It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
team to play ireland 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11956
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: team to play ireland
spinbreath wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Not sure if Biggar is the right guy to lead the change in Wales style of play.
It's a little bit like backtracking to keep both ways open.
Biggar/Steff to me doesn't go.
Biggar/North, yes!
Patchell/Steff, yes!
I'm a little disappointed but still, let's get behind our boys and hope that Gatland knows better than us.
Well, better than me, anyway. :D

I think Biggar would have been ideal for England as well as Ireland, and Patch/Anscombe for the others. When it's going to be a tight arm wrestle with no space, you want someone used to keeping it tight. I don't think our open game has evolved yet to the point we can just expect to stick five tries on every team we play.



Patchel had/deserved the Jersey after Scotland but i think lost his grip on it after his England performance, Biggar is proven quality and i think he has got the passing game for an expansive Welsh system but lacks a little of the running threat. If Ireland strangle us and stop us playing, i think most people will blame the 10.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:55 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 19725
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: team to play ireland
Blindside wrote:


Patchel had/deserved the Jersey after Scotland but i think lost his grip on it after his England performance, Biggar is proven quality and i think he has got the passing game for an expansive Welsh system but lacks a little of the running threat. If Ireland strangle us and stop us playing, i think most people will blame the 10.

My concern with Biggar is his attempts to win the game on his own. How often does he stick a high ball up for himself to chase? It's fine every now and then, but it was becoming his main go to weapon.
Having said that, he's rarely played with a creative 12 outside him; for many years his only option was to set up the crash ball. If he gets as many opportunities to pick out passes as Patchell was getting, he may well prosper.

_________________
Wubba dubba dub dub


Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:04 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 13716
Post Re: team to play ireland
spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.


Must admit that Adams seems more at ease and positional.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 6740
Post Re: team to play ireland
Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.


Must admit that Adams seems more at ease and positional.

Adams was way out of position for Englands first try.


Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 13716
Post Re: team to play ireland
BigRed wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.


Must admit that Adams seems more at ease and positional.

Adams was way out of position for Englands first try.


Was that Adams or just England wise play?

Steff sometimes seems at 6's and 7's at this level and can lose his way with the ball...
Adams seems more direct and focussed.

Have to say ...probably just intuition at this stage and unfair to both.

An important one for Steff and I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 62167
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: team to play ireland
Keith L wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
In the past when the likes of North and Cuthbert haven't been playing well, Gatland has stuck with them, now he has Adams straining at the leash to come in, I hope he gets another chance soon.


Depending on how Sat goes, theres always Italy to give the rest of the boys a run out.


That does not tell us anything though

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm
Profile
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 19725
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: team to play ireland
BigRed wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.


Must admit that Adams seems more at ease and positional.

Adams was way out of position for Englands first try.

Agree. But so was the full back. We got caught napping for that one.

_________________
Wubba dubba dub dub


Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 4:59 pm
Posts: 7248
Post Re: team to play ireland
spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.


yes'

_________________
The main problem in marriage is that, for a man, sex is a hunger, if he is hungry and cant get to a fancy French restaurant, he'll go to a burger bar


Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 10986
Location: Plymouth
Post Re: team to play ireland
No qualms about the team, it's mostly what I would have done, but disappointed that Faletau is not fit.

Evans or Adams was always going to lose out, I think Evans is more dangerous and busy but doesn't know the game as well as Adams.

_________________
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way, then destiny unfolded, and I watched it slip away


Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45506
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: team to play ireland
We have riches in the backrow, which is just as well against Ireland.


Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:38 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45506
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: team to play ireland
Wales team:

Halfpenny (Scarlets); L Williams (Saracens), S Evans (Scarlets);
S Williams (Scarlets), Parkes (Scarlets),
Biggar (Ospreys), G Davies (Scarlets);

R Evans (Scarlets), Owens (Scarlets), Lee (Scarlets),
Hill (Dragons), AW Jones (Ospreys capt),
Shingler (Scarlets), Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Moriarty (Gloucester).

Replacements:

Dee (Dragons), W Jones (Scarlets), Francis (Exeter Chiefs), B Davies (Ospreys), Tipuric (Ospreys),
A Davies (Scarlets), Anscombe (Blues), North (Northampton).


Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35559
Post Re: team to play ireland
BigRed wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.


Must admit that Adams seems more at ease and positional.

Adams was way out of position for Englands first try.

Yes he was but that seems to have escaped the pundit analysis after the game. Maybe they just didn't want to blame anyone. Most of the good things that happened in the Scotland game revolved around Steff Evs. He is susceptible to the odd screw up in defence and I can see why people might favour Adams, but we're going to need to score tries against Ireland an for that - Steff's yer man.

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35559
Post Re: team to play ireland
Blindside wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Not sure if Biggar is the right guy to lead the change in Wales style of play.
It's a little bit like backtracking to keep both ways open.
Biggar/Steff to me doesn't go.
Biggar/North, yes!
Patchell/Steff, yes!
I'm a little disappointed but still, let's get behind our boys and hope that Gatland knows better than us.
Well, better than me, anyway. :D

I think Biggar would have been ideal for England as well as Ireland, and Patch/Anscombe for the others. When it's going to be a tight arm wrestle with no space, you want someone used to keeping it tight. I don't think our open game has evolved yet to the point we can just expect to stick five tries on every team we play.



Patchel had/deserved the Jersey after Scotland but i think lost his grip on it after his England performance, Biggar is proven quality and i think he has got the passing game for an expansive Welsh system but lacks a little of the running threat. If Ireland strangle us and stop us playing, I think most people will blame the 10.
I think Biggar was always going to get the jersey back once he was fit. Priestland would also be ahead of Patchell. Anscombe had such a good game when he came on that he deserved the subs bench.

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:49 am
Posts: 26153
Post Re: team to play ireland
CymraegJanner wrote:
No qualms about the team, it's mostly what I would have done, but disappointed that Faletau is not fit.

Evans or Adams was always going to lose out, I think Evans is more dangerous and busy but doesn't know the game as well as Adams.


good post.


Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Posts: 722
Post Re: team to play ireland
I can understand the rationale of the selection, it looks clearly like a territorial kick and chase game coming up, with a much narrower back line. I would expect most of the play to come through the forwards, with one-two phase back moves, one out runners and then kick. This certainly flies in the face of Wales more expansive game plan.

In the short term i can see why, it is to maximise the chance of getting a win, and very sensible to. In the long term it may not be as useful as Wales must continue to develop a wider game to be challenging again. However win on the weekend, and the style is justified (although may inhibit kong term development). Lose and the championship is gone, thus get rhys and anscombe et al back involved and continue to work on the more expansive play for more long term gains.


Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 am
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: