It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 am

Aaron Shingler 
Regional Junior Player

Post Aaron Shingler
Aaron Shingler, is he a potential International second row? I feel he would be a real asset in the second row, but not really sure why his playing there is never discussed.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:48 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Aaron Shingler
redpodrhys wrote:
Aaron Shingler, is he a potential International second row? I feel he would be a real asset in the second row, but not really sure why his playing there is never discussed.

Yes, especially with all the injuries in that department currently.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:19 pm
Profile E-mail

His scrumaging is the key , can't say I've ever seen him play in the second row and you just can't turn up at that level and scrumage like you've played there all your life it takes a lot of time to get the angles and binding right

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

He has been the Scarlets best forward over the last 6 months and is more effective in space and thus I don't see him in the tight 5.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 pm
Regional Junior Player

Big And Dull wrote:
His scrumaging is the key , can't say I've ever seen him play in the second row and you just can't turn up at that level and scrumage like you've played there all your life it takes a lot of time to get the angles and binding right

Yes I can only see his scrummaging as potentially being a problem to this. I am not sure he would struggle with technique, but does he have the necessary bulk, and would he be willing to put in the graft at scrums. I feel we need a player with his qualities in the second row to complement the skills set of AWJ, Ball, Charteris etc. Seb D could also be that man.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

They will have 4 locks in the squad and can choose from AWJ, Charteris, Brad, Ball, Cory Hill, Seb Davies, that's 6 players

Even if they think Charteris is past it and Brad is shit, I still think they will want to give the experience to Hill and/or Seb rather than pick Shingler who as many have pointed out hasn't played much at lock recently.

Back row on the other hand, with Warburton, Moriarty and Ellis Jenkins injured, and Lydiate a shadow of his former self, he has every chance to play and IMO should be starting at 6 against Australia.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

They seem to have allowed him to play a different style of rugby this last year or so. Previous to that he was doing heavy work which did not really suit him. He is much more at home using speed and dexterity.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I don't think you can pick shingler at lock. He doesn't have the power for it

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
They seem to have allowed him to play a different style of rugby this last year or so. Previous to that he was doing heavy work which did not really suit him. He is much more at home using speed and dexterity.

Yes, he is far more effective in open play, and is far better used by the Scarlets under Pivac

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 pm
thread ruining clique

I'd pick him in the back row. He's been excellent there for Scarlets recently. Warbs is out, Lydiate out of form, Tips injured. We need back row options. I'd be looking to bring in Seb Davies as and Corey Hill as lock cover.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I'd pick him in the back row. He's been excellent there for Scarlets recently. Warbs is out, Lydiate out of form, Tips injured. We need back row options. I'd be looking to bring in Seb Davies as and Corey Hill as lock cover.

He didn't cut the mustard previously lacked the physicality needed. However he appears to have imoroved many aspects of his game and probably deserves another chance. Best backrow lineout option in Wales.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:

He didn't cut the mustard previously lacked the physicality needed.

I am just wondering if this isn't the tip of the iceberg in recognising that skill is as important as brawn in the game?

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

As someone pointed out at the time, during the Pro12 semi (was it Leinster or Munster? Can't remember), a Scarlets backrow consisting of two players overlooked for the Wales B team tour - Cubby and Shingler - totally outplayed a backrow consisting of players already picked for the Lions.
Shingler was a third or fourth choice injury replacement last time he was capped, but he's improved hugely since then.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 pm

If it was the Pro 12 semi, then that'd be Leinster.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Blindside wrote:

He didn't cut the mustard previously lacked the physicality needed.

I am just wondering if this isn't the tip of the iceberg in recognising that skill is as important as brawn in the game?

I think the game has moved on in one aspect and that is there is now far more people looking for a play maker at 12, everyone always wanted one, but they wanted a bulldozer more, you seldom get both together. The consequence is, we see a little more 3 and 4 pass rugby rather than the constant 1 and 2 pass rugby. So skill is creeping up the priorities. A forward at the top level needS skills but if you lack the ability to take contact really well, then you will never be a TOP player. Shingler used to get out muscled but he hasnt lacked physicality at club level recently.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 pm
Profile E-mail