It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Gatland's Squad - Who is in and who may just lose out? 
World XV Player

Post Gatland's Squad - Who is in and who may just lose out?
Monday is 'D' day for the Wales squad announcement.
Who should be in and who do we want to see in?
For once I do not think that there are that many already pencilled in.
Ten maybe?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Post Re: Gatland's Squad - Who is in and who may just lose out?
If we lose against Scotland it could be a two horse race for the wooden spoon !! Wales best chance is to take ten points from the Scotland and Italy games, four from France and a losing bonus point against England and Ireland. We need to select a side that is expansive and capable of creating tries. Anything extra will be a bonus. I suggest Adams and Steff Evans on the wings and Liam Williams at full back.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
If we lose against Scotland it could be a two horse race for the wooden spoon !! Wales best chance is to take ten points from the Scotland and Italy games, four from France and a losing bonus point against England and Ireland. We need to select a side that is expansive and capable of creating tries. Anything extra will be a bonus. I suggest Adams and Steff Evans on the wings and Liam Williams at full back.

Scotland is arguably the best-attacking force in the 6N. If we beat them, we can win the 6N.
Scotland is coming to Cardiff with expectations of winning, rest assured.
NZ was very lucky to have beaten Scotland in the AI's. In my book, they were the better side on the day.
We underestimate them at our peril.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:

Scotland is arguably the best-attacking force in the 6N. If we beat them, we can win the 6N.
NZ was very lucky to have beaten Scotland in the AI's. In my book, they were the better side on the day.

Fair points BR, don't disagree with you or John? Has to be said though, I think it's great to see the Scots with a team that could be there, or thereabouts at the end of the 6N? Cast your mind back to the 60's/70's and it was invariably the Scots, both home and away, who tended to give us the better test? Like us though, whilst we are still rebuilding, the Scots have completed that phase and now need to produce consistency, sadly, again much like us, take away the match-day 23, and you scratch away the paucity of depth!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm
World XV Player

Please pick plenty of Newport players so that the WRU can justify its investment ;)

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:43 am
World XV Player

How much do the Scarlets get in Dual Contract money these days?

You've lost a few over the Hafren but it's good to have the WRU on your side.

And, a potted history :-

The current Rugby Services Agreement (or RSA) has been in place since 28 August 2014, and will be in place between the union and the four Welsh regions (Cardiff Blues, Newport Gwent Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets) for six years.

The new agreement also allows players to be offered a National Dual Contract (NDC), which means the union will pay 60% of a NDC player's salary and their region 40%.

They also become available for all Welsh senior matches, despite if the match falls outside World Rugby's international release windows in June and November.

The WRU retained the right to play up to 13 senior international games each year with a 13-day release facility for squad training before the Six Nations and Autumn series games.

The new agreement stipulates that Head Coach Warren Gatland is the sole person to decide who gets a National Dual Contract, with a long-term aim of only selecting players based in Wales.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the Rhys Webb situation is being sorted out now?

Jiffy's total indifference when Webb's name was mentioned on Scrum [V] made me wince.

As the pundits said last weak, "Rhys Webb is far and away the best scrumhalf, surely he must be selected?"

I liked Rhys' gesture zipping the lips of his detractors.

:D

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 am
Club Player

Scotland in the last few years have played some very attractive rugby, even in defeat. Every now and then they have been capable of pulling something special out of the bag. It would not surprise me if the Scots beat us at home; initiating a rethink in selection, resulting in us winning at Twickenham.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
Scotland in the last few years have played some very attractive rugby, even in defeat. Every now and then they have been capable of pulling something special out of the bag. It would not surprise me if the Scots beat us at home; initiating a rethink in selection, resulting in us winning at Twickenham.

I'd be surprised if a defeat at home to Scotland could be resolved bt changing selection.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

You are probably right Bouch about a solution to the Webb problem. We have some talented scrum halves in Wales, but Rhys Webb stands higher than any others. The thought of entering a Six Nations without him is unthinkable.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

The current Rugby Services Agreement (or RSA) has been in place since 28 August 2014, and will be in place between the union and the four Welsh regions (Cardiff Blues, Newport Gwent Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets) for six years.

The new agreement also allows players to be offered a National Dual Contract (NDC), which means the union will pay 60% of a NDC player's salary and their region 40%.

They also become available for all Welsh senior matches, despite if the match falls outside World Rugby's international release windows in June and November.

The WRU retained the right to play up to 13 senior international games each year with a 13-day release facility for squad training before the Six Nations and Autumn series games.

The new agreement stipulates that Head Coach Warren Gatland is the sole person to decide who gets a National Dual Contract, with a long-term aim of only selecting players based in Wales.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiffy's total indifference when Webb's name was mentioned on Scrum [V] made me wince.

As the pundits said last weak, "Rhys Webb is far and away the best scrumhalf, surely he must be selected?"

Are 2 of those 'regions' still in existence? Does a name change break the continuity of contract, or were there renegotiations?

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
BigRed wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:

Fair points BR, don't disagree with you or John? Has to be said though, I think it's great to see the Scots with a team that could be there, or thereabouts at the end of the 6N? Cast your mind back to the 60's/70's and it was invariably the Scots, both home and away, who tended to give us the better test? Like us though, whilst we are still rebuilding, the Scots have completed that phase and now need to produce consistency, sadly, again much like us, take away the match-day 23, and you scratch away the paucity of depth!!

I thought France were the best European team in the 60s/70s after Wales?

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Otto wrote:
BigRed wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:

I thought France were the best European team in the 60s/70s after Wales?

I think Wales went 12 years and only had 2 wins over France, late 50s and throughout the 60s.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

NDC players are Halfpenny, (you can have him back), Foxy, Lee and Ball.

Not that many, compared to the WRU favourites

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 pm
World XV Player

Read somewhere that Sam Moore from Sale might be included in the squad on Monday. Hard to gauge who will be in it giving there are so many injury doubts.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Quite a few players put their hands up this weekend.
It'll be difficult to leave out some players from the Scarlets who may just make up the bulk of the squad.
However, Ospreys and Blues had to grind out against better opposition.
mind you, saying that Bath is pretty high up in the fifth position in the EPL.
Not too shabby.... :D

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail