It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Squad 
World XV Player

Post Re: Squad
Ha ha - probably why I’m the arm chair critic!

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Don’t ususally do this but my team

1. Evans
2. Baldwin
3. Lee
4. Brad Davies
5. AWJ
6. Navidi
7. Tipuric
8. Moriaty
9. Davies
10. Biggar
11. Liam Williams
12. Scot Williams
13. Parkes
14. North
15. Patchell

Went for Baldwin as think he is playing very well and Gareth Davies I thought was excellent against Bath

I think you have probably nailed the loose forwards correctly. Cawdor will not get in before Webb, not just yet anyway. I also think that Owen Williams will get the nod over Scott Williams. And Seb Davies over Bradley. And Baldwin will not get the nod before the Sheriff. Liam, North and Patchell look great as an attacking trio, Ha'penny not needed when you have Biggar at 10.
So I expect Ha'penny and the Priest on the bench in the event of Biggar having to go off. Scott Williams and Cawdor the other bench warmers if Gats goes for 4 backs and four forwards on the bench. If it is 5/3 and probably will be Scott will lose out.
Patchell visa vie Anscombe will be a tight call, Anscombe may just get the nod because of the Kiwi connection.
Other than that I agree with your call. :D

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:

1. Evans
2. Baldwin
3. Lee
4. Brad Davies
5. AWJ
6. Navidi
7. Tipuric
8. Moriaty
9. Davies
10. Biggar
11. Liam Williams
12. Scot Williams
13. Parkes
14. North
15. Patchell

Went for Baldwin as think he is playing very well and Gareth Davies I thought was excellent against Bath

I think you have probably nailed the loose forwards correctly. Cawdor will not get in before Webb, not just yet anyway. I also think that Owen Williams will get the nod over Scott Williams. And Seb Davies over Bradley. And Baldwin will not get the nod before the Sheriff. Liam, North and Patchell look great as an attacking trio, Ha'penny not needed when you have Biggar at 10.
So I expect Ha'penny and the Priest on the bench in the event of Biggar having to go off. Scott Williams and Cawdor the other bench warmers if Gats goes for 4 backs and four forwards on the bench. If it is 5/3 and probably will be Scott will lose out.
Patchell visa vie Anscombe will be a tight call, Anscombe may just get the nod because of the Kiwi connection.
Other than that I agree with your call. :D

Forwards on the bench: Wyn Jones, Baldwin, Francis, Bradley Davies and Cubby.
Nicky Smith, probably the most improved prop this season. I was impressed with his performance against Saracens. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I shall offer my disagreements, so you can come back at me:

1. Evans -Yup
2. Baldwin - He's a lion man, doing what he can
3. Lee - yup
4. Brad Davies - Already know what he can do. Need more locks
5. AWJ - Yup - We stand by our captain
6. Navidi - Better at seven
7. Tipuric - Already know what he can do. Let's try Cubby, who is, after all, only one year younger than Tips
8. Moriaty - Want to see him at six.
9. Davies Little to choose between him and Webb
10. Biggar - yup
11. Liam Williams - If you play him, has to be at fullback now 1/2d is out the frame
12. Scot Williams -would prefer to see Parkes at 12
13. Parkes - see above
14. North - Let's just hope he can recapture his best form
15. Patchell - Behind Anscombe in the utility back cover, IMO

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:

1. Evans -Yup
3. Lee - yup
7. Tipuric - Already know what he can do. Let's try Cubby, who is, after all, only one year younger than Tips
10. Biggar - yup
11. Liam Williams - If you play him, has to be at fullback now 1/2d is out the frame
13. Parkes - see above

I'm not a fan of the Sheriff but cannot see Gats breaking up a working trio. Owen Williams is how I see WAles going forward in the Wayne Pivac mode. Owen is also a great defender not scared to mix it. Gatland likes the left/right combination at 10/12 which is why I think that is probably the way Gats will go.
There are a lot of good combinations in the back three. Personally, I'd like to see Liam at 15 with Steff on the wing, but I don't think it is going to happen. Cuthbert may just get the nod as the Scots wings are big and powerful.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:

1. Evans -Yup
3. Lee - yup
10. Biggar - yup
13. Parkes - see above

Some interesting points but with gatlands penchant for earning the right to go wide I though he may favour the ospreys pack... but the Scarlets backs

Realistically wales won’t play like Scarlets as gatland won’t concede the muscle up front. He will probably load the front five and look to bring some legs on off the bench

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Wales squad for the 2018 Six Nations :-

Forwards:

Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues),

Rob Evans (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), James Davies (Scarlets), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets),

Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (capt),(Ospreys}, Justin Tipuric (Ospreys).

Elliot Dee (Dragons), Cory Hill (Dragons).

Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs),
Taulupe Faletau (Bath),
Ross Moriarty (Gloucester).

Backs:

Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues),

Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Steff Evans (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets),

Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Owen Watkin (Ospreys),

Hallam Amos (Dragons).

Rhys Priestland (Bath),
Owen Williams (Gloucester),
Josh Adams (Worcester Warriors),
George North (Northampton Saints),
Liam Williams (Saracens).

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 am
World XV Player

The squad is weakened because of the usual injuries but it's still very good.

When we beat Scotland, which we surely will, the best rugby tournament in the world will be showing all the enormous competitiveness, massive desire to win and superb exhibition of fighting spirit that it always has.

As for the players ....

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:37 am
World XV Player

Going back to the centre issue... I see gatland is considering north again at centre

I agree we need a bit more there

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 am
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

cant see an issue with the Scarlets centre partnership they seem to be doing well for the Scarlets.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Owen Williams and George North as a centre pairing, :dontknow:
In theory, it could be the start of a great Wales centre partnership.
I think it could work allowing a jinky player like Steff Evans to provide some X-factor to the Wales attack.
The combined attacking and defensive capability of Owen Williams with the power and attacking flair of North and the ever-dangerous Steff Evans to take advantage of the midfield power.
I hope then that James Davies gets the 7 nod with Cawdor at 9 and Steff, those three are ever present in any of the Scarlets attack. Shingler is also a nuisance at the breakdown but his speed getting around the park also adds to Scarlet's x-factor.
Depends on a lot of Gatland's thinking about the development of a team for the RWC. What sort of game does he want to prepare Wales for? Tipuric and Navidi are confrontational players, whereas Shingler and Davies are really good ball players who link far better with backs.
A clue as to Gat's thinking is in the non-selection of Jaimie Roberts, but Cuthbert is still there? :D

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Owen Williams and George North as a centre pairing, :dontknow:
In theory, it could be the start of a great Wales centre partnership.
I think it could work allowing a jinky player like Steff Evans to provide some X-factor to the Wales attack.
The combined attacking and defensive capability of Owen Williams with the power and attacking flair of North and the ever-dangerous Steff Evans to take advantage of the midfield power.
I hope then that James Davies gets the 7 nod with Cawdor at 9 and Steff, those three are ever present in any of the Scarlets attack. Shingler is also a nuisance at the breakdown but his speed getting around the park also adds to Scarlet's x-factor.
Depends on a lot of Gatland's thinking about the development of a team for the RWC. What sort of game does he want to prepare Wales for? Tipuric and Navidi are confrontational players, whereas Shingler and Davies are really good ball players who link far better with backs.
A clue as to Gat's thinking is in the non-selection of Jaimie Roberts, but Cuthbert is still there? :D

TBQH I think that Tipuric should revert to number 8, I think he is more suited to that role. IMHO he has never really made it as a 7 whereas he could make it at 8 as he will have more hands-on ball especially from the back of the scrum or lineout.
However, it appears as if Moriarty is next in line after Fatetau.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Tips is great with ball in hand, but I don't think he's enough of a nuisance around the park to be our best 7. Cubby on the other hand, does what a 7 should, as well as offering an attacking threat.
Our backrow really does have some strength in depth these days.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Tips is great with ball in hand, but I don't think he's enough of a nuisance around the park to be our best 7. Cubby on the other hand, does what a 7 should, as well as offering an attacking threat.
Our backrow really does have some strength in depth these days.

Exactly what I was saying. What do you think of him as an 8 where he can have more ball in hand?
Tips, Shingler and Davies would be a major attacking combination.
But also not too shabby on defence. :D

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tipuric does a little bit too much Haskell style ruck inspecting for my liking. But is surprisingly strong in contact.

If gatland is going to play running rugby then he should really commit to it all over the park. E.g you cant ask AWJ and Brad Davies to play like Ball and Beirne

Gatland is a contact man - so i think an ospreys Scarlets combo is in the cards with the odd player thrown in

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next