It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:07 am

France v SA 
World XV Player

Post France v SA
France have named 31 players at the mo and have included the best of yesterday Chat, Macalou and Lacroix .... that's a big ask if they make the final squad after only 4 days ..?

Penaud is surely a 'must' pick ! He's been the outstanding omission to date for no apparent reason?

Le XV de France face à l'Afrique du Sud :

Chat, Guirado (cap), Maynadier (talonneurs) ; Kotze, Poirot, Slimani, Taofifenua S. (piliers) ; Gabrillagues, Jedrasiak, Taofifenua R. Vahaamahina (2e ligne) ; Cancoriet, Gourdon, Jelonch, Macalou, Picamoles, Sanconnie (3e ligne) ; Dupont, Serin (1/2 de mêlée) ; Belleau, Trinh-Duc (ouvreurs) ; Bastareaud, Chavancy, Doumayrou, Penaud (centres) ; Bonneval, Huget, Lacroix, Thomas (ailiers) ; Ducuing, Spedding (arrières)

https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... sud/850948

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:32 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: France v SA
Tony Panties wrote:
France have named 31 players at the mo and have included the best of yesterday Chat, Macalou and Lacroix .... that's a big ask if they make the final squad after only 4 days ..?

Penaud is surely a 'must' pick ! He's been the outstanding omission to date for no apparent reason?

Chat, Guirado (cap), Maynadier (talonneurs) ; Kotze, Poirot, Slimani, Taofifenua S. (piliers) ; Gabrillagues, Jedrasiak, Taofifenua R. Vahaamahina (2e ligne) ; Cancoriet, Gourdon, Jelonch, Macalou, Picamoles, Sanconnie (3e ligne) ; Dupont, Serin (1/2 de mêlée) ; Belleau, Trinh-Duc (ouvreurs) ; Bastareaud, Chavancy, Doumayrou, Penaud (centres) ; Bonneval, Huget, Lacroix, Thomas (ailiers) ; Ducuing, Spedding (arrières)

https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... sud/850948

Interested to see how the SA xv performs after the drubbing they had in Ireland. :sleepy2:

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bienvenue à Paris/Welcome to Paris!

On arrival 13 SA players were subject to a dope test
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... les/851069

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Bienvenue à Paris/Welcome to Paris!

On arrival 13 SA players were subject to a dope test
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... les/851069

A friend in SA says the only dope is the coach. :D

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Your SA friend is wrong... Coetzee is just the biggest dope in the party.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:15 pm
World XV Player

SA squad, opinion Smurf?

Le XV de l'Afrique du Sud face à la France
Coetzee, Leyds, Kriel, Venter, Skosan, (o) Pollard, (m) Cronje, Vermeulen, Kolisi, Louw, De Jager, Etzebeth (c), Louw, Marx, Mtawarira

Remplaçants : Mbonambi, Kitshoff, Nyakane, Mostert, Du Preez, Paige, Jantjies, De Allende

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm
World XV Player

French squad v SA

Ducuing – Huget, Doumayrou, Bastareaud, Thomas – (o) Belleau, (m) Dupont – Gourdon, Picamoles, Cancoriet – Vahaamahina, Gabrillagues – Slimani, Guirado, Poirot
Remplaçants : S. Taofifenua, Maynadier, Kotze, Jedrasiak, Jelonch, Serin, Trinh-Duc, Penaud

My opinion :

Dont lik the FB, don't understand why the most promising centre in France Penaud is only on the bench and his first section in this concentrated fixture list :scratch:

Bellau will be a risk but having picked his debut v NZ in the first test why not a Magnus Magnussen, I've started so I'll finish :D

Same pack as v NZ in firs test ... they suffered extremely scrum time and Slimani got a yellow .. Not long ago Slimani was considered one of the best tight heads around, until ...the new World Rugby reffing co-ordinator, Rolland, wrote to World Rugby refs regarding what he considered suspect technique??

Summary, it is back to square one with same absentees and unavailability to include some successes in 2nd 'test' eg Chat, Maclou, Lacroix because of the only 4 days interval

Taking a line through the SA disastrous tour and continued absences ... SA are favs imo...although the home crowd in Paris will be an advantage.

Bookies have it Fra by 4

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
SA squad, opinion Smurf?

Coetzee, Leyds, Kriel, Venter, Skosan, (o) Pollard, (m) Cronje, Vermeulen, Kolisi, Louw, De Jager, Etzebeth (c), Louw, Marx, Mtawarira

Remplaçants : Mbonambi, Kitshoff, Nyakane, Mostert, Du Preez, Paige, Jantjies, De Allende

Alistair Coetzee is still in charge, so imo it doesn't really matter who they select.

However;
I think Pollard would normally be a huge step up, but hardly played so no idea of
form. And with Ross Cronje still at 9, Pollard is going to be under pressure every time. I'd have started Paige.

We've got better wings at home, and a potential FB star (Geland) but we still go with Andries Coetzee. I suppose he's the least bad of the back three. You guys really REALLY should be kicking high bombs at Skosan, you'll have a whale of a time.
Venter (normally a 13) playing at 12 is worrying but he has to be worse than horrific to be a downgrade from de Allende. Who shouldn't be on the bench; should be back at club rugby re-learning the game of rugby. I would have preferred Am on the bench, ahead of him.

Forwards were spanked last week too, but it's no way as bad as our back line. Vermuelen coming in is easy because of injuries and poor stocks. Hopefully he channels his 2014 self. Kolisi really needs to start knuckling down. Such potential but seems when the going starts getting tough he backs off, which pisses me off.

If France can stop crashball, Pollard straightening, Kriel running sideways, and aimless kicking, I reckon they'll take it by +8.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 pm
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
SA squad, opinion Smurf?

Alistair Coetzee is still in charge, so imo it doesn't really matter who they select.

However;
I think Pollard would normally be a huge step up, but hardly played so no idea of
form. And with Ross Cronje still at 9, Pollard is going to be under pressure every time. I'd have started Paige.

We've got better wings at home, and a potential FB star (Geland) but we still go with Andries Coetzee. I suppose he's the least bad of the back three. You guys really REALLY should be kicking high bombs at Skosan, you'll have a whale of a time.
Venter (normally a 13) playing at 12 is worrying but he has to be worse than horrific to be a downgrade from de Allende. Who shouldn't be on the bench; should be back at club rugby re-learning the game of rugby. I would have preferred Am on the bench, ahead of him.

Forwards were spanked last week too, but it's no way as bad as our back line. Vermuelen coming in is easy because of injuries and poor stocks. Hopefully he channels his 2014 self. Kolisi really needs to start knuckling down. Such potential but seems when the going starts getting tough he backs off, which pisses me off.

If France can stop crashball, Pollard straightening, Kriel running sideways, and aimless kicking, I reckon they'll take it by +8.

Thks
Looks like a close run thing then :D

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm
World XV Player

I don't think it's going to be close at all.
But then, I was expecting another smashing by NZ after the Albany disaster, and we 'only' lost by a point... So what do I know.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm
Regional Player

France at 4/7 to win looks interesting especially as they'll be looking for some payback for the Summer tour.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Owens refs so that should be ok for both sides

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am
World XV Player

Press and public appraisal and my two-penneth :

The team v SA is nearly the same as the compromise choice v NZ in the first test.

Local position and appraisal is :

-That Fra selection was walloped in the 1st half v NZ (31 points) but, strangely came back in the 2nd and took the half’s points, possession and territory. It was a truly compromised selection and the match v SA in the constricted timeframe after the 2nd non test match v NZ inhibits some selections of stand out players.

Concerns :

Was the better 2nd half performance ‘real’?

Slimani is going through a torrid time since Rolland’s (World Rugby ref committee Chairman) formal criticism of his ‘technique’ … he has fallen from one of the best tight head around to yellow carded and consistently pinged. If he cannot retrieve validity and effectiveness he’s finished internationally .

The immediate issue is if he’s pinged again in the match it will be a big swinger for SA.

The SA 2nd row is better and stronger by some degree.

The young Bellau at 10 will have his second cap, don’t dispute the choice in the circumstances (Lopez absence and need for development) but it is risk.

By popular opinion (significant on line poll ) this selection does not correspond to prime choice even in the circumstance of significant level of enforced absentees. The FB and Wing Thomas is not popular, why Penaud @ centre has been ignored to date a mystery?

Both Picamoles and Huget long term Fra prime players are in poor form and luck lustre performances in SA will likely be being dropped. Even Guirado the Capt is having criticism in this respect .. as a player an a Capt

France pen kicking capability is not International level (Bellau)

SA beat a similar Fra team composition by more than 20 points each match in the 3 recent tour matches!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, ok, ok … get your excuses in first but on the other side of the equation ..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second half performance v NZ was encouraging and they scored more points and significantly dominated territory and possession in that half?

Young Dupont has been a stand out success in this 4 cap matches and is catalytic in his effect.

Basta has been in significant form and is worth his place back

The Fra back row are capable of competition, a key fulcrum.

There are SA absences and selection issue and they have recently been well and truly trounced. Concerns have been expressed e.g about their 10. (I really don’t know the level of their concerns in this respect) Smurf has given some account (above) which suggests similar issues to those in France.

Morale is suspect and Coach much criticised and they are coming off a big downer.

Playing at home will be a significant + for France and proved so in NZ test at Stade de F and also at Lyon.

Reffing shouldn’t be a prob, Owens top notch
Significant issue both teams and <I confess to majoring on the Fra versions!!
Bench aspects not commented

Bookies have it Fra by 4 (??)

I’d bet SA by 5 - 10 and even more if issues like scrum proven .. I have the SA pack to take the upperhand, potentially big time.

Either way perhaps a watershed for both incl. those players and officials with mostcurrent influence?

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:35 pm
World XV Player

I don't think France will have it as easy as some might think SA aproud rugby nation will come out fighting.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:34 am
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
I don't think France will have it as easy as some might think SA aproud rugby nation will come out fighting.

Dai, I haven't met anybody that thinks that, both teams desperate for a decent win.
SA for me as stated.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:15 am