It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
England vs Ireland. Build up and match thread. 
World XV Player

Post Re: England vs Ireland. Build up and match thread.
najbritcol wrote:
Judging by Troron's remarks, it seems that Eddie Jones isn't so different from Warren Gatland after all. Both seem to be obsessed with their favourites and are mistrustful of youth. Their coaching regimes are also deficient - in the former's case there is no attack coach at all, while in the latter's case a rather shitty one who has wrongly been entrusted as Acting Coach while he has two whole years off to focus on the Lions. It is also interesting, re the burnout issue, that in the weekend between England's matches with Wales and Scotland, instead of allowing the players to have some rest like all the other teams did, Eddie insisted that they had to practice scrummaging with the Georgians.

:D :D :D :D

Yep, Gatland is famous for abusing the opposition.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:14 am
Primary Schools Player

If I recall Ireland had four players injured on the Lions tour, plus the likes of Ringrose on the Japan tour had a shoulder injury which reqd surgery he could have had instead of the tour..
Another reason why our players are fresh.
If our guys were playing more you guys would say they had the advantage of being battle hardened and match fit .

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

We won this with a comparatively limited (yet disciplined) bag of tricks, married to a simple game-plan. Grind upfront, win the breakdown and drive through the pack thereon. Keep the ball and control possession behind, through Murray and Sexton. Effective and it works.

Our first try was reminiscent of one we scored at the old Arms Park in 1997 (Jonathan Bell down on Jenkins) and you could argue that Schmidt has simply and cleverly, re-invented traditional Irish strengths. The Garryowen has begun to gather rewards again. In addition, we lost two OC's during this 6 nations, so had to cut our cloth accordingly.

Set against this: we seem to be developing a talented and penetrative back-line (Aki exemplifies the skill-set particularly; his run and pass for our 2nd try was just superb). Stockdale is a deadly and revelatory finisher, In other news, Kearney and Earls can't go on forever and will be difficult to replace (although Earls is still not an international centre), when they finally call it a day.

England need to translate their considerable success at U-20 level to the senior team and if that means Jones omitting his favourites, then so be it. We hung on to one or two, too long in Ireland and just look what happened to that.

One more thing: what we wouldn't give for Owen Farrell or Billy Vunipola in a green shirt..... :thumbright:

Sean

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Abertawe Leinster wrote:
We won this with a comparatively limited (yet disciplined) bag of tricks, married to a simple game-plan. Grind upfront, win the breakdown and drive through the pack thereon. Keep the ball and control possession behind, through Murray and Sexton. Effective and it works.

Our first try was reminiscent of one we scored at the old Arms Park in 1997 (Jonathan Bell down on Jenkins) and you could argue that Schmidt has simply and cleverly, re-invented traditional Irish strengths. The Garryowen has begun to gather rewards again. In addition, we lost two OC's during this 6 nations, so had to cut our cloth accordingly.

Set against this: we seem to be developing a talented and penetrative back-line (Aki exemplifies the skill-set particularly; his run and pass for our 2nd try was just superb). Stockdale is a deadly and revelatory finisher, In other news, Kearney and Earls can't go on forever and will be difficult to replace (although Earls is still not an international centre), when they finally call it a day.

England need to translate their considerable success at U-20 level to the senior team and if that means Jones omitting his favourites, then so be it. We hung on to one or two, too long in Ireland and just look what happened to that.

One more thing: what we wouldn't give for Owen Farrell or Billy Vunipola in a green shirt..... :thumbright:

Sean

Go was your mouth out naughty boy! Anyway, Farrel's a knob and Billy still has a welsh accent, so bog off!! :D

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:50 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Well clubs games are back an a grand total of 1 Premiership player is being rested, as compared to the Irish who are practically resting their entire team. No more breaks until the end of the club season... This is ridiculous.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Agreed Troron. The RFU are being very weak here and the clubs really showing short term thinking. A successful national team will do wonders for the club game. These players are being hammered and it’s bound to affect their performance levels. Madness.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Well clubs games are back an a grand total of 1 Premiership player is being rested, as compared to the Irish who are practically resting their entire team. No more breaks until the end of the club season... This is ridiculous.

Mind, lets be fair now, they do need the extra bit of practice right? :D :D

I quite agree with you mate, the English are fast approaching the French with regard to player (especially 'Elite' player) 'commitment' and something is gonna break, if it hasn't already begun? Players are not machines that can be programmed to perform at will (or Dai for that matter!) and some one, some where, needs to get serious in the Aviva about player welfare! International players need to be treated differently because they are different! One reason both Wales/Ireland players can't site as a reason for loss of form, under-performing etc. is game fatigue? (Apart of course, from those who play outside Wales!)

I hadn't really thought too much about it before but watching the England/Ireland game with my mate, he commented (about 67 minute mark?) that he thought some England players were "looking 'jaded' and some look completely knackered!" They clearly could not lift themselves to a point where they could continue to compete on equal terms in any department and you could see the frustration on some faces, Brown, Farrel, Mako even, I thought, the shed himself, Joe Launchbury!!

Tonight, 6 days on from the end of one of the hardest tournaments in World rugby, you have virtually every English player back already! That, is crazy! Just looking at Bath/Exeter right now, and the only player I'm seeing who is truly 'up' for it, is Faletau? Due to his few 6N games no doubt? Crazy and getting crazier still! The fact they are 'professionals' has bugger all to do with it, fatigue is fatigue, no matter your level but, moreso if you are an International that's fatigued!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

If we don't get a grip on this soon, we will follow France and our seniors will fade away, which is a shame because out youth is loaded with talent. The management of player workload and welfare is so piss poor it's infuriating. People like to comment about how England under perform for the number of players we have, it's because we are ultra conservative in our selection and those selected are worked into the ground. We may have more to select from, that doesn't mean we actually select from them or that we treat them properly once selected.

I feel English rugby will make or break in the next decade and it will be a club vs country argument. If the clubs win, it will go the way of English football, if country wins then we could potentially be a top 3 country for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately I can't see anyone in a suit breaking the clubs stranglehold over player workload.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
If we don't get a grip on this soon, we will follow France and our seniors will fade away, which is a shame because out youth is loaded with talent. The management of player workload and welfare is so piss poor it's infuriating. People like to comment about how England under perform for the number of players we have, it's because we are ultra conservative in our selection and those selected are worked into the ground. We may have more to select from, that doesn't mean we actually select from them or that we treat them properly once selected.

I feel English rugby will make or break in the next decade and it will be a club vs country argument. If the clubs win, it will go the way of English football, if country wins then we could potentially be a top 3 country for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately I can't see anyone in a suit breaking the clubs stranglehold over player workload.

Which do the English fans prefer? Club or country?

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:32 am
World XV Player

Some English clubs are owned by shareholders.

I'd guess having a financial interest might be a game changer.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:

Which do the English fans prefer? Club or country?

That’s a very good question. From my knowledge of England supporters many prefer their club.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:22 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

2 Ulster players who started are playing vs Blues tonight.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cathalsmart wrote:
2 Ulster players who started are playing vs Blues tonight.

They did not have a very hard game last week.. :P :D

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:28 pm
World XV Player

Interesting this club / country thing. A young friend of mine, who is a mad Manchester City fan does not give a hoot about the English national football side. He says many of his friends feel the same way. He is 21 - wonder if this is becoming a trend and will it spread to rugby?

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

buglet wrote:
Interesting this club / country thing. A young friend of mine, who is a mad Manchester City fan does not give a hoot about the English national football side. He says many of his friends feel the same way. He is 21 - wonder if this is becoming a trend and will it spread to rugby?

It already has, cue Top14 rugby in France.

They care about National Rugby but the Club following is big and the revenue surpasses that of the Federation ...

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next