It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm

French Squad 
World XV Player

Post French Squad
Squad to be announced today 14:00 hours

Heavily rumoured that Parra will return to favour.
He's been the best and certainly in game control for many tears but his face didn't fit, think he has 60+ caps.

There are excellent young 9s, Dupont , Serin etc but they lack International nous at the mo.
It is also rumoured that perghaps 19 year old Bdx 10, Jalabert, might be in the squad ....

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 am
Club Player

Post Re: French Squad
French Squad:

BASTAREAUD Mathieu (RC Toulon)
BELLEAU Anthony (RC Toulon)
BEN AROUS Eddy (Racing 92)
CAMARA Yacouba (Montpellier HR)
CHAT Camille (Racing 92)
CHAVANCY Henry (Racing 92)
DOUMAYROU Geoffrey (Stade Rochelais)
DULIN Brice (Racing 92)
DUPONT Antoine (Stade Toulousain)
FALL Benjamin (Montpellier HR)
GABRILLAGUES Paul (Stade Français Paris)
GOMES SA Cedate (Racing 92)
GOURDON Kevin (Stade Rochelais)
GUIRADO Guihem (RC Toulon)
ITURRIA Arthur (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
JALIBERT Matthieu (Union Bordeaux-Bègles)
JELONCH Anthony (Castres Olympique)
LAMBEY Félix (Lyon OU)
LAMERAT Rémi (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
LAURET Wenceslas (Racing 92)
MACALOU Sekou (Stade Français Paris)
MACHENAUD Maxime (Racing 92)
PALIS Geoffrey (Castres Olympique)
PARRA Morgan (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
POIROT Jefferson (Union Bordeaux-Bègles)
PRISO Dany (Stade Rochelais)
SLIMANI Rabah (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
TAULEIGNE Marco (Union Bordeaux-Bègles)
THOMAS Teddy (Racing 92)
TOLOFUA Christopher (Saracens RFC)
VAHAAMAHINA Sébastien (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
VAKATAWA Virimi (Racing 92)

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Squad picked, Parrra in and 19 year old Jalabert called up @ 10 with other young 10 Belleau.
Basta in the squad more in hope than in anger :D Iturria 2nd row in the squad but doubtful due to injury. Young prop Sa in squad and young 2nd row Lambey.

Notably Picamoles (replaced by Tauleigne) dropped and Trinh-Duc (Jalabert ) and young Serin (Machenaud) too. Fickou @ centre another omission

Forwards should be ok especially if Iturria fit.

The 3/4s decimated by injury : Nakaitaci, Rakka, Penaud, Huget, Fofana out and importantly No 1 10 Lopez.

I'm surprised that young loosehead Baille has been excluded ...he has returned from long injury but has been in fine form!

Mathieu Bastareaud (Toulon), Anthony Belleau (Toulon), Eddy Ben Arous (Racing 92), Yacouba Camara (Montpellier), Camille Chat (Racing 92), Henry Chavancy (Racing 92), Geoffrey Doumayrou (La Rochelle), Brice Dulin (Racing 92), Antoine Dupont (Toulouse), Benjamin Fall (Montpellier), Paul Gabrillagues (Stade Français), Cedate Gomes Sa (Racing 92), Kevin Gourdon (La Rochelle), Guilhem Guirado (Toulon), Arthur Iturria (Clermont), Matthieu Jalibert (UBB), Anthony Jelonch (Castres), Felix Lambey (LOU), Remi Lamerat (Clermont), Wenceslas Lauret (Racing 92), Sekou Macalou (Stade Français), Maxime Machenaud (Racing 92), Geoffrey Palis (Castres), Morgan Parra (Clermont), Jefferson Poirot (UBB), Dany Priso (La Rochelle), Rabah Slimani (Clermont), Marco Tauleigne (UBB), Teddy Thomas (Racing 92), Cristopher Tolofua (Saracens), Sebastien Vahaamahina (Clermont), Virimi Vakatawa (Racing 92).

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm
World XV Player

I see a Saracens member's been selected. I thought France didn't include exiles, as is the case with England and New Zealand?

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
I see a Saracens member's been selected. I thought France didn't include exiles, as is the case with England and New Zealand?

Not the case.
The player is Tolofua, hooker, who recently moved from Toulouse.

There aren't many french players elsewhere but, e.g, Picamoles played for France when he moved to Saints (since returned to Mop, bought out of his contrzct with them)

Some big names went to Eng in the past e.g Sellla (Saracens), Ibanez (Wasps), Castaignede etc ....Tolofua is a very strong hooker, especially in the loose but has a problem hitting the barn door in the lineout :D

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 am
World XV Player

Jalibert 19 year old 10 in squad, pretty well unknown ... some details :

EN BREF :
19 years old
1,8 0 m ; 79 kg.
Fly half
Club : Bordeaux-Bègles.
13 novembre 2016 : First game for the Espoirs (ie U23 developments team) v Pau.
1er avril 2017 : 1re sélection for U19 French team (France-Angleterre).
8 juin 2017 : 1re selection for U20 (France-Georgie, 54-0, il inscrit 1 essai et 6 transformations).
30 septembre 2017 : 1re game in Top 14 (Oyonnax-Bordeaux).
Currently under a development contract with the Espoirs ie not on a Pro contract until 2021
(that should change soon)

Note other 10 in squad is 21 year old Belleau who has had 25 Top14 matches and capped twice

The other promising 10 is 19 year old Romain Ntamack who is in the french elite squad on a development basis.
He is contracted to Toulouse.
Played very well in the last U20 W Cup and is being nursed in Top14 and Challenge Cup games

Good to see young development players BUT so many in the deep end ? Can be damaging, .... we will see, God only knows France needs a 10

Both Jalibert and Belleau are decent goal kickers but Parra will be the major goal kicker and he has v good stats.

Parra back at 9 but already capped 21 year old Antoine Dupont is the future and is already a top performer in Top14 and already capped, currently, perhaps, needs more experience at running a game. In general play he is excellent. Good to see him playing alongside Parra who has been excluded for political reasons for 2 years...already has 66 caps!!

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am
World XV Player

Good to see France picking some younger players and bringing them through

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Parra(9) and Dulin (FB) injured this weekend

Parra will be a big miss especially with such young 10s in the squad.
Serin of BDX called up in his place

Bonneval called up to replace Dulin.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:44 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Parra looked fine against the Ospreys. Was the injury noticed or picked up after the match?

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Parra looked fine against the Ospreys. Was the injury noticed or picked up after the match?

He had the knee injury in the first half of that match and was treated for it

If you watched the match he came back after half time with the knee heavily bandaged.

This was clear and commented on in the match commentary.

I think that he is just out for the Ireland match.

PS My comment on here during the match

Tony Panties wrote:
It'll be a big plus for Osps if Parra goes off

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:00 am
World XV Player

Oh OK, I only watched it from around the 50th minute onwards.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chat (hooker) out flu

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:40 pm
World XV Player

Jelonch out injured, replaced by Lapandry last capped in 2014
Uncapped Pellissié replaces Chat (flu)

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Any guesses on the starting 15 if no one else drops out? Who will be the french kicker? Trying to do my fantasy team and I haven't got a clue about that squad.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Any guesses on the starting 15 if no one else drops out? Who will be the french kicker? Trying to do my fantasy team and I haven't got a clue about that squad.

Fingal wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Fingal

Depends on the expected losses to the bubonic plague. :D

Parra would've been the kicker and he is International class.

Given choice of 10s that means 19 yr old Jalibert or 21 yr old Belleau

Belleau is very iffy, cue various recent matches eg Scarlets

Jalibert is iffy too and has missed some important kicks for Bdx

Serin (not international level kicker) replaces injured Parra but Dupont will probably be the 9 and he doesn't kick.
They could pick Macheneaud who has been returned to favour, playing well for Racing and I would rate him an average level International kicker.

Spedding could get 15 spot (Dulin injured) and he can kick some siege gun distances.

Missing injured 10 Lopez is a huge miss in every respect and that includes kicker.

Trinh-Duc has been dropped and he's not an international level kicker either.

-----------------

Kicking so important, it will be a liability?

------------

On the starting 15 I think forwards will hold their own whatever selection...Picamoles has been dropped.
Front row will be strong, back row could surprise...some interesting newcomers that showed up well in AIs, Maclou etc
Itturia is a good 2nd row. I think they'll pick Lambey for his first cap (missed his first cap due to injury in the AIs). He's light and versatile, imo maybe too much so for some of the experienced beasts around.

Backs will be impotent

Missing injured Parra (who had been wisely recalled), Lopez, Fofana, Raka (now qualified), Huget (recently back from injury but may have been dropped anyway), Dulin, Lacroix (recently selected but dangerously lightweight anyway) and dropped Trinh-Duc (lesser loss), Fickou (dropped) ....not sure if Vakatawa is fit?

Remainder ...young, inexoerienced and the 3/4s will be misfits in combo and inexperienced at half back. Back three open to usual comedy of errors.

In short, shambles.

New Coach that nobody really rates and Exetive subject to police raids and legal controversy which also includes the new jersey sponsor.

Having said that they'll probably win well against Irelznd, 'tis 01:30 am so this Old Codger is allowed that flight to fairy lznd :kermit:

Hope this helps I'm not going to put a team together, never was any good at jigsaws and this picture doesn't excite le at all

Best

Tel

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 am