It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 8:51 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Fickle 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4950
Post Re: Fickle
youvbeensalmoed wrote:
I think if Buggar goes back in at 10 your going back to dull warrenball.


Would have won yesterday though :D

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 am
Posts: 3854
Post Re: Fickle
youvbeensalmoed wrote:
I think if Buggar goes back in at 10 your going back to dull warrenball.


Not necessarily and you would need Roberts back in the side to play the way we have in previous years. In games like yesterday and the the upcoming one in Dublin, starting Biggar and bringing either Patchell or Anscombe on in the latter stages might be the way to go. I just think Biggar brings a bit more steadiness, a big more physicality and a big more of an aerial presence and those are key attributes in games like that.


Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 10:29 pm
Posts: 6089
Location: Lincoln
Post Re: Fickle
spinbreath wrote:
So, in Parkes we unearth the best twelve we've had in years, and the immediate plan is to drop him in favour of playing someone out of position.
Anyone else got any genius ideas?


Yes, me....My genius idea is to stick with the same side again though not sure about our 10 because Gareth Anscombe, he of the Welsh blood, had a blinder last 30

_________________
'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)


Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7729
Post Re: Fickle
The idea of Gatland ball is interesting though.

A team that contained players like Roberts, Phillips, North and Cutbert playing at their peak was always going to be tempting to put big players out. Given that Gatland resisted putting Biggar forward, chosing to play Priestland through some bad form suggests that Biggar wasn't a key component of Gatlandball.

I think Roberts and Phillips were Gatland ball, and like it or not, the players replacing them haven't been as effective.


Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4950
Post Re: Fickle
Cymru am byth wrote:
The idea of Gatland ball is interesting though.

A team that contained players like Roberts, Phillips, North and Cutbert playing at their peak was always going to be tempting to put big players out. Given that Gatland resisted putting Biggar forward, chosing to play Priestland through some bad form suggests that Biggar wasn't a key component of Gatlandball.

I think Roberts and Phillips were Gatland ball, and like it or not, the players replacing them haven't been as effective.



Same goes for Shingler and Navedi I suppose. Through them or around then, as long as you get to the other side.

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:00 pm
Posts: 10185
Location: Toronto Ontario
Post Re: Fickle
spinbreath wrote:
So, in Parkes we unearth the best twelve we've had in years, and the immediate plan is to drop him in favour of playing someone out of position.
Anyone else got any genius ideas?


Really???, perhaps Dr Bob might disagree, also, not convinced by Parkes at Intl. level, not the complete footballer that is required (see Farrell).

_________________
Sitting in the dock of Scumtanamo Bay


Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35540
Post Re: Fickle
I'm surprised how deeply Uncle Eddie's comments have affected everyone. Lots of inaccuracies being posted about Patchell who in my opinion didn't have half as bad a game as many are suggesting.

First, he didn't drop that ball just before the first try - Watson jumped and got his hand to it and palmed it back. Good play by Watson as opposed to Patchell bottling it.

Second, the decision to go for touch as opposed to kicking for goal was AWJ's decision not RP's so again, no hint of him bottling it.

Third, had the TMO allowed Anscombe's try which was created by RP's kick, then RP would have been the hero of the hour for having the vision etc etc.

Fourth (and maybe this should have been first) in the first 10 minutes, the England defence targeted him and were consistently offside in order to get to him early, Ford in particular putting in a no arms tackle which should have resulted in a penalty. The ref to his credit did pick up the offsides.

He did nothing special but then again he had very limited ball in the 50 or so minutes that he was on the pitch. Nothing special but nothing particularly poor either.

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4950
Post Re: Fickle
ICEverything wrote:
I'm surprised how deeply Uncle Eddie's comments have affected everyone. Lots of inaccuracies being posted about Patchell who in my opinion didn't have half as bad a game as many are suggesting.

First, he didn't drop that ball just before the first try - Watson jumped and got his hand to it and palmed it back. Good play by Watson as opposed to Patchell bottling it.

Second, the decision to go for touch as opposed to kicking for goal was AWJ's decision not RP's so again, no hint of him bottling it.

Third, had the TMO allowed Anscombe's try which was created by RP's kick, then RP would have been the hero of the hour for having the vision etc etc.

Fourth (and maybe this should have been first) in the first 10 minutes, the England defence targeted him and were consistently offside in order to get to him early, Ford in particular putting in a no arms tackle which should have resulted in a penalty. The ref to his credit did pick up the offsides.

He did nothing special but then again he had very limited ball in the 50 or so minutes that he was on the pitch. Nothing special but nothing particularly poor either.



Same here. I don't think he was mentally frail, he was 'physically adjusted'. In addition, as I said in another thread, it was very wet and not a day for accurate fast ball, or indeed for rapid changes of direction to avoid 'adjustment'.

I am a Biggar fan though, so if fit would like him to start v Ireland but keep Patch in the playing side, either on the bench for when the game loosens up or in another position. Then again, I don't know who would be moved to make way for him if 1/2p and Sanjay are back, and North still available.

Damn, thats unusual, more players than places :D

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45415
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Fickle
Cymru am byth wrote:
Some of the posts on here criticising Patchell are pretty harsh. He didn't have his greatest game, which was last week.

He has gone from hero to zero in 7 days. Anscombe has gone the opposite way. I don't buy that he bottled it, he was targetted.

He has now likely been relegated to a former 10 like pretty much every other 10 we ever had.

Maybe if we supported our players and allowed them a bad game we would see consistency. I cannot think of a single 10 over the last 20 years who hasn't had the same treatment.

Players deserve to be held to account but goldfish bowl for Patchell it seems.


The title needs to be corrected.

And Rhys Webb wasn't there to look after his 10.


Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 3750
Post Re: Fickle
Barry John had some bad games early on and Phil Bennett used to come in for much criticism, some of it justified before he found his greatness.

This is the way we are with our 10s. Neil Jenkins and Stephen Jones used to come in for some really unwarranted criticism.


Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7729
Post Re: Fickle
buglet wrote:
Barry John had some bad games early on and Phil Bennett used to come in for much criticism, some of it justified before he found his greatness.

This is the way we are with our 10s. Neil Jenkins and Stephen Jones used to come in for some really unwarranted criticism.


I grant you that, but all of those tens were given a chance. All became first choice after settling in.

We place too much pressure on our tens who very rarely live up to our expectations.


Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 3750
Post Re: Fickle
Cymru am byth wrote:
buglet wrote:
Barry John had some bad games early on and Phil Bennett used to come in for much criticism, some of it justified before he found his greatness.

This is the way we are with our 10s. Neil Jenkins and Stephen Jones used to come in for some really unwarranted criticism.


I grant you that, but all of those tens were given a chance. All became first choice after settling in.

We place too much pressure on our tens who very rarely live up to our expectations.


We always create these "conflicts" too: Bennett vs Bevan; Jenkins vs Arwel Thomas; Jones vs Hook. I sense there may be another coming!


Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2949
Post Re: Fickle
Why does Welsh rugby romanticise fly-halves so much?


Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:14 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45415
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Fickle
najbritcol wrote:
Why does Welsh rugby romanticise fly-halves so much?


Think Quarterback.


Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:07 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 13813
Post Re: Fickle
najbritcol wrote:
Why does Welsh rugby romanticise fly-halves so much?

It's a DNA type thing ?

_________________
As a scummer once said 'we dont produce anything and live meaningless lives doing meaningless jobs just to payback money that never really existed in the first place'.


Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: