It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 am

SH v NH Observations 
World XV Player

Post SH v NH Observations
With the last of the EoYT games done it's pretty clear that there have been some big improvements in the standard of rugby in the NH and the attitude of the players and coaches.

These are my observations and they are based purely on what we have seen over the past month.

NH

Scotland have really taken to a faster style. They may not have the depth but the players they have right now seem to buy in to the game plan. They are a fun team to watch.

Ireland are classy. There are no real weaknesses in their game.

England were a bit down on their previous form but have huge depth. They probably need to utilize it more, Jones seems to be starting to do it.

Wales need a new coach. It takes a really special coach to be able to stay with a team so long, I personally don't think Gatland is a bad coach, it's just that the message has gotten old. I always feel like Wales has a bunch of talented players who don't play with the confidence they should.

France are rubbish and suffering from problems of their own making.

SH

AB - It was a tough year. 2 losses and a draw. Lots of inaccuracy, poor discipline, too many injuries, and inconsistent selections in the midfield. We played well enough on the EoYT, but nothing special. We miss our broken players badly.

Aus are rebuilding, but they seem to bottle it if they get their head down. There's no backbone there. They need to take a look at their cricket team.

SA are similar to France. Screwed up from inside. Their coach is also way out of his depth. They still have the players around, but they need to develop a SA style again.

A RWC right now would be very interesting. The finals would be bloody great. It probably sounds arrogant but after watching the ABs winning for the past 8 years it's a really welcome sight seeing the NH get its game in shape. The shit talk on the forums will be better for it.

IMO right now NH>SH overall. I think that's pretty clear.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:11 am
World XV Player

Post Re: SH v NH Observations
Crikey, I forgot about Wales v SA next week. That's what you get for posting when you're dead tired.

IMO the best result for either team (long term) could be a big loss. The SA coach can be fired, but it seems like Gatland his incriminating photos of WRU board members...

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:23 am
World XV Player

I agree. Other than NZ (who while not playing champagne rugby 100% are still intelligent enough to bang out the wins), the NH seem stronger overall, and not just because the Boks and Australia have fallen back. Ireland and Scotland have genuinely improved to the point they'd run our better teams hard too, bever mind the shitties we're pumping out at the moment.

For me, even with the Boks being shittier than a blocked toilet of a household suffering massive diarrhoea, international rugby is currently very interesting.

I have no clue how the Wales/Boks game will go, but my eternal pathetic pessimism points to a big Wales win, and a new Gatland contract till 2035 :D

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 am
World XV Player

Agree. NH is finally taking steps forward, big ones. It’s awesome! Stoked for the Scots, I’m really looked forward to that NH comp thingy now, the 6 notions of something? Will be cheering for the kilted ones. :brave:

Aus and SA.......... Aus looked to be moving forward after beating us, but instead it gave them huge expectations and they’ve folded bigtime. Their red card today sums up their entire season.

I can’t wait until 2019! Going to be awesome, so many teams in with a shout at an upset, would love to see the hosts or Georgia qualify, or even be in the running with a game to play.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 am
World XV Player

You forgot to look at Italy and Argentina. Imo both of those teams have been stagnating if not declining, but Argentina are still undoubtedly the stronger of the two. The best of the SH (All Blacks) are still better than the best of the NH (England), while the worst of the SH (Argentina) are still better than the worst of the NH (Italy). Other than the extremes, however, it is much more interesting and unpredictable than in the past.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
You forgot to look at Italy and Argentina. Imo both of those teams have been stagnating if not declining, but Argentina are still undoubtedly the stronger of the two. The best of the SH (All Blacks) are still better than the best of the NH (England), while the worst of the SH (Argentina) are still better than the worst of the NH (Italy). Other than the extremes, however, it is much more interesting and unpredictable than in the past.

Both are largely irrelevant....that's why :yawn:

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm
Regional Player

I can't see past NZ for RWC19 with all, or even most, of their players being fit - the rest being absolutely nowhere. Unless, of course, they choke (again)

Is there anyone who honestly believes otherwise ?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Both are largely irrelevant....that's why :yawn:

Argentina have reached two semis in the last three World Cups, it is just they seem to become rather more mediocre in the interim years.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Argies really stick to that 4 year cycle. They are always rubbish between RWCs.

Italy, well we have no idea how long their cycle is because they haven't hit their good time yet. They started in 1929, let's call it an 88 year cycle so far.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:20 pm
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
The Argies really stick to that 4 year cycle. They are always rubbish between RWCs.

Italy, well we have no idea how long their cycle is because they haven't hit their good time yet. They started in 1929, let's call it an 88 year cycle so far.

Until the 90's, the best non-5N European team was Romania. However, Italy had a good few years with players like Diego Dominguez, but not much has happened since then.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think "good years" might be just relative to their normal shit. They've been awful forever. The odd result doesn't really make a good year.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:01 pm
World XV Player

Were Sergio Parisse (and until recently Martin Castrogiovanni) not around, who knows what Italy would be like? :wtf:

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
I can't see past NZ for RWC19 with all, or even most, of their players being fit - the rest being absolutely nowhere. Unless, of course, they choke (again)

Is there anyone who honestly believes otherwise ?

Just have to look at the last 2 seasons to see that NZ isn’t some unbeatable force. This Aus side, that is pretty rubbish, lifted their game and beat us. Ireland did it, the Scots almost did it. I guess every AB game could be considered a choke if they lose, we all expect them to win every game, and the opposition always go up a gear. The WC is a while away yet, plenty of time for everyone to pull finger. Only takes one huge effort to knock the top seeds out, if that happens, it’s a lottery.

I think the Aussies will make the semis, they always show up to WCs.

I think at this rate, it’s up to the NH teams to not choke.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:16 pm
World XV Player

I'd always expect the saffers to make a semi, England are in good form and should, Ireland are playing accurate rugby so they should. That leaves Aus out. Not sure if this stacks up in the draw though.

AB/Saffers/Eng/Ire as the semifinalists if the RWC was played now. Any team could beat any team there.

Makes rugby much more exciting. Glad the NH have got their shit together.

Now just move your season to spring/summer and play on hard ground more often and things will improve even more.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 am
World XV Player

The is only one real threat to NZ dominance in the short to medium term and thats England.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:37 am
Profile E-mail