It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Sean O'Brien 
World XV Player

Post Re: Sean O'Brien
One should also remember Gatland did work in Ireland and he was 'sacked'....so they have some direct experience....?

Probably irrelevant to this particular event but nonetheless worth saying?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 pm
World XV Player

I love O'Brien, I hope Howley reads this and does the decent thing and Gatland and his bunch of yes men do one as well. Welsh rugby has gone walkabout and we need a new coaching team.

Welsh rugby is going backwards, the players are there but the lack of creativity and vision is glaringly obvious. These men have become entrenched and just pat each other on the back whilst welsh rugby becomes a laughing stock.

Howley sadly is not a respected leader, his media interviews are a car crash and he looks like ghost who struggles to impose himself. People skills are vital as a coach and he is lacking in this area. I dont know what these guys do for personal development, but frankly it looks like they do *fupp* all.

To be a world class coach you have to research every area you can and leave no stone untouched to get the extra edge. These guys just dont give me the impression they would do this.
Pride can close your mind to ideas and when you are up against it you dig in your heels and your vision narrows and you rely on instinctual habit of survival.

I predict losses against all the SH teams. We have the players but the flow is not with this team. The habit for this team is for losing.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

I really don't know wtf the Welsh coaching team have to do to get some respect Last 6 N we came within 1 poor defensive kick of beating England, 2 of them have coached on the 2 most successful Lion's tours in a generation and we just sent a 2nd xv on tour and beat 2 teams our 1st xv have struggled to beat in the past
I remember the dark days of the 80's and 90's, give me what we have now compared to that anyday

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Big And Dull wrote:
I really don't know wtf the Welsh coaching team have to do to get some respect Last 6 N we came within 1 poor defensive kick of beating England, 2 of them have coached on the 2 most successful Lion's tours in a generation and we just sent a 2nd xv on tour and beat 2 teams our 1st xv have struggled to beat in the past
I remember the dark days of the 80's and 90's, give me what we have now compared to that anyday

I'd say Wales are a decent team but people are comparing it to the team from the early years of Gatland that was much more dominant in the NH. I'd say that was largely due to England and Ireland going through some quite poor patches combined with Wales going through a good patch that made it look like Wales were much further ahead of everyone else than they were. Ireland and England then caught up and now the balance between the teams is more even again.

I'd say the thing that makes the Welsh coaching stand out for criticism are the absolutely dire performances outside the 6N for the past few years compared to the other teams.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Austin healey had some interesting things to say in the Telegraph. For once he's largely talking sense.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Troron. It’s not even now. England are fair way ahead of us.
I really dislike the stuff O’Brien and Vunipola are coming out with. It’s pointless talking about whitewashes. No one has any idea whether the Lions would have done that much better under Jones or a better attacking coach.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
cosh wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
SOB seems a really good bloke and it is an odd commentary in top level rugby, which that generally believes in silence to the media on touchy issues. I tend to believe what he says, especially having watched the videos of the South Africa tour with the saem coaching staff which is very telling.

Puts the pressure on Wales for the AI's at a minimum.

Agree with you on this. I've recently spoken to a Welsh player who was on the Lions tour and think SO'B is accurate in his comments. It's highly unlikely that any Welsh player will come out publicly and say anything against Howley or Gatland whilst they are still in charge of the Welsh set up. Not sure about his 3 - 0 comment, but that's just a matter of opinions.

If you watch Howley on the 2009 tape, it is clear players are not listening to him. He has zero presence and sounds stressed beyond belief. That high pitched voice doesn't help...neither does looking like nervous wreck. Players respond to calm assurance and support, not hysterics.

A tape is not a good way of working out whether a coach is good.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
I love O'Brien, I hope Howley reads this and does the decent thing and Gatland and his bunch of yes men do one as well. Welsh rugby has gone walkabout and we need a new coaching team.

Welsh rugby is going backwards, the players are there but the lack of creativity and vision is glaringly obvious. These men have become entrenched and just pat each other on the back whilst welsh rugby becomes a laughing stock.

Howley sadly is not a respected leader, his media interviews are a car crash and he looks like ghost who struggles to impose himself. People skills are vital as a coach and he is lacking in this area. I dont know what these guys do for personal development, but frankly it looks like they do *fupp* all.

To be a world class coach you have to research every area you can and leave no stone untouched to get the extra edge. These guys just dont give me the impression they would do this.
Pride can close your mind to ideas and when you are up against it you dig in your heels and your vision narrows and you rely on instinctual habit of survival.

I predict losses against all the SH teams. We have the players but the flow is not with this team. The habit for this team is for losing.

Why shoud he quit after he sees this?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
cosh wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
SOB seems a really good bloke and it is an odd commentary in top level rugby, which that generally believes in silence to the media on touchy issues. I tend to believe what he says, especially having watched the videos of the South Africa tour with the saem coaching staff which is very telling.

Agree with you on this. I've recently spoken to a Welsh player who was on the Lions tour and think SO'B is accurate in his comments. It's highly unlikely that any Welsh player will come out publicly and say anything against Howley or Gatland whilst they are still in charge of the Welsh set up. Not sure about his 3 - 0 comment, but that's just a matter of opinions.

If you watch Howley on the 2009 tape, it is clear players are not listening to him. He has zero presence and sounds stressed beyond belief. That high pitched voice doesn't help...neither does looking like nervous wreck. Players respond to calm assurance and support, not hysterics.

A tape is not a good way of working out whether a coach is good.

With due respect, when you consider that the coaching team probably had editorial rights, I think it is. They show Howley addressing the group, it was laughable. He's just not up to it, period.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 am
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

Why shoud he quit after he sees this?

By the way he is almost crying when giving team messages, I doubt he will..

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 am
World XV Player

Worrying if comments accurate

Long suspected gatland has the dressing room but possibly not the other coaches

Shame for howley as he was a top player in a time when they were few and far between

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
One should also remember Gatland did work in Ireland and he was 'sacked'....so they have some direct experience....?

Probably irrelevant to this particular event but nonetheless worth saying?

I mentioned 3 episodes.

Anyone who looks at Gatland's remarkably successful career might be able to see the Irish connection on two occasions, TP.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 am
Club Player

Troron wrote:
I'd say Wales are a decent team but people are comparing it to the team from the early years of Gatland that was much more dominant in the NH. I'd say that was largely due to England and Ireland going through some quite poor patches combined with Wales going through a good patch that made it look like Wales were much further ahead of everyone else than they were. Ireland and England then caught up and now the balance between the teams is more even again.

I'd say the thing that makes the Welsh coaching stand out for criticism are the absolutely dire performances outside the 6N for the past few years compared to the other teams.

Spot on Troron.

We are OK in the 6N, and ONLY OK, but always seem to come up short against SH opposition. For the life of me I can't work out why we are such shite, is it the selection/players/coaches/game plan etc., or a combination of such factors.

Whatever the reasons they need addressing urgently but, irrespective, I can't see anything but a few hammerings coming our way in the AI's.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Quote:
Warren Gatland is to seek a meeting with Sean O'Brien in an attempt to clarify the reasons behind fierce criticism by the Ireland flanker of the British and Irish Lions' coaching team during the drawn series with the All Blacks.
Gatland, the Lions head coach, is thought to have been both surprised and disappointed by the comments from O'Brien, who claimed the Lions should have won the series 3-0 had it not been for the coaching methods on the tour.
Rob Howley, the Lions backs coach, came in for personal criticism by O'Brien, who claimed Jonathan Sexton and Owen Farrell were left to run the attack for the second test and also the training workloads.
There is a sense of frustration that O'Brien, as a member of the senior players' group, did not raise any of these issues during the tour while claims that the coaching team "panicked" before the first test by staging a triple training session on the Thursday of that week is also thought to be strongly disputed.
O'Brien's criticism was followed on Friday by Billy Vunipola's own barb at Gatland - with the loose forward insisting the Lions would have swept the All Blacks if Eddie Jones was in charge of the side.
Vunipola told BBC radio show Radio Four Today that Jones, the current England coach, would have done a better job than Gatland.
"I wasn't there on tour but I guess if he [O'Brien] is saying it and the authority he said it with, he's probably right," Vunipola said.
"For me to sit here and say the Lions would have probably won is wrong. But personally, my opinion is that if Eddie Jones went as coach they would have won 3-0. He is that good."
Since Jones took over as England coach the side have lost just one of their 20 tests. They haven't however faced the All Blacks - a team they have beaten just once in their last 15 tests :D :D .

SoBs twitter response also
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11925405

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
cosh wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

I agree that Howley just doesn't seem up to it at this level.
Wales have been poor as an attacking force for some time, with one of many low points being our failure to score a try against Australia when they were down to 13 men at the RWC.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next