It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
France v England 
World XV Player

Post Re: France v England
The English club game isn’t great at producing out and out 7s either and lots of sides pick 6.5s. There are a few about but as we know in wales (wales are the masters of this) pinning all your hopes on a player who doesn’t have many caps or is untested can often lead to over expectations and poor performance

There may be something in this being a post lions year... England rightly had the largest representation and look a bit tired

Lancaster also left the squad in good nick and got rid of some of the lads on tour element prevalent under Johnson. How jones responds will be interesting

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 am
Profile E-mail
Primary Schools Player

youvbeensalmoed wrote:
England have not performed well since loosing Billy Vinopula to injury, can one player be that important ?

or maybe its the fact the english lions players got no rest after the tour and had to play from the start of the season so maybe they are just burnt out . the irish lads had six weeks off

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Fatigue of our England boys will have its part, but that would not excuse the one dimensional and rather ineffective display from our backs on attack and front foot ball. Over the course of the tournament that has concerned me as we have become narrower, innacurate, limited and predictable. We play far to far behind the gain line, and any team with a good up and drift defence can easily manage us at present. We have the problem with players getting themselves isolated at the breakdown and turned over, that needs looking at closely and rectifying. Also the age old problem of collapsed mauls, offside, holding on or not releasing will continue to dog us. Also we are starting to look over coached in regards to our style and pattern. Number one teams play heads up rugby, will take note of the challenge that the oppo brings,, and will adjust their style accordingly, i am far from convinced we will do that. 'Trust your processes' is an oft used coaching phrase, but a good teams processes flex and adapt to achieve the desired goal, they are not rigid as Englands seem to be.

My suspicion is that Ireland this weekend will be to powerful for us, and that we have to much to correct and too little time to do so. Chances are we will be nullified in attack once more, and Ireland will slowly squeeze us out of the game. If we are lucky we may only concede 12 penalties as our discipline is not there, and the likelihood of getting turned over is high.

Eddie Jones was wrong last week to say we are only 2-3% off our best, but if he is the analyst i think he is he will know that.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Troron wrote:
Black Dragon wrote:
Bit disappointed with Ian Robertson’s comment about it being “a humiliation” for England.

No they lost a Six National game away to France, who on a player by player basis are probably comparable to England and playing at home!

Surely there shouldn’t have been an expectation that they were going to win, hope yes.

It's not just the fact we loss that makes it a humiliation, it's the fact we again got dominated at the breakdown and did absolutely nothing to fix it again that made it humiliating. A top international team should not be that bad at the breakdown nor concede this many penalties even for one game. To do it for multiple games now is embarrassing.

It was "humiliating" Robertson said not embarrassing.
"A humiliating day for English rugby... They did not look like the second best team in the world today!"
I haven't read or heard all he said but from the above it looks like he thinks the natural order (England beating France) was upset and that was what he thought was "humiliating".

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
It was "humiliating" Robertson said not embarrassing.
"A humiliating day for English rugby... They did not look like the second best team in the world today!"
I haven't read or heard all he said but from the above it looks like he thinks the natural order (England beating France) was upset and that was what he thought was "humiliating".

Semantics, makes no difference. It was humiliating and embarrassing not just because they lost but because of how they lost. That was not a good French team, they were making errors all over the park and their lineout was a shambles but our penalty count and once again not addressing the problem of the breakdown despite months of it being an issue is what made it so bad. All we can hope is that Jones learns but I am not happy that a supposed great coach ignored this issue for so long and has only even accepted it is a problem when we are on course for our worst ever 6N finish. That's just not good enough. We don't even know if he is going to actually try to fix it. I predict our back row will be Robshaw, Haskell and Simmonds. That's an improvement but still possibly the 2nd worst back row after the Italian one. Hartley will waltz straight back in if he is over his injury, Cole will still start despite being dead weight, Care will start etc. Armand should be in the back row but I very strongly suspect neither he nor LCD will be in the game as Jones yet again goes back to his favourites.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

A tad unfair?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 03856.html

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Classic Eddie ploy but I don't see how it is very different from a position coach with a laptop.
Whether it succeeds or not depends on the intelligence and attitudes of the players

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:31 pm
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Sack Eddie, The campaign starts here

It's gaining momentum

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9