It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next
Wales v NZ Match thread 
thread ruining clique

Post Re: Wales v NZ Match thread
BigRed wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
So, Priestland creates very little in an embarrassing game against Georgia, and folk want him back in the team? Can't see it personally.

The Priest created a lot, it was those around him that messed up.
Against Scarlets he completely outplayed Rhys Patchell and was a major factor in Bath beating the Scarlets.
Bath are currently in 4th position in the EPL amid rave reports about the Priest and going strong in Europe.
Ospreys with Biggar on the other hand......

As one of the most experienced internationals on the pitch last Saturday he ought to have stood out. He was the same as the rest of them - a decent first 20 mins then went MIA.
Last time he played against the ABs was the infamous 'thirteen man lineout' tactic, which saw Priestland miss touch with about ten penalties.
No disputing he's an excellent club player, but I don't see him as our first choice at this level. Biggar may not be the most spectacular, but he's steady and reliable, leads from the front and doesn't go to pieces under pressure.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:46 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:

Biggar may not be the most spectacular, but he's steady and reliable, leads from the front and doesn't go to pieces under pressure.

In short, he's waaaay better than most - isn't he?

5 games and 35 points for the 2017 Lions - https://www.lionsrugby.com/players/dan-biggar/

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:51 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

spinbreath wrote:
As one of the most experienced internationals on the pitch last Saturday he ought to have stood out. He was the same as the rest of them - a decent first 20 mins then went MIA.
Last time he played against the ABs was the infamous 'thirteen man lineout' tactic, which saw Priestland miss touch with about ten penalties.
No disputing he's an excellent club player, but I don't see him as our first choice at this level. Biggar may not be the most spectacular, but he's steady and reliable, leads from the front and doesn't go to pieces under pressure.

Actually I'd say Biggar does go to pieces under pressure, he gets gobby and starts throwing his toys out of the pram. It clearly gets to him and causes him to start forcing the game.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Actually I'd say Biggar does go to pieces under pressure, he gets gobby and starts throwing his toys out of the pram. It clearly gets to him and causes him to start forcing the game.

I don't agree. He did used to be like that when he was younger but he has matured over the past three or foure years. The Saints have signed him for next year as well and they generally don't make bad signings. Third in the pecking order of Uk outside halves on The Lions tour as well. I like him, he had an outstanding World cup last time around and helped dump you lot out of the competition!! Would you want him at Bath?

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 pm
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Ha, we had this argument in the summer. I argued the opposite... However for the sake of debate, I will agrew with you here!

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 pm
Profile E-mail

simondavis wrote:
Troron wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

I don't agree. He did used to be like that when he was younger but he has matured over the past three or foure years. The Saints have signed him for next year as well and they generally don't make bad signings. Third in the pecking order of Uk outside halves on The Lions tour as well. I like him, he had an outstanding World cup last time around and helped dump you lot out of the competition!! Would you want him at Bath?

The thing is the last time he did this was only last year, see England vs Wales before the NZ tour. He was acting bitchy from the second England got on top. Arguing with the ref, shouting, refusing to hand over the ball for a conversion. Those aren't the actions of someone who deals with pressure well. I'd say how he and Priestland deal with it is different. Priestland becomes less accurate and starts making silly mistakes, Biggar becomes bitchy and erratic.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Troron wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Troron wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

The thing is the last time he did this was only last year, see England vs Wales before the NZ tour. He was acting bitchy from the second England got on top. Arguing with the ref, shouting, refusing to hand over the ball for a conversion. Those aren't the actions of someone who deals with pressure well. I'd say how he and Priestland deal with it is different. Priestland becomes less accurate and starts making silly mistakes, Biggar becomes bitchy and erratic.

I would very much agree with Troron, that Biggar is neither over his petulance, nor able to think as clearly as some suggest; when under pressure.

You have only to watch the body language during the Aus game. Not only of him, but the team mates. Who are watching him rant after each turnover error, or fault, to realise he continues to have issues.

This most often acts adversely on the team. So his performances remain erratic. On form calm almost majesterial management. Off form catastrophic upon cohesion in so many ways.

All very much ego driven, like most confidence/performance issues. But then, he does think himself capable of being the best in the world. :)

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:25 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Biggar may not be perfect but I'm amazed that people are advocating Priestland after one scrappy win over a T2 side. If he had completely bossed that game, fair enough, but nobody came out of that match looking particularly good.

I'm dubious about Owen Williams at 12 - his only selling point as far as I can see are that he's the only real 10/12 available - and would rather have seen him play vs Georgia to get more time for both him and the team. But I also think that playing Roberts now would be a real step back; to be honest I'm not really sure why he's on the bench either - the big headline with this squad was how Roberts and Scott Williams had both been left out, yet it now appears that both of them will play.

A saving grace (albeit minor) is that Wyn Jones is on the bench over Smith.

I will say one thing which is that if the All Blacks lose they won't be able to claim their own injuries as an excuse, as we are missing so many players ourselves from our 1st choice XV (I count Lee, Warburton, Tipuric, JD2, North, Liam Williams - that's 6 players).

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

I have a funny feeling we will win this game, don't ask why as there is no logic to it, the All Blacks are doomed I tell you, doomed.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail

Team news. Not a bad side considering all the injuries: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42071404

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

All Wales' best players are missing, Lee, JD2, Liam, Warburton, Moriarty and North.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:05 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
All Wales' best players are missing, Lee, JD2, Liam, Warburton, Moriarty and North.

Yep im not saying thats not close to the best side available, but its an extremely poor international side.

Second rows and half backs in my view strong. Centres as a pairing must be a massive concern. Back row looks very fragile, back 3 have only one genuine attacking threat and his defense is suspect, Amos is not international standard.

It could get embarrassing.

Then we will blame the coaches :D Spin round in shock that this group couldnt match NZ :D

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Yep im not saying thats not close to the best side available, but its an extremely poor international side.

Second rows and half backs in my view strong. Centres as a pairing must be a massive concern. Back row looks very fragile, back 3 have only one genuine attacking threat and his defense is suspect, Amos is not international standard.

Then we will blame the coaches :D Spin round in shock that this group couldnt match NZ :D

As you know better than most from coaching, you can't put in what God left out... ;)

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:35 pm
World XV Player

Wales' chances just went up... Read out, injured. Luke Whitelock replaces him.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyCha ... s-20171123

Sam Whitelock captaining...

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:43 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

As you know better than most from coaching, you can't put in what God left out... ;)

:) My outlook would be that God delivers the breeze blocks, its up to us to build the house. :D

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next