It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:26 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread. 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: North of England
Post Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Teams when available.

Frank Hadden says Scotland are back in the title race, on this BBC article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43195819

British Broadcasting Corporation 2018.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean


Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: North of England
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Tony Ward is confident of Irish victory, on this BBC article:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43197582

British Broadcasting Corporation 2018.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I was as confident, particularly whenever Jones will have the ball; he really keeps them moving very nicely indeed.

It's likely we'll field Aki and Ringrose in the centre, so the latter will need every ounce of his undoubted pace.

Sean


Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 3854
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
I think you will win Sean. Home advantage will help. Ireland by 10.


Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: North of England
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
buglet wrote:
I think you will win Sean. Home advantage will help. Ireland by 10.


That would be nice buglet.. :thumbup: , but remember it's Barnes with the whistle for this one and we always seem to struggle with his interpretations of ruck-time.

That said, who can forget Henshaw's error in Cardiff last year, so we do occasionally dig ourselves into a hole.

Sean


Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 3854
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
I think with the better teams, home advantage counts for a lot. Barnes is a funny one I agree!

Scotland will be competitive but Ireland will have enough up front. Scottish back line will be dangerous throughout.


Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 pm
Posts: 239
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
I'd love to see the Jocks win this one.


Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: North of England
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
I'd love to see the Jocks win this one.


Well I correctly predicted that Scotland would beat England, so we'll see.

Sean


Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30834
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
If Scotland really want to dine at the top table, then they have to start winning away from Murrayfield! Its OK having a very good Autumn, but when it comes to the crunch they buckle away from home! They have the potential to win in Dublin, but Ireland are battle hardened and will win out quite comfortably in the end I feel.


Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:01 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: North of England
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Keith L wrote:
If Scotland really want to dine at the top table, then they have to start winning away from Murrayfield! Its OK having a very good Autumn, but when it comes to the crunch they buckle away from home! They have the potential to win in Dublin, but Ireland are battle hardened and will win out quite comfortably in the end I feel.


Could well be the case Keith and if that's what happens, it will be the forwards who need to suppress Scotland, in similar fashion to the damage we handed out, at the breakdown to Wales. Quick ball and use Aki in close proximity to the line.

If we can do that (and keep Jones and Hogg in Check, plus shift the scoreboard at regular intervals), then I'll feel a lot more confident as it goes on.

Sean


Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30834
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
Keith L wrote:
If Scotland really want to dine at the top table, then they have to start winning away from Murrayfield! Its OK having a very good Autumn, but when it comes to the crunch they buckle away from home! They have the potential to win in Dublin, but Ireland are battle hardened and will win out quite comfortably in the end I feel.


Could well be the case Keith and if that's what happens, it will be the forwards who need to suppress Scotland, in similar fashion to the damage we handed out, at the breakdown to Wales. Quick ball and use Aki in close proximity to the line.

If we can do that (and keep Jones and Hogg in Check, plus shift the scoreboard at regular intervals), then I'll feel a lot more confident as it goes on.

Sean


Sean mun, just use the Wales blueprint from Cardiff ;) :D


Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:14 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm
Posts: 4708
Location: North of England
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Keith L wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
Keith L wrote:
If Scotland really want to dine at the top table, then they have to start winning away from Murrayfield! Its OK having a very good Autumn, but when it comes to the crunch they buckle away from home! They have the potential to win in Dublin, but Ireland are battle hardened and will win out quite comfortably in the end I feel.


Could well be the case Keith and if that's what happens, it will be the forwards who need to suppress Scotland, in similar fashion to the damage we handed out, at the breakdown to Wales. Quick ball and use Aki in close proximity to the line.

If we can do that (and keep Jones and Hogg in Check, plus shift the scoreboard at regular intervals), then I'll feel a lot more confident as it goes on.

Sean


Sean mun, just use the Wales blueprint from Cardiff ;) :D


There's a thought.... :D

Sean


Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:35 pm
Posts: 17082
Location: Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Ireland will do precisely what we did in Cardiff. The sole difference may be that Ireland will beat our winning margin! That's not for one minute disparaging the Scots, I'd love them to end-up doing what they managed over England, they deserve a reward for what they've had to claw their way back from but............ I still think all of us are underestimating just how good this Irish team is! I honestly don't think, Ireland whether home or away, have anything to fear from any team, Kiwi's included!

Scotland may just play a similar game to us and perhaps, do it better given enough possession? That could then make it a toss-up at the death! Heart would love to see a Scottish win, my head tells me that Ireland just have too many big guns and could, in the final quarter, run riot! Still hard to understand just why though, in the 80th minute of us against the Irish, we were a mere 3 points behind and looking for a score......... That, despite some 70% Irish possession and position!! Home advantage appears to be a massive factor in the 6N these days?

_________________
"I have to say, I find that offensive toward (insert cause/belief)"

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!


Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:02 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:00 pm
Posts: 10185
Location: Toronto Ontario
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
I think Ireland will have too much for them, but it could be a cracker if the Jockanese bring their A game, but good travellers they aint - much like France of old.

_________________
Sitting in the dock of Scumtanamo Bay


Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:12 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 3006
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Since the 6N was created in 2000, Scotland have only won away six times - Italy in 2002, 2006, 2014 and 2016; Wales in 2002 and Ireland in 2010. Their last win in France was in 1999 and England in 1983!


Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 10:29 pm
Posts: 6090
Location: Lincoln
Post Re: Ireland vs Scotland. Build up and match thread.
Ireland for me because they are at home. They should have been out of sight v us had Jonny Sexton had his penalty kicking boots on. I think it might be close, I think Scotland will play, like that's a no brainer, but the Irish half backs are the best in the competition by a country mile and will pull the strings. Keith Earls deserves a mention, he's on fire, no idea where his form has come from but for me he's the winger of the competition as well.

_________________
'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)


Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: