.

Sat May 12, 2018 6:40 am
British & Irish Lions Player

If he is from New Zealand he must be good. Known in the game as "the Hoeata fallacy".

Sat May 12, 2018 5:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think Jones is going for him because he already has a reputation as a solid back row. The English alternatives don't have that reputation and most of them are young. Jones obviously doesn't trust them to do it right and apparently got it into his head that to win the world cup you need an experienced back row and now is loath to move away from that. He had hoped Robshaw-Haskell-Binny would be that but a combination of injuries and drop in form along with him wasting a whole year pratting about with a lock there has severely depleted our chances of looking at new players.

Simmonds looked ok in an open game but has had little time, Armand got 11 minutes, Clifford seemed ok but was constantly missing in defence and Harrison just wasn't that good.

Sun May 13, 2018 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
I think Jones is going for him because he already has a reputation as a solid back row. The English alternatives don't have that reputation and most of them are young. Jones obviously doesn't trust them to do it right and apparently got it into his head that to win the world cup you need an experienced back row and now is loath to move away from that.

Thats a very sad indictment of Jones as a coach. Surely a coach should not only get the best out of his current players but have 1/2 an eye on what comes next and to encourage those players to push to the limit and more in training and playing

Sun May 13, 2018 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Troron wrote:
I think Jones is going for him because he already has a reputation as a solid back row. The English alternatives don't have that reputation and most of them are young. Jones obviously doesn't trust them to do it right and apparently got it into his head that to win the world cup you need an experienced back row and now is loath to move away from that.

Thats a very sad indictment of Jones as a coach. Surely a coach should not only get the best out of his current players but have 1/2 an eye on what comes next and to encourage those players to push to the limit and more in training and playing

Jones intent on similar strategy to Woodward ... win World Cup at all costs and bugger what follows?

Sun May 13, 2018 4:09 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Troron wrote:

Jones intent on similar strategy to Woodward ... win World Cup at all costs and bugger what follows?

The thing is Woodward had much longer to achieve it and essentially built the team up from a good successor. Jones has tried to copy is but in less time and he is not dealing with a golden generation, more a silver one. Woodward gave lots of caps to the same players because they were genuinely the best, the likes of Wilko, Johnson, Hill, Back (god couldn't we have them again?) and others were all right up there as either the best or close to the best in the world. The current crop just aren't there and the potential to be there is all locked up in our under-utilised youth.

Sun May 13, 2018 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6