It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Wales are being left behind in international rugby... 
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales are being left behind in international rugby...
I couldn't believe the lack of ball carriers, lack of angles of running and standing still players accepting ball.

Surely, coaches take responsibility in these circumstances, get Howley and Mc Bryde out now for Humphreys and Wellies, offer some hope that we will be competitve in 2019.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:11 pm
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
rugbydan wrote:
Need a new coaching team. Has been obvious for some years now. Georgia should not have lost and we had to make up an injury to even win the game. We need another Fiji style humiliation to get the 3 muppets out.

Calm before the storm? Let's just see how Wales do in the next two matches with the first team back (or something resembling it). If Wales narrowly lose to the All Blacks and defeat the Springboks I'll be happy. If not, then I think heads should roll.

What storm??? Everyone expects a hammering next week, and SA game does not mean much

Exactly that. If Wales have a severe loss to the All Blacks and then lose to what is a decidedly below-par Springbok team, then sackings and/or resignations should follow.

No they absolutely shouldn't and neither will they..

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:12 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
The title of the thread is a pretty broad generalization.

6 months ago, the Scarlets won the Pro 12 playing fast open rugby, and continued to play open attractive rugby, sometimes to their detriment.

How soon we forget..

The heading does say Wales and does mention International Rugby.

The Pro 12 is just a small component of that and Regions performance in Europe has been poor too including Scarlets, albeit they may prove different this year.

Scarlets success timeframe is also relatively short?

Ospreys, once upon a time, played relatively successful rugby and look at them now ....

Since there are only 4 professional teams in Wales, and the WRU has enacted policies to make players play for them to be selected for Wales, it seems to me that the success of the national team does depend greatly on the regions, and that they are not a "small component".

I am aware of latest policy regarding returning Welsh players but there are still absentees and I'm not sure of the good sense of that policy either.

Scarlets success is hardly 'established' eg Euro as I have mentioned and the timeframe hardly long term.

I recognise and congratulate the Scarlets and will say that maybe the coach and his obvious team tactics are an indication of what's needed.They have also acquired good NWQs and converted them via residency.....just in time.

I also recognise that Scarlets seem to have a good development feed

All in all I think that there are fundamental issues and looking for swallows disguises the deeper aspects.

I am not well aware of overall Welsh rugby circumstances but if I read the WRU Annual Report which expends many pages on Community rugby and Regions ...they hardly seem 'joined up'

The WRU does seem to be addressing Regional independence via NDCs and now ownership of the Dragons with a rumour that Moriartymay join them. That seems positive to me.

I am also concerned when I read from posters who are very involved at grass root levels that Junior rugby is neglected nd there is a worying decline of club teams. Maybe I've misinterpreted tbat....

Anyway, all grist to the mill and the buck stops at the WRU

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:24 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Imagine what good coaches would have done with that playing talent ;)

Haha....Like who?

Eddie Jones?
Cotter
Gregor Townsend

Warren ain't cheap...

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:06 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Langland Exile wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Imagine what good coaches would have done with that playing talent ;)

Haha....Like who?

Eddie Jones?
Cotter
Gregor Townsend

Warren ain't cheap...

I assumed he was referring to the players lacking talent, not the coaches.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail

simondavis wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
rugbydan wrote:
Need a new coaching team. Has been obvious for some years now. Georgia should not have lost and we had to make up an injury to even win the game. We need another Fiji style humiliation to get the 3 muppets out.

Calm before the storm? Let's just see how Wales do in the next two matches with the first team back (or something resembling it). If Wales narrowly lose to the All Blacks and defeat the Springboks I'll be happy. If not, then I think heads should roll.

What storm??? Everyone expects a hammering next week, and SA game does not mean much

Exactly that. If Wales have a severe loss to the All Blacks and then lose to what is a decidedly below-par Springbok team, then sackings and/or resignations should follow.

No they absolutely shouldn't and neither will they..

I don't understand. Do you mean the coaches should not resign regardless of the next two results, or that Wales will not be hammered by the All Blacks and lose to the not-so-wonderful Springboks?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
The title of the thread is a pretty broad generalization.

6 months ago, the Scarlets won the Pro 12 playing fast open rugby, and continued to play open attractive rugby, sometimes to their detriment.

How soon we forget..

The heading does say Wales and does mention International Rugby.

The Pro 12 is just a small component of that and Regions performance in Europe has been poor too including Scarlets, albeit they may prove different this year.

Scarlets success timeframe is also relatively short?

Ospreys, once upon a time, played relatively successful rugby and look at them now ....

Since there are only 4 professional teams in Wales, and the WRU has enacted policies to make players play for them to be selected for Wales, it seems to me that the success of the national team does depend greatly on the regions, and that they are not a "small component".

I am aware of latest policy regarding returning Welsh players but there are still absentees and I'm not sure of the good sense of that policy either.

Scarlets success is hardly 'established' eg Euro as I have mentioned and the timeframe hardly long term.

I recognise and congratulate the Scarlets and will say that maybe the coach and his obvious team tactics are an indication of what's needed.They have also acquired good NWQs and converted them via residency.....just in time.

I also recognise that Scarlets seem to have a good development feed

All in all I think that there are fundamental issues and looking for swallows disguises the deeper aspects.

I am not well aware of overall Welsh rugby circumstances but if I read the WRU Annual Report which expends many pages on Community rugby and Regions ...they hardly seem 'joined up'

The WRU does seem to be addressing Regional independence via NDCs and now ownership of the Dragons with a rumour that Moriartymay join them. That seems positive to me.

I am also concerned when I read from posters who are very involved at grass root levels that Junior rugby is neglected nd there is a worying decline of club teams. Maybe I've misinterpreted tbat....

Anyway, all grist to the mill and the buck stops at the WRU

According to today's edition of the Rugby Paper, Moriarty is definitely going to the Dragons. Anyway, re grassroots rugby in Wales: don't forget that Wales, aside from being somewhat smaller in both absolute numbers and playing numbers than England, France, SA and even to some extent NZ and Ireland, is also one of the fastest-ageing countries in the Western world. This means that lots of younger people leave to study or work (mainly in England), while lots of older people stay or move in (also mostly from England) to retire. Therefore, the number of people of a rugby-playing age, both in absolute and relative numbers, is actually pretty low. Having said that, I doubt there are many countries in the world with a population of just 3 million people that nevertheless have circa 300 rugby clubs! (Leaving out those linked to schools, colleges and universities, moreover).

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
According to today's edition of the Rugby Paper, Moriarty is definitely going to the Dragons. Anyway, re grassroots rugby in Wales: don't forget that Wales, aside from being somewhat smaller in both absolute numbers and playing numbers than England, France, SA and even to some extent NZ and Ireland, is also one of the fastest-ageing countries in the Western world. This means that lots of younger people leave to study or work (mainly in England), while lots of older people stay or move in (also mostly from England) to retire. Therefore, the number of people of a rugby-playing age, both in absolute and relative numbers, is actually pretty low. Having said that, I doubt there are many countries in the world with a population of just 3 million people that nevertheless have circa 300 rugby clubs! (Leaving out those linked to schools, colleges and universities, moreover).

Maybe it would be better if we had less and better integrated into a Community, semi pro and Pro Clubs/Regions structure and associated quality and feeds?

Size does matter but effective use of what you've got is priority?

Just maybe the apparent erosion is due to the very circumstance that you seem proud of!

I don't know but it seems a case for devils advocacy?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Tony Panties wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Maybe it would be better if we had less and better integrated into a Community, semi pro and Pro Clubs/Regions structure and associated quality and feeds?

Size does matter but effective use of what you've got is priority?

Just maybe the apparent erosion is due to the very circumstance that you seem proud of!

I don't know but it seems a case for devils advocacy?

I do agree that Wales does have too many rugby clubs relative to both the quantity and quality of rugby players and some of them should merge, e.g. in Swansea: Dunvant & Swansea Uplands, Waurnalwydd & Gowerton, Gorseinon & Loughor, Mumbles & South Gower, Glais & Birchgrove etc. However, it does show that rugby is still pretty important and popular here and isn't 'dying' as the hysterics say.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

SimplyRed wrote:
I can see the writing on the wall here.
Scots and Irish already playing a nice and exciting brand. England way ahead and France recovering.
Wales and Italy? nowhere to be seen. its depressing and worrying me we are not adapting at all. Tired and old hand coaches like McBryde and Howley need to go NOW and get people in for the 2019 world cup; People need to be refreshed and we aren't getting it with Wales.
why is the WRU allowing this to happen?
We are heading for two defeats in coming weeks and a terrible 6 Nations.
You heard it here first...

Nah.

All it takes is one great match and all is forgiven.

Like beating the All Blacks this weekend.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think “international” should be deleted in the title. International rugby is the end product of what you do internally. The problem isn’t Test rugby, the problem is internal bickering and fighting for power.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 am
Regional Junior Player

loosechange wrote:
I think “international” should be deleted in the title. International rugby is the end product of what you do internally. The problem isn’t Test rugby, the problem is internal bickering and fighting for power.

But when you have the international dream then the internal bickering is irrelevant and pathetic.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:

Unfortunately, that is a national epidemic in Wales

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Langland Exile wrote:
loosechange wrote:

Unfortunately, that is a national epidemic in Wales

Why do you hate Wales so much?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
I can see the writing on the wall here.
Scots and Irish already playing a nice and exciting brand. England way ahead and France recovering.
Wales and Italy? nowhere to be seen. its depressing and worrying me we are not adapting at all. Tired and old hand coaches like McBryde and Howley need to go NOW and get people in for the 2019 world cup; People need to be refreshed and we aren't getting it with Wales.
why is the WRU allowing this to happen?
We are heading for two defeats in coming weeks and a terrible 6 Nations.
You heard it here first...

I'm delighted to hear a condemnation of the Scarlets in our national game.

The source is a bit suspect but Simple does claim local knowledge.

:D

:cyclops:

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:39 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next