It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
6N Wales v France (Sat 17.03.2018) 
World XV Player

Post Re: 6N Wales v France (Sat 17.03.2018)
Tony Panties wrote:
BigRed wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Keith L wrote:
i *fupping* love this continual reference to the Scarlets way and how Wales should adopt it, how short are peoples memories FFS, try 2005 people!

Yes I agree and makes discussion around playing a wider game difficult, as Scarlets have now trademarked running rugby

Also completely misses the complete non-performance of some of their forwards including a much-vaunted loose head

Yes 2005, we played the Ospreys way. It was good then and the players were great.
However, it is now 2017/2018 and the side winning and worth watching now is Scarlets and the way they play.
We adopted the Ospreys back then, it is time now to adopt the Scarlets.
In 2005 Ospreys beat the Irish sides on their own turf. In 2017 Scarlets beat the Irish on their home turf.
We cannot continue to live in 2005, the game has moved on.

Ospreys didn't why should Scarlets .... :scratch:

Scarlets crest pf the wave is recent ...How longlasting?

I really think this apparent clamour for adopting Scarlets modus operandi is hasty and ill considered.

Having said that I do mike the Pivac/Jpnes style of genetal management and demeanour ... the talking is done on the pitch and the motivation and team ethic is evident.

Between all the typos, I think I can see what are you are trying to say, I would stay clear of genetal management personally in a public forum. :D

The Scarlets have improved each of the last 3 years, and it has been hard going. The foundation of a solid pack was built first when Easterby left, and the open play came later. What is the alternative currently for Wales and the WRU co-funded player pool... Newport? Cardiff play a very similar style to the Scarlets without a front 5...Nobody has idea what the Ospreys are doing....even Naj..

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:07 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
The two sides who have always attempted to play running rugby at club rugby are Bridgend and Llanelly (note spelling - that policy has been the trade mark of both clubs for many, many years).

Do you agree?

I'll look at any answers in the morning.

Bye for now.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:21 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
[

The Scarlets have improved each of the last 3 years, and it has been hard going. The foundation of a solid pack was built first when Easterby left, and the open play came later. What is the alternative currently for Wales and the WRU co-funded player pool... Newport? Cardiff play a very similar style to the Scarlets without a front 5...Nobody has idea what the Ospreys are doing....even Naj..

My problem with all this is that whatever rugby style or success any Region has is really irrelevant !

The Welsh Rugby set up isn't fit for purpose and the choice of a new Director of National Rugby is more fundamental than that.. The article stating the intent to involve Gatland and a potential work in harness between the new incumbent and Gatland suggests a continuation of a theme, I believe that we need radical change. It also states that the Regions have bought into it ....what the hell does that mean?

The whole aspect dosen't inspire confidence that the intention is revision and change......?

It certainly should!

As stated, just treating the National Coach position from just a Rugby point of view is ignoring the need for more radical integration in the preparation and integration of activities akin to the NZ pyramid.

I take your pint about typos, must try harder ;)

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:08 am
World XV Player

Photo of the week in french rugby press .. taken in good humour, photographed in Cardiff Market on match day by a french supporter ...

C'est le Rugby :thumbup:

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
[

My problem with all this is that whatever rugby style or success any Region has is really irrelevant !

The Welsh Rugby set up isn't fit for purpose and the choice of a new Director of National Rugby is more fundamental than that.. The article stating the intent to involve Gatland and a potential work in harness between the new incumbent and Gatland suggests a continuation of a theme, I believe that we need radical change. It also states that the Regions have bought into it ....what the hell does that mean?

The whole aspect dosen't inspire confidence that the intention is revision and change......?

It certainly should!

As stated, just treating the National Coach position from just a Rugby point of view is ignoring the need for more radical integration in the preparation and integration of activities akin to the NZ pyramid.

The bold piece is one of the strangest statements I have ever seen.

The ability of a region to be successful is vitally important in any system based on intelligence and fairness. It should motivate others to copy and improve, even in South Wales.

The simple act that one of our teams can succeed initially in the Pro 12/14 and then hopefully, the ECC, is a hard data point and cornerstone to build for the future. I am too far away from the local game to pass informed comment, but Blindside's anecdotes seem to have deep insight. The WRU has to force change, the game needs disruptive thinking and we need to be prepared to challenge the present and build for the future.

The fact that one of our teams can win shows that the potential is there, is it that we are just too stupid or stubborn to get on the same page. Consensus means sacrifice for the greater good.

Maybe lack of competent leadership is the issue? Does the current Chairman have a vision? Does he even communicate his plan, or just collect a large paycheck? Or is it all behind closed doors.

To enact deep change, you need to get the community in your corner. Having lots of private meetings and dinners does not get that, but makes for a nice life, with the WRU picking up the tab. ;)

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Keith L wrote:
i *fupping* love this continual reference to the Scarlets way and how Wales should adopt it, how short are peoples memories FFS, try 2005 people!

Yes I agree and makes discussion around playing a wider game difficult, as Scarlets have now trademarked running rugby

Also completely misses the complete non-performance of some of their forwards including a much-vaunted loose head

Yes 2005, we played the Ospreys way. It was good then and the players were great.
However, it is now 2017/2018 and the side winning and worth watching now is Scarlets and the way they play.
In 2005 Ospreys beat the Irish sides on their own turf. In 2017 Scarlets beat the Irish on their home turf.

I really think this apparent clamour for adopting Scarlets modus operandi is hasty and ill considered.

Having said that I do mike the Pivac/Jpnes style of genetal management and demeanour ... the talking is done on the pitch and the motivation and team ethic is evident.

Does it matter how long lasting the wave is? If the Scarlets are playing the best and have a team of Welsh players that can convert this to international matches, it surely makes sense to use this? As far as I can see, the Scotland game was the only one we tried this in and it worked. If it doesn't work, you try another route. It is all about having options and chosing the selection and the game to suit this. Sticking to one option and using conservative selections doesn't win longer term.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
[

It certainly should!

The ability of a region to be successful is vitally important in any system based on intelligence and fairness. It should motivate others to copy and improve, even in South Wales.

The simple act that one of our teams can succeed initially in the Pro 12/14 and then hopefully, the ECC, is a hard data point and cornerstone to build for the future. I am too far away from the local game to pass informed comment, but Blindside's anecdotes seem to have deep insight. The WRU has to force change, the game needs disruptive thinking and we need to be prepared to challenge the present and build for the future.

The fact that one of our teams can win shows that the potential is there, is it that we are just too stupid or stubborn to get on the same page. Consensus means sacrifice for the greater good.

Maybe lack of competent leadership is the issue? Does the current Chairman have a vision? Does he even communicate his plan, or just collect a large paycheck? Or is it all behind closed doors.

To enact deep change, you need to get the community in your corner. Having lots of private meetings and dinners does not get that, but makes for a nice life, with the WRU picking up the tab. ;)

I think that you have misunderstood my point! (see above)

It is irrelevant to the choice of the new Wales Director of Rugby!

This 'adopt Scarlets' is, imo, taking their current performance way out of context.

What is a lot more important is the sensible liaison between National and Regional coaches, not to create a normalised style but to be singing from a similar hymn sheet bottom and and top down!

Hope that helps ? ;)

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 pm
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Keith L wrote:

Does it matter how long lasting the wave is? If the Scarlets are playing the best and have a team of Welsh players that can convert this to international matches, it surely makes sense to use this? As far as I can see, the Scotland game was the only one we tried this in and it worked. If it doesn't work, you try another route. It is all about having options and chosing the selection and the game to suit this. Sticking to one option and using conservative selections doesn't win longer term.

Gatland was forced into change in NZ, it does look like he is reverting to type under pressure regards ambition. He listened to the players in NZ because he had to.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
[

It certainly should!

This 'adopt Scarlets' is, imo, taking their current performance way out of context.

What is a lot more important is the sensible liaison between National and Regional coaches, not to create a normalised style but to be singing from a similar hymn sheet bottom and and top down!

Hope that helps ? ;)

Yes I'm sure we all agree the Wales regional set-up is not fit for purpose
and a long term solution is necessary.

But we are talking here of the immediate future of the Wales team and
that the way we currently play needs to change.To beat top 10 world
teams regularly we usually will need to score 25 + points per match.
With our current defensive mindset that will not happen.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:33 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
[

It certainly should!

Hope that helps ? ;)

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

awaywardlad wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
[

It certainly should!

Hope that helps ? ;)

Why not do both?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:42 pm
World XV Player

awaywardlad wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
[

It certainly should!

Hope that helps ? ;)

I don't quite agree with you regarding the 25+ points. All we need to do is score 1 more point than a team to win. I accept that there is a balance between being overly defensive and providing the attack, but neither is mutually exclusive and a absolute blinder in defence in which you score 3 points to the opposition's 0 will win you a game. If you went hell for leather, I expect you could score loads more tries - but at what cost? Players out of position defensively, possibly giving away more penalties etc etc.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:43 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

TP

Of course we should do both but getting the "blazerati"
to change is neither easy nor quick. :(

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

What you do in attack is within your control off decent ball, so you can put in place a structure that gives you a pattern of play which is quite rigid or quite flexible. Gatland favoured comparative rigidity in his patterns of play which are less dependent on what the opposition do, than the newer approaches to the game. He favoured playing from touchline to touchline, to be honest, i don't know how much that has evolved. He certainly compromised with the Lions. The newer systems put in place multiple options, they are still extremely structured, but it is the structure that gives you the choice. They prefer to attack the post to give you options on either side (choice) and the ball carrier to have options inside outside and from deep, everyone will be working to provide options and run lines in the zones they cover. There are forwards in wide channels to provide support and to carry. They play what they see

With choice comes responsibility, if a player cannot make the right decisions for the right reasons then the more options you give him the more likely he is to make a mistake. The kind of skills necessary are often instinctual and is the reason there are no shortcuts to developing players able to do this. It takes years. If it is not ingrained from a young age, then when under pressure the player may revert to type, to bad habits.

In comparison defence is far more simplistic, you do not have the control, you respond, you have easier decisions and more basic responsibility, it is a numerical consideration to blitz or to drift etc.

As pointed out by the French coach who went to NZ, they are concerned with the ability of a player to make correct decisions and have the appropriate skills to carry those decisions out. We are more concerned with the physical potential and athleticism. Well both NH and SH are obviously concerned about both, but it is the emphasis placed on each that differs.

You can bring in the best coach in the world, however, if he does not have the players to make the correct decisions in the fractions of seconds available in international rugby, then they will be forced into playing a structure with fewer choices.

There is no secret formula for what NZ do, it is a progressive structure that produces players with excellent core skills, that make consistently good decisions in a pressurized environment.

You can be explained the concept of juggling but understanding it does not mean you can juggle, players may understand what the coach wants, but if they cant do it because the grounding is not there, then their understanding of it is irrelevant. No matter what they pay them, no matter what the business model is, if the structure of skill acquisition is not in place you won't produce enough players able to play the type of game NZ can play.

So it is a trade-off between play what you see and play what we planned. Gatland appears to be reverting to play what we planned :dontknow:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

DP

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next