It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Gatland Furious 
World XV Player

Post Re: Gatland Furious
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -try-wales

Eddie Jones slams World Rugby for saying Anscombe’s try for Wales should have stood

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Love him or hate him, think it's a try or not, WR contradicting a ref/TMO decision has now happened twice and both times it has caused more harm than good. I think WR can intervene if the case is severe enough to warrant disciplinary action or even a referee being removed entirely from international duty (as Walsh was) but just for incorrect decisions, it undermines the authority of the referee. I mean in the grand scheme of things that decision was no worse than a whole host of other wrong decisions, see the Wales Scotland game as an example, yet it has been treated like it was the deciding decision in a world cup final rather than at most a 4 point loss early in a game early in a yearly tournament.

Ultimately the precedent is set, how many coaches are going to start going to WR after decisions go against their team? Are we going to see complaints after every game or challenges for every 50/50 try? I said elsewhere I was in favour of putting time limits on TMO decisions and accepting some will be incorrect. If this carries on I can see TMOs taking much longer to make a decision and refs refusing to call anything that isn't blindingly obvious.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Love him or hate him, think it's a try or not, WR contradicting a ref/TMO decision has now happened twice and both times it has caused more harm than good. I think WR can intervene if the case is severe enough to warrant disciplinary action or even a referee being removed entirely from international duty (as Walsh was) but just for incorrect decisions, it undermines the authority of the referee. I mean in the grand scheme of things that decision was no worse than a whole host of other wrong decisions, see the Wales Scotland game as an example, yet it has been treated like it was the deciding decision in a world cup final rather than at most a 4 point loss early in a game early in a yearly tournament.

Ultimately the precedent is set, how many coaches are going to start going to WR after decisions go against their team? Are we going to see complaints after every game or challenges for every 50/50 try? I said elsewhere I was in favour of putting time limits on TMO decisions and accepting some will be incorrect. If this carries on I can see TMOs taking much longer to make a decision and refs refusing to call anything that isn't blindingly obvious.

Troron I think there is a bigger picture, which is why I think that WR spoke out.
If this decision goes uncriticised it brings into question many decisions where there has been simultaneous hand, ball, grass contact. It has always been given to the attacking team and WR speaking out are wanting that to continue.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:02 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:

How many caps do you have in the "moaning for England"xv?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:

You can address the point made it be ignored, I'm not going to waste time on another stupid slagging match of your creation.

Big red, plenty of decisions have gone wrong and not got this treatment. As an example 2015 faletau took the ball out from the front row of a Welsh scrum being marched backwards and ended up creating a try instead of conceding a scrum penalty. You could just as easily argue WR should have commented on that, otherwise where is the consistency? Is deciding which should be commented on and which won't going to be completely arbitrary? Worse, is it going to be related to how much it is complained about post match? Neither are exactly good directions to go.

If this decision is challenged for a relatively unimportant decision then what case can be made for denying others who want to do the same? Shall the Scots demand the WR comment on the bonus point try in the game against Wales or Wales demand comment on the try denied before that? Where do you draw the line?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

There was one a few years ago when wales won at twickenham and halfpenny stopped a try in the corner. Wales got the decision that day as I remember thinking if benefit of doubt went to the attacking team... in that example England should have been awarded a try

In reality England dominated most of that match. Hiding behind the try is actually counter productive as it paints a picture that everything was ok

Things which need looking at are...

lack of go forward - forwards and backs. England worked out if they smashed AWJ behind the gain line it really put us on the back foot and forced our half backs into tactical kicking. When they can be very dangerous going forward

The tactical kicking was generally abysmal and we were handed a lesson there

Centres - need to do a bit more that that lads

Slowing the ball down - brilliant plot from England to avoid contests at the breakdown by moving it quickly. Openside on wales side never got near it as ball continuously moved

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

This was hardly a challenging call to make that just needed a bit of explanation. I don't think you can start criticising the management for lodging a complaint about a TMO being unable to decipher between whether a ball was or wasn't pressed down onto the grass or not without any obstruction in the way.

We're presented with a player's hand clearly pressing the ball down onto the ground- probably the most basic rule within the game and the TMO has been unable to spot it.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

It's essentially gross incompetence.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

I would have preferred Jones to Gatland as Wales coach because I thought that he's a better suited as a coach for us.
But I'd have had to put up with the embarrassment of him being a bigger dickhead.

And we now know that it was a try.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

..apart from the knock-on :argue:

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:

Was he asked to make a judgement on the knock on?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:

I believe so yes, but I may be mistaken.

He got both calls wrong - knock for knock in my book, nothing to see here, move along.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm
International Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
soap wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:

I believe so yes, but I may be mistaken.

He got both calls wrong - knock for knock in my book, nothing to see here, move along.

I thought it was a - try or no try call. But like you I may be mistaken.

However if it was a - any reason why I can't award a try call then it was still a try because.
From the video evidence available, no one at the time whether they were officials, commentators or spectators saw the knock on. (It could only be detected when a magnified video was later examined)
Whereas everyone saw the "try" which has now been confirmed by the highest rugby authority as having been a try.

I'm non partisan when it comes to things like this even when Wales are at the sh1tty end of the stick. I've been arguing elsewhere on this site this week that Warburton's red card in the RWC was just and proper. Therefore I'm not going to go quietly if it's England that have brown fingers. :D

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Troron wrote:

I received a warning for this

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

In olden days the Ref would just have said I am not sure, so no try. Are we really better off with all the technology? I am less and less convinced.

Now they look at it for 20 minutes through the Hubble telescope and basically come to the same conclusion.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next