It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Wales Team for France 
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales Team for France
If Priestland was playing I might have watched.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:24 pm
Regional Player

Old Second Row wrote:
Evan Roberts wrote:
Gatland picks our strongest team so I am happy, this is an important match we need to win.

Never understood why so many in Wales hate Biggar so much, but we have had this before and each time he comes back into the side and shows his class.

Not a question of hating Biggar.
He's a class international 10 and if you're plan is to play Warrenball or similar then he's your man; if you want on the other hand to play a running game then perm any one from Anscombe / Patchell. The latter 2 lack the big match experience of Biggar and so for a big game like this against a resurgent France, with 2nd place on the line, as I see it Gats has gone for the low risk option.
May yet come off and in any event I'd expect to see Anscombe come on for the last 20 or so.

The option that least risks us losing is the best option. If Biggar (or any other professional 10) could not orchestrate a wide expansive game I would not want him starting for the Ospreys let alone Wales.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Its a squad not team game these days, he has a gameplan and the players to execute it, I like the team but like some others a couple have been unlucky to be dropped but you can only play 23 come match day!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:18 pm
thread ruining clique

If Biggar can break the habit of a lifetime and start trusting the players around him, I'll eat my words. However, if he reverts to type and does his Roy of the Rovers act, continually kicking high balls so he can chase them, leap in the air and look sexy for the cameras, then I won't be pleased.
He is a product of the zero creativity phase of both Wales and the Ospreys. He's done his job for the national team, and has put in some outstanding performances. But there are now better options, which is what we didn't have before.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:

Lol. That bad is it? What's it like on the dark side? :)

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 pm
World XV Player

Oh well back to what Gats knows best, No adventure, no innovation, happy for Navidi but is he the right choice against France.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 pm
Regional Player

France will probably fear Biggar more than Anscombe or Patchell; and the guy will come on to the field fresh and fit. He is a professional and must adjust his game according to the bosses instructions. This is probably the strongest team Wales have fielded in their final game for many years; there is a lot at stake, and I believe Wales will win handsomely.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The positive in all of this is that we now have real competition for places. The bench is strong and we have the likes of Warburton, Ball and Priestland to come back from injury. Add in players like Josh Adams, Owen Watkins, Rhys Patchell, James Davies, Rhys Webb and we look a lot stronger than a lot of us thought.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I await the judgement of Bouchieplops.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Young un. I think you mean Bouchychops.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I knew what I meant oh Uncle of the Forum.

Guess who the Grandad is?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:

Lol. That bad is it? What's it like on the dark side? :)

Calm

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:48 pm
World XV Player

Fids, I'd be devastated if I missed the game, this is likely to be a cracker buddy!!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:52 pm
World XV Player

When there was nothing on it (cept money) I think it was right to 'try out', but remember, even though we can not win the championship, this game decides if we finish above England.

NO, not an 'as long as we beat the English' post, but does give tremendous motivational value to the run in to the world cup year

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
There is more strength-in-depth in the sense that drop-off in quality between first/second/third choices doesn't seem to be as dramatic as a few years ago. The question is whether we are talking about very good players of a similar level in each position or merely average ones.

You do really come up with some beauties :D

The issue is that if there has been a big drop in the first team standard (which there has been), this in part accounts for the second team looking only relatively less weak.

Which, in a roundabout way, is actually my point - the gap between first and second choices may be smaller than in the past, but that isn't necessarily a good thing if the first choices are not so good in the first place.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next