It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The problem with Bigger?? 
World XV Player

Post Re: The problem with Bigger??
Troron wrote:
The real problem with Biggar is how much he whines to the ref, it's really irritating to watch. He's a pretty solid player but the constant throwing his arms out and shouting at the ref is just pathetic.

He is better now than when he was younger. I remember him having a stampy fit at one ref. Looked comical, but embarrassing.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
The real problem with Biggar is how much he whines to the ref, it's really irritating to watch. He's a pretty solid player but the constant throwing his arms out and shouting at the ref is just pathetic.

At least he's never been sent off for abusing the ref

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Troron wrote:

It is only a matter of time though.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Troron wrote:

It is only a matter of time though.

Nah, the ref would feel like he slapped a kid. :shock:

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Why would you even condsider Biggar for the 2019 RWC, don't Wales want to win it ?

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I would agree..

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:03 pm
World XV Player

youvbeensalmoed wrote:
Why would you even condsider Biggar for the 2019 RWC, don't Wales want to win it ?

He can play against Uruguay, and the first/second-choice fly-halves can play in the other games. :D

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Dan Biggar perfecting the running about with a fridge on your back style! ;)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Black Dragon wrote:
Dan Biggar perfecting the running about with a fridge on your back style! ;)

Aye, and he kicks penalties dead as well.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 am
International Player

Could have sworn that, two or three months ago, Biggar was said to be far and away the best 10 in Wales .... :dontknow:

Fickle blighters are Welsh supporters. :D

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:19 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

x_ile wrote:
Could have sworn that, two or three months ago, Biggar was said to be far and away the best 10 in Wales .... :dontknow:

In many ways, Biggar could still be considered the best 10 in Wales but :D outside of him you need the Dr Bob type players playing to rule (a game plan).
Wales are moving away from that style of play and are bringing on players who play what is in front of them rather than a game plan.
Hence 10's like Patchell and Anscombe and even Dan Jones are better suited.
France, Ireland and England are now playing the way we used to play and doing it reasonably successfully I must say. However, I think that that style of play will not make any inroads against SH teams like the AB's, Boks (a full-strength Bok team chosen on merit) or Oz.
Wayne Pivac and Stephen Jones have proved conclusively that there is another way and I think that Gats has got the message. Not sure if he is brave enough to go the whole way just yet.
His team selections for the France game will be an indicator of just how far he has distanced himself from 'Gatland ball'. :dontknow:
He may yet surprise us all. :D

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
x_ile wrote:

In many ways, Biggar could still be considered the best 10 in Wales but :D outside of him you need the Dr Bob type players playing to rule (a game plan).
Wales are moving away from that style of play and are bringing on players who play what is in front of them rather than a game plan.
Hence 10's like Patchell and Anscombe and even Dan Jones are better suited.
France, Ireland and England are now playing the way we used to play and doing it reasonably successfully I must say. However, I think that that style of play will not make any inroads against SH teams like the AB's, Boks (a full-strength Bok team chosen on merit) or Oz.
Wayne Pivac and Stephen Jones have proved conclusively that there is another way and I think that Gats has got the message. Not sure if he is brave enough to go the whole way just yet.
His team selections for the France game will be an indicator of just how far he has distanced himself from 'Gatland ball'. :dontknow:
He may yet surprise us all. :D

If Gatland picks Biggar, it would wrong for so many reasons, but he may do so.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:25 pm
World XV Player

x_ile wrote:

You may want to narrow the description considerably

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Biggar performed very well on the Lions tour under different systems. The system Wales are trying to play is what changes the approach to the game, Wales have attempted to move away from "Gatland Ball", as the Lions did, the Lions moved towards a 1 3 3 1 formation which is a zonal system of using your forward, other systems exist like the more conservative 2 4 2 and there are even system 1 3 2 2 being adopted by some SH teams. Some teams even move between system. Obviously, certain players fit the systems you wish to implement. In my opinion, Biggar is a very good distributor who as a great understanding of the game.

Scarlets have without doubt implemented a zonal system that has led to their fluency, but that system is dependent on you winning the ball consistently to give you the foundation to implement your strategy. Some things never change, you must win the ball. Scarlets have, and when you they do their forwards don't need to run around they work in a channel around 20 yds wide. Welsh forward play has been disappointing.

How many times did Owen Watkin get the ball against Italy from expansive play? You can only implement attacking strategies when you have the ball, if you have 35% of the ball then you may only have it 15 or 20% of the time in areas where you would attack with ball in hand. Yes there are situations where you must play off the cuff, turnovers and kick returns. We have used three 10's in this competition and all have had their problems.

The speed and consistency of recycled ball over the gain line is what these systems are supposed to provide by stretching the defence and providing multiple options, moving away from one and at best two pass rugby. It is why the skilful 12 is back in vogue, it is why your 15 is often used by some teams as a joint first receiver from midfield situations. However for it to work you must still be able to get close to parity in first phase and breakdown.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Biggar performed very well on the Lions tour under different systems. The system Wales are trying to play is what changes the approach to the game, Wales have attempted to move away from "Gatland Ball", as the Lions did, the Lions moved towards a 1 3 3 1 formation which is a zonal system of using your forward, other systems exist like the more conservative 2 4 2 and there are even system 1 3 2 2 being adopted by some SH teams. Some teams even move between system. Obviously, certain players fit the systems you wish to implement. In my opinion, Biggar is a very good distributor who as a great understanding of the game.

Scarlets have without doubt implemented a zonal system that has led to their fluency, but that system is dependent on you winning the ball consistently to give you the foundation to implement your strategy. Some things never change, you must win the ball. Scarlets have, and when you they do their forwards don't need to run around they work in a channel around 20 yds wide. Welsh forward play has been disappointing.

How many times did Owen Watkin get the ball against Italy from expansive play? You can only implement attacking strategies when you have the ball, if you have 35% of the ball then you may only have it 15 or 20% of the time in areas where you would attack with ball in hand. Yes there are situations where you must play off the cuff, turnovers and kick returns. We have used three 10's in this competition and all have had their problems.

The speed and consistency of recycled ball over the gain line is what these systems are supposed to provide by stretching the defence and providing multiple options, moving away from one and at best two pass rugby. It is why the skilful 12 is back in vogue, it is why your 15 is often used by some teams as a joint first receiver from midfield situations. However for it to work you must still be able to get close to parity in first phase and breakdown.

Very insightful, appreciated :thumbup:

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:33 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next