It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:39 am

Sack to Commentator 
World XV Player

Post Re: Sack to Commentator
Blindside wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Ah well the usual suspects have to find something to moan about I suppose

Dont come on forums to be happy do you :(

There does seem to be a preponderance of glass half empty people who post on forums and yet rugby people who I meet in person in the main seem a lot more upbeat

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I like him but he sometimes doesn't call it as it should like Gwyn Jones as hes too pally with the players and the current jobs for the boys management.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Measured against Pillock Robson on the meter?

That brought it down to earth !

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:19 am
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
He has an over inflated opinion of himself

Achieved the highest honours in both codes of rugby. Plenty of silverware and winners medals, represented country, Lions and GB, I think he's earned it.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:38 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
[

Achieved the highest honours in both codes of rugby. Plenty of silverware and winners medals, represented country, Lions and GB, I think he's earned it.[/quote]

well said.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:47 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Troron wrote:

Achieved the highest honours in both codes of rugby. Plenty of silverware and winners medals, represented country, Lions and GB, I think he's earned it.

As a player, not as a commentator. He seems to always butt in and talk over others, which shows he has little respect for the opinion of others and just wants people to hear him. Guscott, Tindall, Delaglio, Woodward to name a few have all achieved the highest honours in rugby yet that hasn't stopped criticism of them as pundits.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

There's no questioning his credentials as a player, one of the true greats of both codes, but that does not give him immunity from criticism of his current role, to think so is fallacious, an argument from special pleading. It's akin to saying that Bill McLaren was a mediocre commentator because he was a mediocre rugby player, which we all know is patently hogwash.

I find his indifference, and even contempt to even trying to be respectful to players names rude, unprofessional and unacceptable, I sense that he thinks he can get away with it because of his Jack the Lad, one of the boys image. He's also not very articulate when discussing the intricacies of our game. In his commentary all we hear is "numbers", "inside shoulder" blah blah blah ad nausea.

Brian Moore pointed out his irrational commentary several times on Saturday, Eddie Butler is a little more diplomatic but it nonetheless highlights Jiffy's inadequacies as a commentator, he's become a parody of himself, so many roll the eyes moments.

If we are so critical of the boys on the pitch, we should be prepared to be equally as critical of the custodians and promoters of our game.

I'm not saying that I could do any better, but it isn't my job to.

I accept that this is my opinion and it may not be shared by anyone else, that's life.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:55 pm
Site Admin

Troron wrote:

Agreed, accept he never made a Lions squad as he went North before he got chance as the 1986 tour never happened due to Apartheid and he had gone to League before 1989 tour!

Probably the only accolade missing from his career

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

Andrew (Scum V) wrote:
Troron wrote:

Agreed, accept he never made a Lions squad as he went North before he got chance as the 1986 tour never happened due to Apartheid and he had gone to League before 1989 tour!

Probably the only accolade missing from his career

which ended over 20 yeas ago...I am with Troron on this one. Jiffy' s analysis is very light compared to most others, with Martyn Williams another poor choice.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:22 pm
World XV Player

He was a fantastic player he would have been a fantastic player in today's game as well.

As a commentator, i have defended him i used to like him, but im beginning to imagine him as the David Steel puppet on spitting image and its doing my head in.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Ah well the usual suspects have to find something to moan about I suppose

Dont come on forums to be happy do you :(

There does seem to be a preponderance of glass half empty people who post on forums and yet rugby people who I meet in person in the main seem a lot more upbeat

I thought you was gonna react to Dai's :D

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I haven't commented on Jiffy here because he is a natural treasure and now that you are all grown up and thrown away like Woody, I'll ask this: How many have ye seen him on Welsh TV??? Have you have ever fallen with style?

You are all so darn critical in not seeing your own faces being served up on tv? Hint: could there possibly be a reason?

Moore and Butler are a dream Team but Jiffy is The Real Ingot of 'Arddull Cymreig'!

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Jiffy does talk a good job, and he does have this habit of making rugby sound so easy to play, so you start wondering why the team you are watching can't play it like he says, but he is not a coach, he is just a pundit, he's being paid for his views on the game. I like him, but I can see why he could get on other peoples nerves.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
Jiffy does talk a good job, and he does have this habit of making rugby sound so easy to play, so you start wondering why the team you are watching can't play it like he says, but he is not a coach, he is just a pundit, he's being paid for his views on the game. I like him, but I can see why he could get on other peoples nerves.
It is an easy game to play, watch the AB's! It's us that make it complicated.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

gwladok5 wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
It is an easy game to play, watch the AB's! It's us that make it complicated.

true story that

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:50 am
Profile E-mail WWW