It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Wales should build team around patchell 
International Player

Post Wales should build team around patchell
Patchell is our best no 10 100%. We need to start him in every game if fit.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales should build team around patchell
What does 'build a team around him' imply :scratch:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:08 pm
World XV Player

Once you build a team around a player you restrict yourself to the form and injury of the player. If they are out, you have to use other players who cannot fill their boots because the team around him doesn't suit his style.

I agree that if Patchell is the player you want then consideration needs to be made to accomodate him but with a view to altering the style when you need to.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

It implies the poster knows more about sea fishing than rugby.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

It implies the poster knows more about sea fishing than rugby.

:D

BS, the naivety is startling, especially :

World Cup depends hugely on permutations and combinations and team variations to meet the very exacting schedule of that tournament.

If that's the objective then the need is to build a flexible, consistent squad with some emphasis of playing what's in front of you to combat the other feature of W Cup, variable opposition. Something that is an anathema to Gatland who seems to like dictate?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:20 pm
World XV Player

The constant obsession with fly-halves is one of the big hindrances to Welsh rugby. It blinds people to the importance of the rest of the team.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

If Patchell had been at No10 yesterday...blah blah....
The pack was poor. The only time it seemed to fire was when the later changes were made.
The scrum was unable to put on any pressure, the line-out was not too bad, there were no driving mauls as usual and the break down a disaster area.
Possession, what little we seemed to have, was slower than lorises after brexit.
To think that Patchell would have improved this is for the birdies.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The 10 situation needs to be seen as part of a bigger picture. Yes, there is too much obsessing over the FH position in Welsh rugby, always has been. Certainly, as I have said elsewhere, we need more muscle up front and we have never been consistently effective at executing a rolling maul (which has to be down to coaching). However, there is no doubt that the ambivalence over the outside half position is a problem that reflects the general lack of direction at present. The 10 position is hugely important (see Ford and Sexton) even if that is sometimes overstated a little and if Wales are to evolve a new style, we need to look beyond Biggar. Nevertheless, the other problems need addressing too. This is not a dichotomous argument.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I like Patchell, but its nonsense to say build a team around him.
When looking to the RWC I think it best to build a team around the style and effectiveness of the best region of the day.
That used to be Ospreys, which was successful, but now it is Scarlets.
What I like about Patchell is the way he gets the line moving usually taking the ball at pace and still either passing or taking on his man. He seems to bring out the best of those around him. Anscombe is similar.
Biggar is pedantic and is best playing to a preconceived pattern (Gatland ball). Where he falls down, as he did against France, he did not have the big runners outside of him and he was found wanting. He is quite a good defensive flyhalf but that is not what you want if you want to go all the way.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

BigRed wrote:
I like Patchell, but its nonsense to say build a team around him.
When looking to the RWC I think it best to build a team around the style and effectiveness of the best region of the day.
That used to be Ospreys, which was successful, but now it is Scarlets.
What I like about Patchell is the way he gets the line moving usually taking the ball at pace and still either passing or taking on his man. He seems to bring out the best of those around him. Anscombe is similar.
Biggar is pedantic and is best playing to a preconceived pattern (Gatland ball). Where he falls down, as he did against France, he did not have the big runners outside of him and he was found wanting. He is quite a good defensive flyhalf but that is not what you want if you want to go all the way.

Its the pack, first and last.
Why do you think sexton is the best? It's because he's behind the best pack in the 6N.
If he'd been playing at 10 for Wales yesterday, behind that poor pack, you'd have been crying for Patchell this morning.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The pack is not great, but are some doing it down a little too much? If it was that bad, we surely would have done worse in this 6N. There are players to return who will shore it up.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

seabass wrote:
Patchell is our best no 10 100%. We need to start him in every game if fit.

No team should be built on one player and no team that did so would survive the Rugby World Cup where a squad of 30 plus is required...Remember even the All Blacks won their home final against the grain with a third/fourth rank player (Donaldson) when they lost Carter.

However, I fully concur that Patchell has infact (though not apparently as the coaches see it), proved the best of this 6 Nations batch, in getting us moving and firing on more than one cylinder.

I am not feeling well disposed to continue the 'fall-back position' of more of the same with Biggar, unless and until he can evolve his game...No doubt in line with what the coaches demand of him.

We shall see whether Gatland has the Cojones to proceed with the revolution (return to entertaining rugby).

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Copper wrote:
The pack was poor. The only time it seemed to fire was when the later changes were made.
The scrum was unable to put on any pressure, the line-out was not too bad, there were no driving mauls as usual and the break down a disaster area.
Possession, what little we seemed to have, was slower than lorises after brexit.

Not true... the implication of your post (correct me if I’m wrong) is your pack needs to be on the front foot before scoring points. If you look at teams like Australia, and any team which has beaten a top SA side, the pack may not be on the front foot.

Therefore it is about selecting personnel which can cause the opposition problems in different ways. In all honesty wales don’t have a set of forwards who can dominate. Not in my opinion. Therefore selection needs to look at different things.

For the record I don’t think patchell at 10 is necessarily the answer. But my issue is gatland is a size man (just look at his lions selection with o’brian - with all choices available at 7) but we don’t have the power he could call on a few years ago.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

buglet wrote:
The pack is not great, but are some doing it down a little too much? If it was that bad, we surely would have done worse in this 6N. There are players to return who will shore it up.

Other than Warburton, who? Maybe Ball, but Jake slimmed down per Pivac request...winners today play fast...like the Scarlets, and what Scotland are trying to do.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 pm
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Copper wrote:

Not true... the implication of your post (correct me if I’m wrong) is your pack needs to be on the front foot before scoring points. If you look at teams like Australia, and any team which has beaten a top SA side, the pack may not be on the front foot.

Therefore it is about selecting personnel which can cause the opposition problems in different ways. In all honesty wales don’t have a set of forwards who can dominate. Not in my opinion. Therefore selection needs to look at different things.

For the record I don’t think patchell at 10 is necessarily the answer. But my issue is gatland is a size man (just look at his lions selection with o’brian - with all choices available at 7) but we don’t have the power he could call on a few years ago.

Decent point, Australia for a period struggled at scrum time in particular, however, they played a 15 man game magnificently. there is a difference in that Australia over the years have been magnificently innovative and progressive in their approach to rugby, groundbreaking. Wales have not been groundbreaking since the 70's, since Carwyn. I heard a term on a political programme this morning that said we need to stop piggybacking regards to other peoples ideas and start leapfrogging, how true this is of Welsh rugby, its quite a sterile environment in both the short and long term, we are reactive, not proactive.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail