It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Spain WC hopes over. 
International Player

Post Spain WC hopes over.
Spain missed out on directly qualifying for next years WC when the lost to Belgium today. The ref and his officials were apparently so terrible that it verged on incompetent. The match officials just happened to be from Romania who funnily enough is the country that pipped Spain to the final direct qualifying Europe place. World Rugby the new FIFA?

Then this happened.

Spain can still qualify via the playoffs but that would mean beating Samoa on the way and that ain't going to happen.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Spain WC hopes over.
Que lastima. Entonces solo tendremos con certeza dos paises hispanohablantes en la Copa Mundial.

On another note, to reiterate the huge gap that still exists in rugby between the traditional powers and the rest: two Summers ago, an Ospreys team consisting of 40-50% academy players beat Belgium away 71-0.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Que lastima. Entonces solo tendremos con certeza dos paises hispanohablantes en la Copa Mundial.

On another note, to reiterate the huge gap that still exists in rugby between the traditional powers and the rest: two Summers ago, an Ospreys team consisting of 40-50% academy players beat Belgium away 71-0.

Argentina, Qué país es el otro ?

Edit
A isi Uruguay, lo siento.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Fingal wrote:
Spain missed out on directly qualifying for next years WC when the lost to Belgium today. The ref and his officials were apparently so terrible that it verged on incompetent. The match officials just happened to be from Romania who funnily enough is the country that pipped Spain to the final direct qualifying Europe place. World Rugby the new FIFA?

Then this happened.

Spain can still qualify via the playoffs but that would mean beating Samoa on the way and that ain't going to happen.

Just as World Rugby saw fit to replace the assistant referee for the England v Ireland game (when he had been brought into the English game to advise them prior to the game). So it would have been encumbent upon Rugby Europe to listen to the Spanish request for changes and/or a TMO, before this important qualifying match before the RWC.

Instead, they allow an all Romanian team of referees to adjudicate badly on an game where there is clearly a huge conflict of interest. Which is realised, as Romania qualify, despite their lose to Georgia. When they would not have qualified, as long as Spain took the expected simple win against Belgium. Not that Spain played to their potential.

'Something is rotten in the state of (Denmark)' Belgium/Spain/Romania, or 'wherever'). It is so reminiscent of the early days of the football World Cup qualifications and we are now only too well aware how much money has been changing hands.

Clearly the ante amongst the 2nd tier European sides wishing to get to the World Stage has been raised. Fisty cuffs and a willingness to go to war, no less :)

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Spain still have a decent chance to qualify. They need to beat Samoa in a home/away playoff, then if they fail at that hurdle, they will get one more chance to make it through the repechage, the best possible team in there is Canada who are in a real mess.

They really missed a trick in losing to Belgium though, that would have been by far the better route.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Spain still have a decent chance to qualify. They need to beat Samoa in a home/away playoff, then if they fail at that hurdle, they will get one more chance to make it through the repechage, the best possible team in there is Canada who are in a real mess.

They really missed a trick in losing to Belgium though, that would have been by far the better route.

I would have thought the events of this game will have massive implications for them, some players will be banned

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

World Rugby to investigate the tie: story on this BBC article:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43458625

British Broadcasting Corporation 2018.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Disgraceful on all counts.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tyleri82 wrote:
Disgraceful on all counts.

As the late Robert Morley once said, "the trouble with international events is that they attract too many foreigners" :P :D

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 pm
World XV Player

Couple of videos posted (all condemning the favouritism of the Ref toward Belgium) but, anyone interested, this is the game in full! General consensus seems to be that this game should be re-played with neutral officials! Ref was pretty blatant on times, no more so than when he decided Belgium hadn't gained enough advantage and took the teams back, fully 35 metres for the penalty! Longest advantage in terms of gain ever I would imagine! (Belgium were turned over inside the opposite 22 so he took them all the way back, beyond the halfway line for the original penalty!)

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:36 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
Couple of videos posted (all condemning the favouritism of the Ref toward Belgium) but, anyone interested, this is the game in full! General consensus seems to be that this game should be re-played with neutral officials! Ref was pretty blatant on times, no more so than when he decided Belgium hadn't gained enough advantage and took the teams back, fully 35 metres for the penalty! Longest advantage in terms of gain ever I would imagine! (Belgium were turned over inside the opposite 22 so he took them all the way back, beyond the halfway line for the original penalty!)

Not watching it, but 35m is pretty fcuking out there. :shock:

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:49 pm
World XV Player

Where is Nigel when you need him .... that was an utter disgrace!

who ever that mob was ... they should be banned forever as acting like the english!

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

:lol:

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:11 pm
World XV Player

What do I always tell you boys, two things are important in sport to be fair and to be seen to be fair.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:12 pm