It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Eddie Jones calls Wales a shit little country... 
International Player

Post Re: Eddie Jones calls Wales a shit little country...
wombles wrote:
... It is easy to get offended when we are "attacked", yet conveniently ignore our own actions and words when it suits our views and prejudices.

That's pretty much the English default position. :roll: It's part of EES (English Exceptualism Syndrome.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:40 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The lack of a proper seven has been highlighted, but the continued ignoring of the best flyhalf in England is criminal. I'm referring, of course, to Cipriani.
England has over 700000 registered players to choose from and Jones sticks with the mugs that were lent to him by the previous coach.
Jones is not a coach's backside.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:25 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Jones is a shit little coach. He is full of cr@p.
His loose forwards are past their sell by date as is his style of play.
He seems to be unable to depart too much from the previous coaches player selections which tells me he is completely out of his depth.
England repeatedly lost at the breakdown.

The worst bit is I could kinda accept it if our back row was genuinely the best we could put out but it really isn't. There are English 6's and 7's far better at the breakdown and yet there is something about the England job that has made successive coaches refuse to select a proper 7. I don't know what it is but every coach gets a hyper-conservative defence is all that matters mentality after being in the England job for any length of time and all fear selecting a player who could be genuinely world class but might have a few brainfarts over guaranteed ok.

England U20's at times play some lovely rugby. It can be a bit error strewn at times but the style is great to watch. The seniors? Not so much. It feels too much playing by numbers and statistics rather than any real knowledge and understanding of the game.

Although I haven't seen much U20 rugby recently, there are a couple of factors that need to be considered - firstly, defences aren't always as good, therefore you tend to see sone fantastic tries which suits out and out attacking players (which a 20 is possibly easier) who might score from their own half.

Secondly, in U20, you only have a limited group of players to chose from - ranging obvously no older than 20 and probably no younger than 18.

In senior rugby, players considered outstanding may get picked for the senior squad as young 17 or 18 in some instances (admitedely it is rare) up to as old as maybe 35. You therefore have a range and an option to pick any eliiblle player you want for senior (includong players who should be in a U20 squad). Therefore, in U20, the 'gamble' of picking a player come with greater restrictions. E.g. the option of picming an out an out openside at 7 rather than a blindside isn't as much of a consideration as tgis option is far more restricted.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:16 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Wales isn't that small

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:42 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Although I haven't seen much U20 rugby recently, there are a couple of factors that need to be considered - firstly, defences aren't always as good, therefore you tend to see sone fantastic tries which suits out and out attacking players (which a 20 is possibly easier) who might score from their own half.

Secondly, in U20, you only have a limited group of players to chose from - ranging obvously no older than 20 and probably no younger than 18.

In senior rugby, players considered outstanding may get picked for the senior squad as young 17 or 18 in some instances (admitedely it is rare) up to as old as maybe 35. You therefore have a range and an option to pick any eliiblle player you want for senior (includong players who should be in a U20 squad). Therefore, in U20, the 'gamble' of picking a player come with greater restrictions. E.g. the option of picming an out an out openside at 7 rather than a blindside isn't as much of a consideration as tgis option is far more restricted.

I know they don't directly compare but it's about creating a style of play. The U20's run onto the ball rather than taking it static, are quick to the breakdown, offload etc. These skills should only get better by senior level, not fall off completely.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
Who cares what the baldy headed goblin says, political correctness is trying to take away everyone's sense of humor, the media thinks we should all be shocked and outraged by this, I couldn't care less what he said, some of us can take a joke, lets have it right, thats all he was doing, avin a larf.

That's a very good point.

I can't say I agree with Eddie Jones but he shouldn't be made to apologise.

Sure, I think he is a twat but that shouldn't stop him from saying what he thinks.

Only way to get one back is for Ireland to beat them on the pitch. That's what they did yesterday. You could call it a motivational boost. It's a shame it wasn't Wales playing yesterday. We will have our return next year.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
Who cares what the baldy headed goblin says, political correctness is trying to take away everyone's sense of humor, the media thinks we should all be shocked and outraged by this, I couldn't care less what he said, some of us can take a joke, lets have it right, thats all he was doing, avin a larf.

That's a very good point.

I can't say I agree with Eddie Jones but he shouldn't be made to apologise.

Sure, I think he is a twat but that shouldn't stop him from saying what he thinks.

Only way to get one back is for Ireland to beat them on the pitch. That's what they did yesterday. You could call it a motivational boost. It's a shame it wasn't Wales playing yesterday. We will have our return next year.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
He seems to be unable to depart too much from the previous coaches player selections which tells me he is completely out of his depth.

:shock: You’re having a laugh bro. He’s easily one of the best coaches on the planet, and what makes him even more likable is the way he gets under people’s skin, it’s hilarious. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:29 am
Schools District Player

loosechange wrote:
BigRed wrote:

:shock: You’re having a laugh bro. He’s easily one of the best coaches on the planet, and what makes him even more likable is the way he gets under people’s skin, it’s hilarious. :D

Loose change, I agree he is a top coach. He took Oz to a WC final. It's all a wind up some of these comments

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:35 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

He certainly was a top class coach. Maybe he's getting a little long in the tooth, now?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 am
World XV Player

I don't have any problem really with what Eddie said, believe me I (we) have heard a lot worse over the years.
BUT, when it's from a coach of the opposition of a team you play every year, you think they could act better. Wondering why it has only surfaced now though??

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Albert Einstein

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

Hmmmm.

Perhaps "The Mouth" is conducting a revised exit strategy?

He has clearly identified what most people see at a glance.

England's elderly players need to be thinned out. Haskell is the exception, he is still full of fire and fury.

Coach Gatland showed the England elite players what a top coach and his assistants can do with a Lions squad and "The Mouth" doesn't measure up?

Playing slow flankers is not going to help England in their quest for another world cup win. Finding 3 or 4 would help.

To divert attention away from the lack of progress in developing new players exhibited by England's sagging fortunes in the 6N?

Here's something of interest to a coach looking for inspiration :-

http://www.jameshaskell.com/james-haskell-s-strength-and-power-workout

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
He certainly was a top class coach. Maybe he's getting a little long in the tooth, now?

You don’t lose all that class after 3 defeats, he’ll still guide England further than Wales at the WC next year imho.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:01 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

loosechange wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

You don’t lose all that class after 3 defeats, he’ll still guide England further than Wales at the WC next year imho.

Jones will be guiding Wales too? I guess the name fits ;)

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

And probably further than Ireland too, if history is any guide. ;)

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next