It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Wales are being left behind in international rugby... 
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales are being left behind in international rugby...
najbritcol wrote:
simondavis wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
rugbydan wrote:
Need a new coaching team. Has been obvious for some years now. Georgia should not have lost and we had to make up an injury to even win the game. We need another Fiji style humiliation to get the 3 muppets out.

Calm before the storm? Let's just see how Wales do in the next two matches with the first team back (or something resembling it). If Wales narrowly lose to the All Blacks and defeat the Springboks I'll be happy. If not, then I think heads should roll.

What storm??? Everyone expects a hammering next week, and SA game does not mean much

Exactly that. If Wales have a severe loss to the All Blacks and then lose to what is a decidedly below-par Springbok team, then sackings and/or resignations should follow.

No they absolutely shouldn't and neither will they..

I don't understand. Do you mean the coaches should not resign regardless of the next two results, or that Wales will not be hammered by the All Blacks and lose to the not-so-wonderful Springboks?

Lol.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:43 pm
Club Player

SimplyRed wrote:
I can see the writing on the wall here.
Scots and Irish already playing a nice and exciting brand. England way ahead and France recovering.
Wales and Italy? nowhere to be seen. its depressing and worrying me we are not adapting at all. Tired and old hand coaches like McBryde and Howley need to go NOW and get people in for the 2019 world cup; People need to be refreshed and we aren't getting it with Wales.
why is the WRU allowing this to happen?
We are heading for two defeats in coming weeks and a terrible 6 Nations.
You heard it here first...

NONE of this is a surprise.
Wales has - in many aspects of its national life - long resembled some sort of outpost of the former Soviet Union (which even the countries who were in it junked.)
That our rugby set-up should be so hide-bound and dying on its feet more or less fits in with everything else.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:09 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
loosechange wrote:
I think “international” should be deleted in the title. International rugby is the end product of what you do internally. The problem isn’t Test rugby, the problem is internal bickering and fighting for power.

Unfortunately, that is a national epidemic in Wales

Why do you hate Wales so much?

it should be obvious to even the most limited of intellects that I don't. ;)

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 am
World XV Player

Of course you don't, mate.

There are parts of Wales that you positively support.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:45 am
World XV Player

Its all about cycles, we had a "Golden generation" which is now aging / retired and even though there have been some excellent replacements for SOME of these positions (e.g. Rhys Webb replacing Phillips), too many holes being filled by players not good enough, or at least not AS good.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am
Regional Player

stujones1 wrote:
Its all about cycles, we had a "Golden generation" which is now aging / retired and even though there have been some excellent replacements for SOME of these positions (e.g. Rhys Webb replacing Phillips), too many holes being filled by players not good enough, or at least not AS good.

"Golden Generation"
This is the problem with virtually all international teams bar the AB's, we all historically have relied upon this far too heavily, in England we fufilled our generations potential when Clive Woodward directed us to 14 games unbeaten against the SH, 6n success and soam, and then to World Champions (what a day!). However it was an end goal strategy only. What is needed is succession planning where not only is the focus towards the current and close future events, i.e A.I's and 6 nations, but to mid term success with the world cup, but also employing strategies for long term continued success. This is the biggest challenge, and for that to happen you need every level and age group working towards this. It can be done, the A B's are proof! We seem to be develoing this as well. Question is can the other nations follw suit or will they lag behind hoping for an occasional 'golden generation'? In my mind this is one of the biggest challenges in modern professional rugby.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
stujones1 wrote:

"Golden Generation"
This is the problem with virtually all international teams bar the AB's, we all historically have relied upon this far too heavily, in England we fufilled our generations potential when Clive Woodward directed us to 14 games unbeaten against the SH, 6n success and soam, and then to World Champions (what a day!). However it was an end goal strategy only. What is needed is succession planning where not only is the focus towards the current and close future events, i.e A.I's and 6 nations, but to mid term success with the world cup, but also employing strategies for long term continued success. This is the biggest challenge, and for that to happen you need every level and age group working towards this. It can be done, the A B's are proof! We seem to be develoing this as well. Question is can the other nations follw suit or will they lag behind hoping for an occasional 'golden generation'? In my mind this is one of the biggest challenges in modern professional rugby.

:clap:
The above post hits the nail on the head completely, the trouble is the WRU would say that this is what is in place :D
Where in truth they leave a development system virtually run itself from 7 to 15 and then coming along and picking the best, even then there are people with agendas involved which effects selection for squads.

The result is not good enough, the best should be even better and the standard you select from could be higher. Young players are wired up by well-meaning "coaches" many of whom dont understand the fundamentals. Flaws become ingrained and very difficult to iron out, they are often disguised but players revert to type under pressure. Carrying on the metaphor of house building on another thread, It's far easier to wire a new hose than rewire an old one. Get the basics right and the foundation will hold you in good stead.

The answer lies in in a scientific approach to skill acquisition, not unsupported opinions or hunches. If you want to develop highly skilled young athletes you must provide an environment where they are appropriately stretched, the potential is nurtured from a young age. How young and in what system depends on the science and practicalities. The present system does not really search for the answers as it would challenge those involved in the system.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:30 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

If you leave out the Pacific Islands, Wales is easily the smallest of the top tier countries.

We are about 3 million people, Ireland has about 6.5 million since the island treats rugby as an integrated sport. Scotland has over 5 million, New Zealand about 5 million. Even Georgia has 1.5 million more people than we do.

Obviously we are a superior race, you have to factor that in, but to compete at world level is going to be an increasing challenge.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail

Blindside wrote:
wombles wrote:
stujones1 wrote:

"Golden Generation"

:clap:
The above post hits the nail on the head completely, the trouble is the WRU would say that this is what is in place :D
Where in truth they leave a development system virtually run itself from 7 to 15 and then coming along and picking the best, even then there are people with agendas involved which effects selection for squads.

The result is not good enough, the best should be even better and the standard you select from could be higher. Young players are wired up by well-meaning "coaches" many of whom dont understand the fundamentals. Flaws become ingrained and very difficult to iron out, they are often disguised but players revert to type under pressure. Carrying on the metaphor of house building on another thread, It's far easier to wire a new hose than rewire an old one. Get the basics right and the foundation will hold you in good stead.

The answer lies in in a scientific approach to skill acquisition, not unsupported opinions or hunches. If you want to develop highly skilled young athletes you must provide an environment where they are appropriately stretched, the potential is nurtured from a young age. How young and in what system depends on the science and practicalities. The present system does not really search for the answers as it would challenge those involved in the system.

This kind of integrated approach based on sport science and better resource distribution is the only way it could be done really.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail

IRB numbers comparing us with Ireland say that today the number of registered senior players is pretty much identical, but Ireland has 4 times as many boys 13 and under playing the game, and 4 times as many teenagers.

So once the current seniors give up the game it will be an amazing achievement for Wales to compete at the same level as Ireland in future.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Stockholm Blue wrote:
IRB numbers comparing us with Ireland say that today the number of registered senior players is pretty much identical, but Ireland has 4 times as many boys 13 and under playing the game, and 4 times as many teenagers.

So once the current seniors give up the game it will be an amazing achievement for Wales to compete at the same level as Ireland in future.

Do you have a source for all these figures? And btw, Georgia and the Pacific Islands are Tier Two countries, although the former could be Tier One countries were it not for all their players being poached by everyone else.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:35 pm
Profile E-mail

stujones1 wrote:

Imo props and centres (bar JD2) are Wales' biggest weaknesses currently. The rest is more variable.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:38 pm
Profile E-mail

najbritcol wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:

Do you have a source for all these figures? And btw, Georgia and the Pacific Islands are Tier Two countries, although the latter could be Tier One countries were it not for all their players being poached by everyone else.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 pm
Profile E-mail

najbritcol wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:

Do you have a source for all these figures? And btw, Georgia and the Pacific Islands are Tier Two countries, although the latter could be Tier One countries were it not for all their players being poached by everyone else.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:

Do you have a source for all these figures? And btw, Georgia and the Pacific Islands are Tier Two countries, although the former could be Tier One countries were it not for all their players being poached by everyone else.

:D You gotta get over this poaching hype mate. Most, if not every player is playing exactly where they want to play. Get over it. If none of those players or their families left the sunny shores of those PIs, chances are they wouldn’t even be in tier 2.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next