It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Gatland Out 
World XV Player

Post Re: Gatland Out
Troron wrote:
I think the problem with people who coach NZ is they will always be made to look better. Not saying any of them are bad coaches but when you have a 1st and 2nd team full of players who can do the basics extremely well and would walk into most international teams, you'd have to be a pretty shit coach to not get something out of them. Having that level of ability allows a degree of coaching you can't achieve so easily with players who cannot be relied on to do the basics right the vast majority of the time.

For example I think what Cotter and Townsend have done with Scotland is more impressive than Henson with NZ. I think if they swapped coaching positions, NZ would continue to dominate the world whilst I'm not so sure Scotland would continue their current improvement.

Are you drunk ? :D :D

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:08 am
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
I think the problem with people who coach NZ is they will always be made to look better. Not saying any of them are bad coaches but when you have a 1st and 2nd team full of players who can do the basics extremely well and would walk into most international teams, you'd have to be a pretty shit coach to not get something out of them. Having that level of ability allows a degree of coaching you can't achieve so easily with players who cannot be relied on to do the basics right the vast majority of the time.

For example I think what Cotter and Townsend have done with Scotland is more impressive than Henson with NZ. I think if they swapped coaching positions, NZ would continue to dominate the world whilst I'm not so sure Scotland would continue their current improvement.

The flip side of that is NZ coaches have the most scrutinized coaching job on the planet. The pressure to win is enormous. Lose a few games and you’re *fupped*. Hanson has taken NZ to even greater heights, the last 10 years have been domination. I don’t know if many coaches would’ve been able to pull that off, but I guess we will never know. Cotter and Townsend haven’t really done anything with Scotland, except improve their national side. Hansen has solidified his name in NZ rugby history. Before SH and GH(actually including GH’s first run at a WC) we had a shitload of players who would’ve walked into most international sides, yet we all know how things went back then.
SH has been huge, possibly the greatest coach we’ve ever had, and his input into all rugby in NZ can’t be underestimated.

In saying all that, I do get where you’re coming from.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:25 am
British & Irish Lions Player

loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:

The flip side of that is NZ coaches have the most scrutinized coaching job on the planet. The pressure to win is enormous. Lose a few games and you’re *fupped*. Hanson has taken NZ to even greater heights, the last 10 years have been domination. I don’t know if many coaches would’ve been able to pull that off, but I guess we will never know. Cotter and Townsend haven’t really done anything with Scotland, except improve their national side. Hansen has solidified his name in NZ rugby history. Before SH and GH(actually including GH’s first run at a WC) we had a shitload of players who would’ve walked into most international sides, yet we all know how things went back then.
SH has been huge, possibly the greatest coach we’ve ever had, and his input into all rugby in NZ can’t be underestimated.

Yeah I think I must make it abundantly clear that my comment is in no way questioning the ability of any of the NZ coaches, more it's pointing to the fact that comparisons between NZ coaches and other is difficult because of the difference with what they have to work with. The sheer ability of the AB players could mask any faults a coach would have far more than the players of any other team could. Likewise the AB team can mask weaknesses in any of their players because the team as a whole is good enough to take up the slack so it goes unnoticed.

When Hansen was with Wales, he only won 35% of his games, Henry 59%.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:

Yeah I think I must make it abundantly clear that my comment is in no way questioning the ability of any of the NZ coaches, more it's pointing to the fact that comparisons between NZ coaches and other is difficult because of the difference with what they have to work with. The sheer ability of the AB players could mask any faults a coach would have far more than the players of any other team could. Likewise the AB team can mask weaknesses in any of their players because the team as a whole is good enough to take up the slack so it goes unnoticed.

:thumbup:

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:32 am
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:

That’s fair. Its going to make the next appointment pretty interesting, because trying to keep the team to the current standards is going to be a mammoth task. And tbh, the next guy who’s being touted is not very popular and will have even more pressure than what GH and SH had to go through.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:36 am
thread ruining clique

I could have coached the All Blacks of three years ago. All you had to do was remind them to win, then you'd be free to go to the bar.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:06 am
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:

I think Hansen got badly treated at Wales. Henry and Hansen made the foundations for the 2005 Grand Slam. When Henry took over was looking unlikely. Under Hansen we did pretty well in the World Cup.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:

I think Hansen got badly treated at Wales. Henry and Hansen made the foundations for the 2005 Grand Slam. When Henry took over was looking unlikely. Under Hansen we did pretty well in the World Cup.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I could have coached the All Blacks of three years ago. All you had to do was remind them to win, then you'd be free to go to the bar.

Well...yeah, there’s that. Though you would’ve sausaged them before your contract ran out, and they’d be in all sorts of trouble.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am
World XV Player

For example, Conor O'Shea is a pretty good coach, but still at the end of the day Italy are, well, Italy, and have only won 4/17 tests since he took over. Coaches can improve a team, but they cannot create one as such.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail

loosechange wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Well...yeah, there’s that. Though you would’ve sausaged them before your contract ran out, and they’d be in all sorts of trouble.

I'm sure he's not that attracted to the AB players.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

You obviously have never met our spin!

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm

loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

As long as it isn't meatspin...

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Is this a gay thread?

Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Troron wrote:
loosechange wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Is this a gay thread?

As in 'Right said thread'?

Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next