It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Wales best back 3 
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales best back 3
Bouch wrote:
Being humiliated by a real wing seemed to upset the Welsh boy.

His vicious attack was a bit out of character though and his failure to get on the field again after his stupidity might have taught him a lesson.

Might.

Way off the mark here Bouchy....he has previous and had to learn to curb his "temper"

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 am
World XV Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
seabass wrote:
Lets face it North Halfpenny and liam are our best back 3 bye a mile. Halfpenny is on form he is class

Totally agree. It is not even a discussion in my opinion.

x2

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Keep saying it, but Halfpenny’s kicking is worth 10-15 points per game. Why on earth would we not want that?
If there was an outstanding alternative it might be different. Sanjay has had two big chances to put his hand up, and blown both.

I don't know if he gifts us an extra 10-15 per game. Sure, I agree he is our best kicker but this needs to be countered against:

1) kicks he gets that other kickers would also get
2) Tries we may score from penalties to touch, that we wouldn't think about if we knew Halfpenny could kick for goal.
3) Tries we may score from open play if we had a more attacking fullback.
4) Whether a more attacking fullback would push us into the opponents half more preventing them from scoring.

I have no idea on the answers above, but I don't think it is straightforward.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Keep saying it, but Halfpenny’s kicking is worth 10-15 points per game. Why on earth would we not want that?
If there was an outstanding alternative it might be different. Sanjay has had two big chances to put his hand up, and blown both.

I don't know if he gifts us an extra 10-15 per game. Sure, I agree he is our best kicker but this needs to be countered against:

1) kicks he gets that other kickers would also get
2) Tries we may score from penalties to touch, that we wouldn't think about if we knew Halfpenny could kick for goal.
3) Tries we may score from open play if we had a more attacking fullback.
4) Whether a more attacking fullback would push us into the opponents half more preventing them from scoring.

I have no idea on the answers above, but I don't think it is straightforward.

Yep

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

But then you also have to take into account the effect Halfpenny's presence has on the opposition. When they know they can't give away cheap penalties anywhere in their own half, it makes them think twice about dropping the scrum, etc.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 pm
World XV Player

I wouldn't rule out Hallam Amos in the back three against France. He does very little wrong has good pace and is very good at turning defence into attack. At this point in time, I think he may be a better option than Liam. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Liam is sited and probably won't be available for the French game.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

As well as his 'Actual worth' Halfpenny is a deterrent anywhere in their own half. Just the extra little doubt when thinking shall I? or will I get pinged. Or the echo in the mind of the coach saying 'remember, anything in out half and that **** Halfpenny will kick it' and the coach reminding you the following day

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Assuming he's not cited, and assuming he can redeem himself, Liam should be given one more chance at FB.
Biggar can kick them from half way too. We'll need him too, plenty of pens when the F play. Anscome on bench.
It's not going to be open. It's going to be a head to head slug match, right down the middle.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
But then you also have to take into account the effect Halfpenny's presence has on the opposition. When they know they can't give away cheap penalties anywhere in their own half, it makes them think twice about dropping the scrum, etc.

Absolutely.

But there is there is the added complication of if we had a more attacking fullback, would they then kick away less possession, possibly giving away more penalties in their own half anyway.

Like i say, I have no answer to these questions, I suspect even Gatland and so on could make an educated guess but not provide a full answer.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

His vicious attack was a bit out of character though and his failure to get on the field again after his stupidity might have taught him a lesson.

Might.

Way off the mark here Bouchy....he has previous and had to learn to curb his "temper"

I can remember 1 incident - does that make him a serial offender?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:34 pm
thread ruining clique

Cymru am byth wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Absolutely.

But there is there is the added complication of if we had a more attacking fullback, would they then kick away less possession, possibly giving away more penalties in their own half anyway.

Like i say, I have no answer to these questions, I suspect even Gatland and so on could make an educated guess but not provide a full answer.

I think it depends largely on the type of game and the players available. Like, against England I remain convinced we could have won it had Halfpenny been playing. Two long kicks at goal turned down and one missed. We lost by six points. In a tight, arm wrestle type game you need every point you can get and a solid defense.
Picking Liam for Italy was probably the correct call, given we were after lots of tries, although he let himself down with an act of stupidity and ended up costing more than he contributed.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:45 pm
World XV Player

Despite his talent Liam Williams hasnt had that many top games for Wales

People moan about the lack of attacking flair from halfpenny but you always get a performance

I would prefer an attacking full back but a defensive one we can rely on is probably better than a talented player who doesn’t perform for Wales

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Plus, for all his lack of attacking ability, I believe Halfers is our joint top try scorer?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm
Club Player

Bouch wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Might.

I can remember 1 incident - does that make him a serial offender?

More than just a few incidents....most of them cheap shots.
He's the sort of prk who, when he's your mate he is a laugh untill he has to be pulled off someone...or someone pulled off him..
When he's not your mate, hes just a nasty prk.

translated into rugby terms....he's exiting, decisive, ballsy....but also petulant, belligerent, disrespectful, petty....like farrell

Sometimes hes just what we need.....sometimes he's the last thing we need ....wouldnt change him for the world.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

2/3 years ago, I felt that Liam was permanently a Red Card waiting to happen. Good player but .....

Seems to have calmed down a lot but obviously still prone to the odd brain fart. Not a luxury any team can really afford especially at international level. Possibly, just possibly, a shade unfortunate on Sunday. Another day, another ref and it might just have been a penalty.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail