It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:38 am

Tackle over the shoulder 
World XV Player

Post Tackle over the shoulder
Today there were a couple of penalties from tackles over the shoulder. I appreciate that we need to stop cpntact with the head but some of them seem like a much better way of being tackled than some of the ones lower down in the body. Is this rule a bit stupid?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Post Re: Tackle over the shoulder
Seatbelt tackles are being outlawed, and rightly so, any contact with the head and neck needs to be avoided. What has amazed me is the complete slowness it is taking pro players to adjust!

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
Seatbelt tackles are being outlawed, and rightly so, any contact with the head and neck needs to be avoided. What has amazed me is the complete slowness it is taking pro players to adjust!

Granted but are they dangerous?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
wombles wrote:

Granted but are they dangerous?

Yes. I was "seatbelted" in the tackle, and as my oppo wrapped he slammed his fist into my jaw, knocking me out, the following movement forced my head towards the ground as his momentum carried through and I was already "gone". my next memory is in hospital hours later. The fact is my tackler had no intention of hurting me and I bear him no ill will, but his actions of playing the seatbelt tackle had the after effects of my loss of consciousness, exposure of my head and back as I hit the ground and my loss of control of my airway, which was obtunded. It was only the fast actions of him when he realised I was in trouble, and the medics that saved me.

The game is full of risks, and we all know that, but the protection of the head and neck is of vital importance. The seatbelt tackle, like the judo roll, the no arms tackle and the old high tackle must be enforced rigorously. Not only at the time, but also in the long term where those of us already exposed are now at higher chance of dementia. Let us reduce the risk for everyone else

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I have seen some of these penalised when the tacklers hand was on the ball and the flat of the shoulder.
Fair enough not to damage tissue, but if it does not even touch ...

I don't know what to say about it. Its good to try and prevent damage, but how do you play the game? Someone ducks and runs head down how do you stop them from close? By the time you get to the legs they have passed or gone. What about having handles stitched into the shirt?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

soap wrote:
I have seen some of these penalised when the tacklers hand was on the ball and the flat of the shoulder.
Fair enough not to damage tissue, but if it does not even touch ...

I don't know what to say about it. Its good to try and prevent damage, but how do you play the game? Someone ducks and runs head down how do you stop them from close? By the time you get to the legs they have passed or gone. What about having handles stitched into the shirt?

If someone ducks, they have made a conscious decision to risk their head and neck, and if we do that (those of us that play) we are already trying to guard from the impact. It is not that that worries me, it is the high shot/seatbelt tackle when you are upright. You are neither expecting nor prepared for it, and that is the dangerous element.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail