It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Gatland's replacement. 
Club Player

Post Gatland's replacement.
Who would you like to see?

I hope Pivac gets it, he's been in Wales a while now, so he knows the scene here, he would be the best choice IMO, I like the way his team plays, he would do well with Wales.

We need a complete clear out, none of the current set up should remain, only 18 months to go.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Gatland's replacement.
It will be strange to be in the post - Gatland era but I do feel he has stayed too long and probably should have gone after the 2015 WC.

I like Pivac too. In the past, domestic success has not guaranteed itself to be replicated at international level (Jenkins, Waldron) but of course Pivac is Kiwi, which is slightly different. He has experience of the NZ system too and this could be valuable. It is quite possible that there will be an immediate impact felt, as is often the case with a new coach (Gatland, Schmidt, Jones) but it will be interesting to see how he does over a longer period.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Its certainly something to look forward to, I agree with you that Gatland should have gone after the world cup, even he knows that himself.
Time goes so fast these days that it won't be long before the current set up are packing their bags, they have done well for Wales but, unfortunately they stayed on too long, not their fault of course.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yes, on the whole they have been very positive but everything has its time. The next appointment could be one of the most important ever.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
Its certainly something to look forward to, I agree with you that Gatland should have gone after the world cup, even he knows that himself.
Time goes so fast these days that it won't be long before the current set up are packing their bags, they have done well for Wales but, unfortunately they stayed on too long, not their fault of course.

So can you name a coach, any coach who would have improved on the 2nd position in this years 6N bearing in mind the lack of top quality front 5 forwards and our only 2 real world class players being injured

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:

So can you name a coach, any coach who would have improved on the 2nd position in this years 6N bearing in mind the lack of top quality front 5 forwards and our only 2 real world class players being injured

Assume you mean JD and Warbs?

Is Faletau not world class?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:01 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Big And Dull wrote:

To be pedantic I think you have missed A-W J out of our world class player list.

I hope either Pivac or Dave Rennie gets it as I think they would both have
improved our performances.Not improved them enough to win it perhaps-
as here we must give credit to a fine Ireland team - but we might have won
at Twickers then gone to Dublin with more confidence and who knows what
might have happened.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

buglet wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

Fair comment, sorry forgot him

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:06 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

buglet wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

You quibble Sir, Faletau only became available coming back from injury after when he had acquired some game time on the back foot for Bath.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pen wrote:
buglet wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

You quibble Sir, Faletau only became available coming back from injury after when he had acquired some game time on the back foot for Bath.

My point sirrah was that it is possible to argue we have 3 world class players, not two.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

awaywardlad wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

To be pedantic I think you have missed A-W J out of our world class player list.

I hope either Pivac or Dave Rennie gets it as I think they would both have
improved our performances.Not improved them enough to win it perhaps-
as here we must give credit to a fine Ireland team - but we might have won
at Twickers then gone to Dublin with more confidence and who knows what
might have happened.

Sorry, but as an ex 2nd row and with the greatest of respect to AWJ who has never ever played with anything less than 120 per cent there are too many better than him in the world to call him as truly world class

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Who would you like to see?

I hope Pivac gets it, he's been in Wales a while now, so he knows the scene here, he would be the best choice IMO, I like the way his team plays, he would do well with Wales.

We need a complete clear out, none of the current set up should remain, only 18 months to go.

I always find it hard to assess the inpact of the coching staff

Sometimes we do really well in the lineouts and then other times we do badly - can McBryde be blamed or praised for both?

Sometimes out defence does really well sometimes not so much? Same with Edwards.

Our attack is sometimes lacking but is this in part down to selection or a defensive mind set? I have no idea and I suspect no one on here does either.

Our kicking for points is brilliant. Jenkins surely has to stay?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

He has 18 months to go and no doubt we will 'scour the world', but why on earth would youmwantnto declare someone now? Things can change over an 18 month timeframe so Id prefer if we waited a little longer before hanging a hat on anyone right now!

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:50 pm
World XV Player

If and when a. new Wales Dir of Rugby is appointed he will decide his staff, simple as.

Any Dir of Rugby worth his salt will not inherit incumbents unless thete's good reason so to do.

My only specific comment would be that I would be wary of a too early Pivac appointment. A full blown International responsibility is a different kettle of fish and, imo, the brief isn't to improve onternational results it is to advise and insist on an improved infrastructure of Welsh rugby for the long term as well as the development of the International team.

The WRU should give the person a reasonably free hand so to do and the Regions must buy onto it.

Pigs might fly I suppose

:walk:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:58 pm
Club Player

The next coach should not be named until after Gatland has gone, no need to name him in advance, in fact that would be counter productive.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next