It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Squad 
World XV Player

Post Re: Squad
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Tipuric does a little bit too much Haskell style ruck inspecting for my liking. But is surprisingly strong in contact.

If gatland is going to play running rugby then he should really commit to it all over the park. E.g you cant ask AWJ and Brad Davies to play like Ball and Beirne

Gatland is a contact man - so i think an ospreys Scarlets combo is in the cards with the odd player thrown in

What about Seb Davies instead of Bradley? I think AWJ is pretty good in the loose.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Tipuric does a little bit too much Haskell style ruck inspecting for my liking. But is surprisingly strong in contact.

If gatland is going to play running rugby then he should really commit to it all over the park. E.g you cant ask AWJ and Brad Davies to play like Ball and Beirne

Gatland is a contact man - so i think an ospreys Scarlets combo is in the cards with the odd player thrown in

What about Seb Davies instead of Bradley? I think AWJ is pretty good in the loose.

I agree, we have to play him now to be ready for 2019

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:

I agree, we have to play him now to be ready for 2019

Yes Seb Davies may be able to play that way. But will gatland do it or revert to type?

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Everyone speaks about evolving the Welsh game but has gone for the usual suspects at half back. I'm a big fan of webb and Biggar but Davies and Patchell have been playing them off the field since mid way thru last season. Patchell at 10 for me as he is at the centre of everything the scarlets do well.

My team,
Scarlets front row,
Ospreys second row,
Davies, Moriaty and shingler back row.

scarlets half backs,
watkin and the new Zealander centres and
evans, north and L.Williams back 3
Gatland wont pick this squad tho

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:49 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

BigRed wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Tips is great with ball in hand, but I don't think he's enough of a nuisance around the park to be our best 7. Cubby on the other hand, does what a 7 should, as well as offering an attacking threat.
Our backrow really does have some strength in depth these days.

Exactly what I was saying. What do you think of him as an 8 where he can have more ball in hand?
Tips, Shingler and Davies would be a major attacking combination.
But also not too shabby on defence. :D

Looks good on paper. Trouble is, whoever plays eight tends to get bogged down with a lot of tidying up work. Faletau is probably even more skillful in attack than Tips, but it's so rare we get to see him in space, as he's busy mopping up crap ball coming out of the set piece and trying to turn it into something positive.
Tips as an eight might work behind a very dominant pack, but as it is I'm not sure he has the discipline required to play there for Wales.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
BigRed wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Tips is great with ball in hand, but I don't think he's enough of a nuisance around the park to be our best 7. Cubby on the other hand, does what a 7 should, as well as offering an attacking threat.

Exactly what I was saying. What do you think of him as an 8 where he can have more ball in hand?

Looks good on paper. Trouble is, whoever plays eight tends to get bogged down with a lot of tidying up work. Faletau is probably even more skillful in attack than Tips, but it's so rare we get to see him in space, as he's busy mopping up crap ball coming out of the set piece and trying to turn it into something positive.
Tips as an eight might work behind a very dominant pack, but as it is I'm not sure he has the discipline required to play there for Wales.

As it stands and if everyone remains fit, I would guess that the back row will be Shingler, Tipuric and Moriarty, with Navidi or Ellis Jenkins benching due to their versatility. I still can't quite understand why Thomas Young is not in the squad, but there you go.

It's hard to guess at a team at the minute as there are so many injury doubts. Again, if all are fit I think we'll see a Scarlets front row (Evans, Owens, Lee), an Ospreys second row (AWJ and B Davies) and the back row I mentioned above. I think will see Webb and Biggar at half-back, Parkes and Scott Williams at centre, Liam Williams on one wing and then whoever is available from North, Amos and Steff Evans on the other (think the inclusion of Adams is more to have a look at him in the set up at this stage). The big question for me is whether the recent form of Patchell and Anscombe at full-back will see one of them picked there or whether Halfpenny will be picked if fit.

Looking forward to the first game against Scotland. I suppose they will go in as favourites, but I fancy us to win that one to be honest.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
BigRed wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

As it stands and if everyone remains fit, I would guess that the back row will be Shingler, Tipuric and Moriarty, with Navidi or Ellis Jenkins benching due to their versatility. I still can't quite understand why Thomas Young is not in the squad, but there you go.

It's hard to guess at a team at the minute as there are so many injury doubts. Again, if all are fit I think we'll see a Scarlets front row (Evans, Owens, Lee), an Ospreys second row (AWJ and B Davies) and the back row I mentioned above. I think will see Webb and Biggar at half-back, Parkes and Scott Williams at centre, Liam Williams on one wing and then whoever is available from North, Amos and Steff Evans on the other (think the inclusion of Adams is more to have a look at him in the set up at this stage). The big question for me is whether the recent form of Patchell and Anscombe at full-back will see one of them picked there or whether Halfpenny will be picked if fit.

Looking forward to the first game against Scotland. I suppose they will go in as favourites, but I fancy us to win that one to be honest.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think Ellis Jenkins would be the better 7, I would leave Moriarty at 6 and bring in Navidi at 8 Llanelli fromt row Os second row, and liam Williams at fullback, two Llanelli players at centre would definitely put Amos on one wing, webb and bigger.
I would drop 1/2P try and shake him up a little, I couldn't say who would replace him maybe Anscombe Steff Evans not the full package yet so North if he's fit for the other wing,

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 am
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
I think Ellis Jenkins would be the better 7, I would leave Moriarty at 6 and bring in Navidi at 8 Llanelli fromt row Os second row, and liam Williams at fullback, two Llanelli players at centre would definitely put Amos on one wing, webb and bigger.

I would drop 1/2P try and shake him up a little, I couldn't say who would replace him maybe Anscombe Steff Evans not the full package yet so North if he's fit for the other wing,

Do you think the replacements on the bench might be adequate?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:33 pm
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:

I would agree with most of that Dai. I would personally have Liam on one wing though and then see who is fit to play on the other one. North is first choice and I would say Amos is ahead of Steff Evans and Cuthbert after the autumn, with Adams as a bolter. I would go for either Patchell at Anscombe at full-back (it would be a case of seeing who shows up best in camp), as I think they could offer something different in attack, but think Halfpenny will play if fit.

I would go with:

Patchell / Anscombe, L Williams, S Williams, Parkes, (really depends on fitness), Biggar, Webb, Evans, Owens, Lee, B Davies, AWJ, Shingler, Tipuric, Moriarty

Bench - Smith, Dee, Francis, S Davies, Navidi / Jenkins, G Davies, O Williams, Halfpenny

As I said before, the Scots will come to Cardiff as favourites, but I do fancy us.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ions-rugby

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Actually, Rugby Vision gives Wales a 65% chance of winning the opening match, and predicts the margin of victory shall be 5 points. Whatever Wales' problems and Scotland's improvements, at the end of the day (a) the latter haven't won in Cardiff since 2002 and (b) Wales, both at club and country level, have won more silverware in one decade than Scotland have in three - three Six Nations championships (two with Grand Slams), three Pro 12 titles and a European Challenge Cup in one decade, versus two Five Nations championships (one with a Grand Slam) and one Pro 12 title in three decades.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Actually, Rugby Vision gives Wales a 65% chance of winning the opening match, and predicts the margin of victory shall be 5 points. Whatever Wales' problems and Scotland's improvements, at the end of the day (a) the latter haven't won in Cardiff since 2002 and (b) Wales, both at club and country level, have won more silverware in one decade than Scotland have in three - three Six Nations championships (two with Grand Slams), three Pro 12 titles and a European Challenge Cup in one decade, versus two Five Nations championships (one with a Grand Slam) and one Pro 12 title in three decades.

Cherry Ripe
Cherry Ripe
Ripe! I Cry
Fulls and
Fair Ones
Come And Buy

more selected stats ....

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:26 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Cherry Ripe
Cherry Ripe
Ripe! I Cry
Fulls and
Fair Ones
Come And Buy

more selected stats ....

Until now, Wales have been far more successful than Scotland. It is hardly even a matter of debate.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

And about as relevant as reading tea leaves

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next