It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
team to play ireland 
World XV Player

Post Re: team to play ireland
spinbreath wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Not sure if Biggar is the right guy to lead the change in Wales style of play.
It's a little bit like backtracking to keep both ways open.
Biggar/Steff to me doesn't go.
Biggar/North, yes!
Patchell/Steff, yes!
I'm a little disappointed but still, let's get behind our boys and hope that Gatland knows better than us.
Well, better than me, anyway. :D

I think Biggar would have been ideal for England as well as Ireland, and Patch/Anscombe for the others. When it's going to be a tight arm wrestle with no space, you want someone used to keeping it tight. I don't think our open game has evolved yet to the point we can just expect to stick five tries on every team we play.

Patchel had/deserved the Jersey after Scotland but i think lost his grip on it after his England performance, Biggar is proven quality and i think he has got the passing game for an expansive Welsh system but lacks a little of the running threat. If Ireland strangle us and stop us playing, i think most people will blame the 10.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:55 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Blindside wrote:

Patchel had/deserved the Jersey after Scotland but i think lost his grip on it after his England performance, Biggar is proven quality and i think he has got the passing game for an expansive Welsh system but lacks a little of the running threat. If Ireland strangle us and stop us playing, i think most people will blame the 10.

My concern with Biggar is his attempts to win the game on his own. How often does he stick a high ball up for himself to chase? It's fine every now and then, but it was becoming his main go to weapon.
Having said that, he's rarely played with a creative 12 outside him; for many years his only option was to set up the crash ball. If he gets as many opportunities to pick out passes as Patchell was getting, he may well prosper.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:04 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.

Must admit that Adams seems more at ease and positional.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
IMO Adams looks far more the finished article than Evans. Might have been tempted to stick with him.

Adams was way out of position for Englands first try.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Was that Adams or just England wise play?

Steff sometimes seems at 6's and 7's at this level and can lose his way with the ball...
Adams seems more direct and focussed.

Have to say ...probably just intuition at this stage and unfair to both.

An important one for Steff and I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
In the past when the likes of North and Cuthbert haven't been playing well, Gatland has stuck with them, now he has Adams straining at the leash to come in, I hope he gets another chance soon.

Depending on how Sat goes, theres always Italy to give the rest of the boys a run out.

That does not tell us anything though

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm
thread ruining clique

BigRed wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Agree. But so was the full back. We got caught napping for that one.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:

yes'

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm
World XV Player

No qualms about the team, it's mostly what I would have done, but disappointed that Faletau is not fit.

Evans or Adams was always going to lose out, I think Evans is more dangerous and busy but doesn't know the game as well as Adams.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

We have riches in the backrow, which is just as well against Ireland.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:38 am
World XV Player

Wales team:

Halfpenny (Scarlets); L Williams (Saracens), S Evans (Scarlets);
S Williams (Scarlets), Parkes (Scarlets),
Biggar (Ospreys), G Davies (Scarlets);

R Evans (Scarlets), Owens (Scarlets), Lee (Scarlets),
Hill (Dragons), AW Jones (Ospreys capt),
Shingler (Scarlets), Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Moriarty (Gloucester).

Replacements:

Dee (Dragons), W Jones (Scarlets), Francis (Exeter Chiefs), B Davies (Ospreys), Tipuric (Ospreys),
A Davies (Scarlets), Anscombe (Blues), North (Northampton).

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 am
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Yes he was but that seems to have escaped the pundit analysis after the game. Maybe they just didn't want to blame anyone. Most of the good things that happened in the Scotland game revolved around Steff Evs. He is susceptible to the odd screw up in defence and I can see why people might favour Adams, but we're going to need to score tries against Ireland an for that - Steff's yer man.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 am
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Not sure if Biggar is the right guy to lead the change in Wales style of play.
It's a little bit like backtracking to keep both ways open.
Biggar/Steff to me doesn't go.
Biggar/North, yes!
Patchell/Steff, yes!
I'm a little disappointed but still, let's get behind our boys and hope that Gatland knows better than us.
Well, better than me, anyway. :D

I think Biggar would have been ideal for England as well as Ireland, and Patch/Anscombe for the others. When it's going to be a tight arm wrestle with no space, you want someone used to keeping it tight. I don't think our open game has evolved yet to the point we can just expect to stick five tries on every team we play.

Patchel had/deserved the Jersey after Scotland but i think lost his grip on it after his England performance, Biggar is proven quality and i think he has got the passing game for an expansive Welsh system but lacks a little of the running threat. If Ireland strangle us and stop us playing, I think most people will blame the 10.
I think Biggar was always going to get the jersey back once he was fit. Priestland would also be ahead of Patchell. Anscombe had such a good game when he came on that he deserved the subs bench.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 am
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
No qualms about the team, it's mostly what I would have done, but disappointed that Faletau is not fit.

Evans or Adams was always going to lose out, I think Evans is more dangerous and busy but doesn't know the game as well as Adams.

good post.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Player

I can understand the rationale of the selection, it looks clearly like a territorial kick and chase game coming up, with a much narrower back line. I would expect most of the play to come through the forwards, with one-two phase back moves, one out runners and then kick. This certainly flies in the face of Wales more expansive game plan.

In the short term i can see why, it is to maximise the chance of getting a win, and very sensible to. In the long term it may not be as useful as Wales must continue to develop a wider game to be challenging again. However win on the weekend, and the style is justified (although may inhibit kong term development). Lose and the championship is gone, thus get rhys and anscombe et al back involved and continue to work on the more expansive play for more long term gains.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next