It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:29 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Not so Super Saturday 2018 
Author Message
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Posts: 722
Post Not so Super Saturday 2018
Well apart for the Irish who are tilting for the slam, so fair dos to them. But last round of six nations games are all pretty meaningless. 2nd-5th matters not and Italy are once again keeping the wooden spoon.

Like others i was an advocate for the BP system, but now i am not so sure. 2 for a win, 1 for a draw and the dreaded nil pois for a loss was better, and really did keep the six nations alive.

One cannot wonder come tournament end where we are as NH rugby compared to SH. Ireland look like the only nation that will at least make the semis at next years world cup, but England, Wales, Scotland, France and of course Italy are no great shakes in how they have all played. What will help is the South Africa and Australia are not playing well, and Argentina seem to not be making the strides i hoped they woukd when they entered into the rugby championship.

I started this tournament with great hopes, but as it has progressed only Ireland have stood up. Can anyone find some positives of the tournament apart from Ireland?


Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 62166
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
Ireland were the best but marginally so.

One can argue that they were lucky to beat France, but no other games were close.

I wonder with Warburton, JD, Ball and others back in the team, whether Wales can improve.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm
Posts: 1820
Location: Stockholm
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
Ireland have ruined the tournament really, without them it would be very exciting.


Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 6437
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
If we had played under the old points system Super Saturday would still be an anti climax as Ireland would already have won the title.
Overall fairly happy with how Wales have done. We are improving our squad depth. We still have plenty of work to do though if we are to serious contenders in 18 months time.


Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:33 pm
Posts: 87
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
It’s still a long way out to RWC. Before the six nations started England were been touted as the greatest team ever. They didn’t become bad overnight.

Wales have finally got their regions competitive in Europe and this will feed into the national side, confidence is a big thing and with 18 months to go they’ve plenty of time to start gaining it.

Scotland are in a much better position than 18 months out from the last World Cup they are starting to look like a very dangerous team that neither oz or New Zealand would fancy facing.

We are looking good at the moment but it’s a long way out I hope we can continue the rich vein of form.

I actually disagree with you and think aparts from France and Italy the other 4 have never looked stronger going in to a rwc


Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 3006
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
dragonking7 wrote:
It’s still a long way out to RWC. Before the six nations started England were been touted as the greatest team ever. They didn’t become bad overnight.

Wales have finally got their regions competitive in Europe and this will feed into the national side, confidence is a big thing and with 18 months to go they’ve plenty of time to start gaining it.

Scotland are in a much better position than 18 months out from the last World Cup they are starting to look like a very dangerous team that neither oz or New Zealand would fancy facing.

We are looking good at the moment but it’s a long way out I hope we can continue the rich vein of form.

I actually disagree with you and think aparts from France and Italy the other 4 have never looked stronger going in to a rwc


Interesting how you mention the Welsh regions improving in Europe. As hideously out-of-form as the Ospreys have been, they still almost beat Saracens both home and away; Scarlets have a home QF for the first time in eleven years; Blues topped the Challenge Cup's Pool of Death.

Scotland have improved considerably, but they do still have a soft underbelly, not-so-wonderful forwards and an away record only marginally better than Italy's.

Ireland and England in theory do look very strong, but can the former at last fix their peculiar World Cup hoodoo? And have the latter already peaked, if the last few 6N matches are anything to go by?


Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45506
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
wombles wrote:
Well apart for the Irish who are tilting for the slam, so fair dos to them. But last round of six nations games are all pretty meaningless. 2nd-5th matters not and Italy are once again keeping the wooden spoon.

Like others i was an advocate for the BP system, but now i am not so sure. 2 for a win, 1 for a draw and the dreaded nil pois for a loss was better, and really did keep the six nations alive.

One cannot wonder come tournament end where we are as NH rugby compared to SH. Ireland look like the only nation that will at least make the semis at next years world cup, but England, Wales, Scotland, France and of course Italy are no great shakes in how they have all played. What will help is the South Africa and Australia are not playing well, and Argentina seem to not be making the strides i hoped they woukd when they entered into the rugby championship.

I started this tournament with great hopes, but as it has progressed only Ireland have stood up. Can anyone find some positives of the tournament apart from Ireland?


Um, er, ah, well, England have lost twice so far.

England gave away 16 penalties against the winners on Saturday.

Playing at home seems to give lesser sides an unfair advantage.

Some of England's better players at the end of the game were grizzled veterans who won't appear in Japan.

It's looking good for Ireland and Wales.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 am
Profile
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Posts: 722
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
It is looking good for Ireland, however Wales, England, Scotland and France all have fragility that teams can and will expose at the World Cup.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7765
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
wombles wrote:
Well apart for the Irish who are tilting for the slam, so fair dos to them. But last round of six nations games are all pretty meaningless. 2nd-5th matters not and Italy are once again keeping the wooden spoon.

Like others i was an advocate for the BP system, but now i am not so sure. 2 for a win, 1 for a draw and the dreaded nil pois for a loss was better, and really did keep the six nations alive.

One cannot wonder come tournament end where we are as NH rugby compared to SH. Ireland look like the only nation that will at least make the semis at next years world cup, but England, Wales, Scotland, France and of course Italy are no great shakes in how they have all played. What will help is the South Africa and Australia are not playing well, and Argentina seem to not be making the strides i hoped they woukd when they entered into the rugby championship.

I started this tournament with great hopes, but as it has progressed only Ireland have stood up. Can anyone find some positives of the tournament apart from Ireland?


The tournament has been ok I think. It has had somr interesting results. Not a classic from my point of view but I supect Ireland will be very happy with it.

Given that Wales and England won't win it will result in this year being played down.


Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: on a big rock in the Irish Sea
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
wombles wrote:
Well apart for the Irish who are tilting for the slam, so fair dos to them. But last round of six nations games are all pretty meaningless. 2nd-5th matters not and Italy are once again keeping the wooden spoon.

Like others i was an advocate for the BP system, but now i am not so sure. 2 for a win, 1 for a draw and the dreaded nil pois for a loss was better, and really did keep the six nations alive.

One cannot wonder come tournament end where we are as NH rugby compared to SH. Ireland look like the only nation that will at least make the semis at next years world cup, but England, Wales, Scotland, France and of course Italy are no great shakes in how they have all played. What will help is the South Africa and Australia are not playing well, and Argentina seem to not be making the strides i hoped they woukd when they entered into the rugby championship.

I started this tournament with great hopes, but as it has progressed only Ireland have stood up. Can anyone find some positives of the tournament apart from Ireland?


Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm
Posts: 368
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
Why is it being widely said that Wales need to gain a bonus point against France to finish runners up in the 6 Nations.
A straight win will give them four points and a tally of 15 points; leaving only England who can challenge them. But Wales have a + 35 points advantage against England's + 19 and will need to score four tries and make good their inferior points margin against Ireland to become runners up. In my opinion this is just not going to happen.

However if Scotland beat Italy, England beat Ireland and France beat Wales, Wales would end the season bottom but one. Plenty to play for as I read it !!!


Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm
Posts: 368
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
Surprised that my above post has not received any reactions..........


Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1238
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
Bonus points in the 6nations are an abomination. We have them because the Unions whored themselves out to the sponsors and TV.
The title can and has been decided on whether the winners played Italy (or another weak/unsuccessful team) early or late in the tournament.
If there is a draw at the top of the table the result between those teams decides which is the winner. If they can't be separated then they are joint winners.


Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:56 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1238
Post Re: Not so Super Saturday 2018
JOHNWALES wrote:
Surprised that my above post has not received any reactions..........

Both England and France winning is certainly possible.
Scotland winning is most probable.
I think draws with or without bonus points can also decide placings.


Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: