It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:50 am

Sack to Commentator 
Regional Player

Post Re: Sack to Commentator
Always find that Jiffy is careful not to criticise individual players and seems too close to the players/management to be brutally honest when commentating on a game. I suppose the best that can be said is that he's better than Barnes - but that's setting the bar very very low.

I give far more credence to Moore, and to a lesser extent Butler, during a match but really enjoy listening to Gwyn Jones and especially Peter Jackson prior/post match. You get real opinions then.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
Always find that Jiffy is careful not to criticise individual players and seems too close to the players/management to be brutally honest when commentating on a game. I suppose the best that can be said is that he's better than Barnes - but that's setting the bar very very low.

I give far more credence to Moore, and to a lesser extent Butler, during a match but really enjoy listening to Gwyn Jones and especially Peter Jackson prior/post match. You get real opinions then.

I would disagree, I think the strikes the balance fairly well and I have heard him say something along the lines of "Jamie Roberts has a problem passing and Biggar stands deep, but no one has trained them to sort these out, there is no elite director looking at skills".

I think Gwyn is probably the most reasonable with his criticism. He is happy to give an opinion and I believe what he says. I find Peter Jackson a bit contrarian and he has made his name as being a bit of a moaner.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yes, I like the fact that Jackson says what he thinks and is articulate, as is Gwyn Jones.

Martyn Williams is not great and Alfie is an embarrassment.

Butler I actually think is a good lead commentator

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

buglet wrote:
Yes, I like the fact that Jackson says what he thinks and is articulate, as is Gwyn Jones.

Martyn Williams is not great and Alfie is an embarrassment.

Butler I actually think is a good lead commentator

Jackson's constant outpouring of misery and negativity is a source of the greatest pleasure for those of us who realise that this is as good as it gets for him.

Wales just beat South Africa for the 3rd time in a row.

It's all uphill from here.

:D :D :D :D :D

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 pm
World XV Player

Third time in a row at Cardiff - they beat us in 2015.

Jackson voices unpalatable truths.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I find Jackson a tad on the negative side but you can guarantee that he will never ignore the elephant in the room that other hosts might. Of the Scrum V lot I'd say Gwyn Jones hands down comes across as the most reasonable with a good balance of praise and criticism. Haven't seen him really show bias for or against any national side nor have I seen him go for the cheap applause that you can get by saying the right things in the studio. Guscott for me has always come across as trying to be too diplomatic on Scrum V and desperately trying to avoid any sort of "arrogant Englishman" stuff, although his comment the other day when told that England playing now are "just like Wales were in 2013" was brilliant, "no I'm talking about intelligence".

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
I find Jackson a tad on the negative side but you can guarantee that he will never ignore the elephant in the room that other hosts might. Of the Scrum V lot I'd say Gwyn Jones hands down comes across as the most reasonable with a good balance of praise and criticism. Haven't seen him really show bias for or against any national side nor have I seen him go for the cheap applause that you can get by saying the right things in the studio. Guscott for me has always come across as trying to be too diplomatic on Scrum V and desperately trying to avoid any sort of "arrogant Englishman" stuff, although his comment the other day when told that England playing now are "just like Wales were in 2013" was brilliant, "no I'm talking about intelligence".

Guscott is even handed and a fair minded pundit.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Always been a fan of Guscott and Moore as pundits. I always get the sense that when Guscott criticises Wales it is with a sense of disappointment.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 pm
Profile E-mail