It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
6N Wales v France (Sat 17.03.2018) 
World XV Player

Post Re: 6N Wales v France (Sat 17.03.2018)
Keith L wrote:
i *fupping* love this continual reference to the Scarlets way and how Wales should adopt it, how short are peoples memories FFS, try 2005 people!

Yes I agree and makes discussion around playing a wider game difficult, as Scarlets have now trademarked running rugby

Also completely misses the complete non performance of some of their forwards including a much vaunted loose head

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
i *fupping* love this continual reference to the Scarlets way and how Wales should adopt it, how short are peoples memories FFS, try 2005 people!

Showing both bias and ignorance in the same sentence...how Trumpish of you.. ;)

It took Pivac three years on a tight budget to produce the current team, which ironically, does play in a very similar way to Ruddock's 2005 team. The Scarlets as a team have yet to convert one Pro 12 successful season to the ECC and almost lost to Benetton at home in December in the ECC. They may never do so, but then neither did the Ospreys with all their internationals and Lions in the 2008-14 period.

It is time to take risks as the Gatland model is clearly past it sell by date, unless 3 or 4 new forwards appear overnight, and we do not have the Lions squad to pick from. So to have any chance in 2019, we will have to play the counterattack method, as we don't have the forwards to dominate possession.

It's not the Scarlets model, but both the All Blacks and Wallabies have used it to great effect. Please drop the bias, and recognize reality?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Keith L wrote:

Yes, top, short livved, Welsh Region performance is encouraging but not established and proven. It is often transient ...cue the Ospreys.

See also the stream relating to Gatlands potential successor on the subject.

However dire the Ospreys may be now, they were actually the most successful team in the Pro 12 before 2014 (Europe was always another matter) and most seasons have by some distance contributed the most players to Team Wales.

Naj

Rise up thine eyes and regard the scope of the subject

Br regressing to Osps previous example you are, imo, contradicting yourself with giving Pivac a chance.

By your comparison we could've ended up with Lyn Jones or one of the other Osps command in control of the National Game ;)

Welsh rugby needs a radical revision where the International game is the top of the pyramid.

In another relevant stream I tried to make the point that the NZ role model is their integrated infrastructure not just the ABs coach, a lot of the work is done before he comes into play.

Yes, and like I said in that thread, the main division in World Rugby is not really NH versus SH, but NZ versus everyone else, precisely because their overall system is far superior to anyone else's. More generally, whatever faults the 6N has, at least it is more enjoyable and competitive in the sense that (with the partial exception of Italy) neither the individual matches nor the overall winners are anything like set in stone. By contrast, the Rugby Championship is overwhelmingly monopolised by the All Blacks with only the rarest of exceptions.

So descend to the level where we are comfortable and entertained and effectively divorce the upper echelon in terms of aspirations? :scratch:

It is a case of being realistic. The only serious rivals in the past to the All Blacks were the Springboks, who nowadays for a multitude of both external and internal reasons are very much in decline, and tbh neither Ireland, England nor Australia - the three teams that sit immediately below the All Blacks in the World Rankings - have the players or the structures to long-term (as opposed to short-term) truly challenge them. My point about the 6N versus the RC is that, for the health of the Championship, it is better to have teams that are at least reasonably evenly-matched than to have one team constantly trampling on everyone else year after year.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
I agree with Blindsides view that Biggar is one of many considerations, maybe low down the list. But surely we can all agree that he has a certain style? Given that he offers a different type of game to our other 10s there must be room for him in our squad, either to start or come off the bench?

Another plus for him is his defence. He never shirks and he was the first man up on Bastareaud more than once yesterday.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I feel he will fall out of contention playing for the Saints and that disaster that surrounds that team.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:59 pm
World XV Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
I agree with Blindsides view that Biggar is one of many considerations, maybe low down the list. But surely we can all agree that he has a certain style? Given that he offers a different type of game to our other 10s there must be room for him in our squad, either to start or come off the bench?

Another plus for him is his defence. He never shirks and he was the first man up on Bastareaud more than once yesterday.

Yes, Wales handled Bastareaud quite well, although i still think he had a good game.

Ive never been a fan of the big guy, he IMO seemed a troubled soul who lacked application. Since his return to the French side he's has been excellent, showing leadership, skill and a focus that was previously lacking. I thought his attitude was inspirational Saturday.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
I feel he will fall out of contention playing for the Saints and that disaster that surrounds that team.

Indeed, the Ospreys beat them quite comfortably both home and away in December. Enough said.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Keith L wrote:

Yes I agree and makes discussion around playing a wider game difficult, as Scarlets have now trademarked running rugby

Also completely misses the complete non-performance of some of their forwards including a much-vaunted loose head

Yes 2005, we played the Ospreys way. It was good then and the players were great.
However, it is now 2017/2018 and the side winning and worth watching now is Scarlets and the way they play.
We adopted the Ospreys back then, it is time now to adopt the Scarlets.
In 2005 Ospreys beat the Irish sides on their own turf. In 2017 Scarlets beat the Irish on their home turf.
We cannot continue to live in 2005, the game has moved on.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Keith L wrote:

Also completely misses the complete non-performance of some of their forwards including a much-vaunted loose head

Yes 2005, we played the Ospreys way. It was good then and the players were great.
However, it is now 2017/2018 and the side winning and worth watching now is Scarlets and the way they play.
In 2005 Ospreys beat the Irish sides on their own turf. In 2017 Scarlets beat the Irish on their home turf.

Ospreys didn't why should Scarlets .... :scratch:

Scarlets crest pf the wave is recent ...How longlasting?

I really think this apparent clamour for adopting Scarlets modus operandi is hasty and ill considered.

Having said that I do mike the Pivac/Jpnes style of genetal management and demeanour ... the talking is done on the pitch and the motivation and team ethic is evident.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Keith L wrote:

I really think this apparent clamour for adopting Scarlets modus operandi is hasty and ill considered.

Having said that I do mike the Pivac/Jpnes style of genetal management and demeanour ... the talking is done on the pitch and the motivation and team ethic is evident.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:16 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Keith L wrote:

I really do not know what you are trying to say. I can recall a Wales starting 15 consisting of 13 Ospreys players. And, it worked.
What not 13 Scarlets players now, if it works?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Keith L wrote:

The Scarlets have demonstrated themselves to be head and shoulders above the other regions in the past two years.

Not a particularly hard job

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Keith L wrote:

The Scarlets have demonstrated themselves to be head and shoulders above the other regions in the past two years.

Not a particularly hard job

Yes and no. The Dragons are perennially useless, but on the other hand the Blues are looking quite strong after a very poor start to the season, while the Ospreys - however out of form they've been domestically - did better in Europe than anyone would've anticipated.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:07 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:

In fact, Howley has recently stated that the way the Sarlets play is the way that the Welsh coaching team have encouraged the regions to play. It's actuall Howlleyball. :D

Quote:
......The Scarlets and Ospreys went into the final round of group matches knowing victory would guarantee them a place in the quarter-finals, with the former playing the free-flowing, offloading game Wales aspire to. “We have encouraged that approach since coming back from New Zealand in 2016,” says Howley......

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ert-howley

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 am
World XV Player

The two sides who have always attempted to play running rugby at club rugby are Bridgend and Llanelly (note spelling - that policy has been the trade mark of both clubs for many, many years).

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:43 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next