It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Wales best back 3 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 62167
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Bouch wrote:
Being humiliated by a real wing seemed to upset the Welsh boy.

His vicious attack was a bit out of character though and his failure to get on the field again after his stupidity might have taught him a lesson.

Might.


Way off the mark here Bouchy....he has previous and had to learn to curb his "temper"

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:02 pm
Posts: 8460
Location: South Wales
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Stockholm Blue wrote:
seabass wrote:
Lets face it North Halfpenny and liam are our best back 3 bye a mile. Halfpenny is on form he is class


Totally agree. It is not even a discussion in my opinion.

x2


_________________
The secret of happiness is freedom; and the secret of freedom, courage.
Thucydides


Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 am
Profile
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7766
Post Re: Wales best back 3
spinbreath wrote:
Keep saying it, but Halfpenny’s kicking is worth 10-15 points per game. Why on earth would we not want that?
If there was an outstanding alternative it might be different. Sanjay has had two big chances to put his hand up, and blown both.


I don't know if he gifts us an extra 10-15 per game. Sure, I agree he is our best kicker but this needs to be countered against:

1) kicks he gets that other kickers would also get
2) Tries we may score from penalties to touch, that we wouldn't think about if we knew Halfpenny could kick for goal.
3) Tries we may score from open play if we had a more attacking fullback.
4) Whether a more attacking fullback would push us into the opponents half more preventing them from scoring.

I have no idea on the answers above, but I don't think it is straightforward.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11956
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Cymru am byth wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Keep saying it, but Halfpenny’s kicking is worth 10-15 points per game. Why on earth would we not want that?
If there was an outstanding alternative it might be different. Sanjay has had two big chances to put his hand up, and blown both.


I don't know if he gifts us an extra 10-15 per game. Sure, I agree he is our best kicker but this needs to be countered against:

1) kicks he gets that other kickers would also get
2) Tries we may score from penalties to touch, that we wouldn't think about if we knew Halfpenny could kick for goal.
3) Tries we may score from open play if we had a more attacking fullback.
4) Whether a more attacking fullback would push us into the opponents half more preventing them from scoring.

I have no idea on the answers above, but I don't think it is straightforward.



Yep

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 19725
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: Wales best back 3
But then you also have to take into account the effect Halfpenny's presence has on the opposition. When they know they can't give away cheap penalties anywhere in their own half, it makes them think twice about dropping the scrum, etc.

_________________
Wubba dubba dub dub


Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 6740
Post Re: Wales best back 3
I wouldn't rule out Hallam Amos in the back three against France. He does very little wrong has good pace and is very good at turning defence into attack. At this point in time, I think he may be a better option than Liam. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Liam is sited and probably won't be available for the French game.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 5005
Post Re: Wales best back 3
As well as his 'Actual worth' Halfpenny is a deterrent anywhere in their own half. Just the extra little doubt when thinking shall I? or will I get pinged. Or the echo in the mind of the coach saying 'remember, anything in out half and that **** Halfpenny will kick it' and the coach reminding you the following day

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:41 pm
Posts: 60
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Assuming he's not cited, and assuming he can redeem himself, Liam should be given one more chance at FB.
Biggar can kick them from half way too. We'll need him too, plenty of pens when the F play. Anscome on bench.
It's not going to be open. It's going to be a head to head slug match, right down the middle.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7766
Post Re: Wales best back 3
spinbreath wrote:
But then you also have to take into account the effect Halfpenny's presence has on the opposition. When they know they can't give away cheap penalties anywhere in their own half, it makes them think twice about dropping the scrum, etc.


Absolutely.

But there is there is the added complication of if we had a more attacking fullback, would they then kick away less possession, possibly giving away more penalties in their own half anyway.

Like i say, I have no answer to these questions, I suspect even Gatland and so on could make an educated guess but not provide a full answer.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45506
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Being humiliated by a real wing seemed to upset the Welsh boy.

His vicious attack was a bit out of character though and his failure to get on the field again after his stupidity might have taught him a lesson.

Might.


Way off the mark here Bouchy....he has previous and had to learn to curb his "temper"


I can remember 1 incident - does that make him a serial offender?


Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:34 pm
Profile
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 19725
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Cymru am byth wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
But then you also have to take into account the effect Halfpenny's presence has on the opposition. When they know they can't give away cheap penalties anywhere in their own half, it makes them think twice about dropping the scrum, etc.


Absolutely.

But there is there is the added complication of if we had a more attacking fullback, would they then kick away less possession, possibly giving away more penalties in their own half anyway.

Like i say, I have no answer to these questions, I suspect even Gatland and so on could make an educated guess but not provide a full answer.

I think it depends largely on the type of game and the players available. Like, against England I remain convinced we could have won it had Halfpenny been playing. Two long kicks at goal turned down and one missed. We lost by six points. In a tight, arm wrestle type game you need every point you can get and a solid defense.
Picking Liam for Italy was probably the correct call, given we were after lots of tries, although he let himself down with an act of stupidity and ended up costing more than he contributed.

_________________
Wubba dubba dub dub


Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:45 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3608
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Despite his talent Liam Williams hasnt had that many top games for Wales

People moan about the lack of attacking flair from halfpenny but you always get a performance

I would prefer an attacking full back but a defensive one we can rely on is probably better than a talented player who doesn’t perform for Wales


Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 19725
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Plus, for all his lack of attacking ability, I believe Halfers is our joint top try scorer?

_________________
Wubba dubba dub dub


Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm
Profile
Club Player

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 243
Post Re: Wales best back 3
Bouch wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Being humiliated by a real wing seemed to upset the Welsh boy.

His vicious attack was a bit out of character though and his failure to get on the field again after his stupidity might have taught him a lesson.

Might.


Way off the mark here Bouchy....he has previous and had to learn to curb his "temper"


I can remember 1 incident - does that make him a serial offender?



More than just a few incidents....most of them cheap shots.
He's the sort of prk who, when he's your mate he is a laugh untill he has to be pulled off someone...or someone pulled off him..
When he's not your mate, hes just a nasty prk.

translated into rugby terms....he's exiting, decisive, ballsy....but also petulant, belligerent, disrespectful, petty....like farrell

Sometimes hes just what we need.....sometimes he's the last thing we need ....wouldnt change him for the world.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:41 pm
Posts: 1098
Post Re: Wales best back 3
2/3 years ago, I felt that Liam was permanently a Red Card waiting to happen. Good player but .....

Seems to have calmed down a lot but obviously still prone to the odd brain fart. Not a luxury any team can really afford especially at international level. Possibly, just possibly, a shade unfortunate on Sunday. Another day, another ref and it might just have been a penalty.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Troron and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: